Shooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hmmm. ..I'm thinking about it. .two 444's a 2019 remlin and a 1975 444's JM ..
Both 22 in. Barrel one Ballard rifling 1in22 twist and the other 1in38 twist ..both get equal turns and time on the sand bags facing the croni with the 200yrd. target down range both get a equal share of Hornady and remington ammo followed by every kind of reload I have on hand 240gr JSP to 330gr Beartoothbullet. ...that should come to at least 50 rounds per rifle ...so I gess I'll go get one ..there out you know ...and in stock I keep looking here to see if any info has been posted ..

·
Registered
489 Posts
I purchased my Marlin 444 new in the early 1980's. It's my brush gun for deer and bear, great out to 100-150 yards. Great quality, the blueing is still 100%. I keep saying I'm going to get some property in upstate New York. I think the key thing that holds me back are the crazy gun regulations in the state.

Reactions: jimboro

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There's a cure for what els you onelongshot .move to tennessee. .ha.. my 1975 444's has fired many around in my 500yrd target with 265gr fn and 300gr xtp..there's a good 3ft. difference between the two but the 300gr xtp group 6 to 7in. ..the 265 are more like 8 to 9in I believe that could be improved apon and thats counting every shot not just the good ones by a better shooter than i..the rifle is able but the man is 62. Ha..Retirement ain't that what it's for. .but will a new remlin 444 do as well ..I'll let you know. .

·
Registered
52 Posts
I got my LGS looking for one of the new Marlin lever action .444 rifle foe me.The suppose to give me a call when they get one.

·
Registered
429 Posts
.......my 500yrd target with 265gr fn and 300gr xtp..there's a good 3ft. difference between the two but the 300gr xtp group 6 to 7in. ..the 265 are more like 8 to 9in I believe that could be improved apon ............ .
If you ask me, shooting paper plate groups at 500 yards with a levergun is pretty darn good.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
You can find all kinds of info on how large flat nose bullets just ain't no good ..beyond 200yrd. .where is Billy Dixon when ya need him ..the mile long shot.
But let me tell ya the T4 with the Hornady 265 flat nose still packs plenty of punch ..I have one of the 265gr fn that I found lodged in a large cedar and had to dig a while to find it and it is a beautiful mushroom with plenty of cedar rouldup in the jacket I keep it for any one who wants to argue the point ..ha.. the target at the time was taped to a 24x24 box 4ft tall filled with old carpet from a house I was updating with all the shoe mold and baseboard stuck in the middle. .I was hoping to ketch one of the shots but all passed through. .I was impressed. .the range was 500yrd. So always be sure of your back stop ..never found any of the 300gr xtp just a lot of shot through limbs

·
Banned
6 Posts
You can find all kinds of info on how large flat nose bullets just ain't no good ..beyond 200yrd. .where is Billy Dixon when ya need him ..the mile long shot.
But let me tell ya the T4 with the Hornady 265 flat nose still packs plenty of punch ..I have one of the 265gr fn that I found lodged in a large cedar and had to dig a while to find it and it is a beautiful mushroom with plenty of cedar rouldup in the jacket I keep it for any one who wants to argue the point ..ha.. the target at the time was taped to a 24x24 box 4ft tall filled with old carpet from a house I was updating with all the shoe mold and baseboard stuck in the middle. .I was hoping to ketch one of the shots but all passed through. .I was impressed. .the range was 500yrd. So always be sure of your back stop ..never found any of the 300gr xtp just a lot of shot through limbs
+1

1 - 11 of 11 Posts