Shooters Forum banner
1 - 1 of 19 Posts

· Inactive account
2,571 Posts
<!--QuoteBegin--kevinm+Feb. 19 2002,05:45--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (kevinm @ Feb. 19 2002,05:45)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hi guys-

Sorry for not being more specific on where I'm located. Unfortunately it is a little too far to take you up on your kind offer BCstocker since I'm on the other side of the country in Nova Scotia;-(.
  That .62 dollar certainly does hurt. To give an example to our American friends, in a fit of enthusiasm I ordered 50 cast bullets from a supplier in the U.S which cost $16.00. It cost $16.00 for shipping and customs tacked $8 on for handling and GST. The two $16.00 charges where in U.S. funds so I ended up paying over fifty dollars for 50 lead bullets! Way too much.
  Jack, I never knew that recoil would affect impact like that. I've got five pounds of H4198 on the way because it appears to be a powder that can be used for a wide range of power levels in the 45-70. Would you reccomend it? My prefered velocity will probably be somewhere around 1300 to 1500fps for plinking. And I'll give Steve Kochak a call for sure.
  I was leaning towards the 405gr simply because it appeared to be the traditional standard weight but since I purchased this gun primarily for the pure fun of shooting and shooting a lot I think the 350gr Saeco and 327gr RCBS look promising from what you all say. Is there a significant reduction in recoil by using the lighter bullet? As well, I think I recall Marshall Stanton writing that 95% of Marlin rifles in 45-70 do best with a cast bullet of .460 diameter. Will either of these moulds drop bullets of that size or at least .459?
  BTW, does anyone have any suggestions as to what is going on with my Lee mould. I'm having one awful time trying to get the bullets to fall from the mould. I've smoked it and also tried some stuff called Rapine mould release but have not had much luck. The strange thing is is that the bullet will stick to one side one day and the other side the next. Arkypete, I must say I thought about firing one of those bullets at the thing last night;-)  

That's enough for now I guess.

God bless
Kevin
Truth is not concerned with how many it persuades.
Henri de Lubac
********[/quote]
Kevin
You made a good choice. IMR 4198 is very good in the 45/70,in that velocity range. Another good powder,a little slower,is Reloader 7.
Good luck,
Frank

1 - 1 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.