Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First let me say, "Happy New Year" to everyone, and thank you for the information from my other post about starting out!

I finally ended up with a brand new T/C Hawken .54 to start out with:D I drove up to The Gun Works in Eugene, Oregon (over 2 hours) yesterday, and brought home a late Christmas present with all the goodies. I traded one of my older Remington 700's plus some cash.

I will be heading out to the range to shoot her today if the freezing rain will stop:(
The local club is having a shoot on the 10th, and I hope to get out there if I can get done with work. Spring bear season starts in April and I want to be good and ready.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
You have a great rifle and a great caliber. Being a .54 caliber, even roundballs harvest most any game you want to shoot. I like the performance of a .54 roundball. Every deer I ever shot with one, never went far and I always got pass through (except once.. the ball went through one and broke the spine on a second).

Maxiball also shoot well out of them. Good luck with your rifle and keep us posted. My friend shoots that rifle with 90 grains of powder and a roundball or 80 grains and a 300 grain REAL conical and takes deer every year with it. I shoot Renegades.

·
Registered
67 Posts
VP,

Good Luck with the new .54.

Happy New Year

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Keep yore powder dry, and B sure ta watch yer topknot in the New Year ! ;) :D

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You have a great rifle and a great caliber. Being a .54 caliber, even roundballs harvest most any game you want to shoot. I like the performance of a .54 roundball. Every deer I ever shot with one, never went far and I always got pass through (except once.. the ball went through one and broke the spine on a second).

Maxiball also shoot well out of them. Good luck with your rifle and keep us posted. My friend shoots that rifle with 90 grains of powder and a roundball or 80 grains and a 300 grain REAL conical and takes deer every year with it. I shoot Renegades.
Does your friend use blackpowder or something else? The reason I ask is that I only bought 1 pound of black powder. I have been doing some checking and no one here in my area carries black powder. I do not want to drive close to 3 hours one way. I am looking at buying some Pyrodex Select or ??? Ant suggestions would be greatly appreciated:D

·
Premium Member
1,683 Posts
Does your friend use blackpowder or something else? The reason I ask is that I only bought 1 pound of black powder. I have been doing some checking and no one here in my area carries black powder. I do not want to drive close to 3 hours one way. I am looking at buying some Pyrodex Select or ??? Ant suggestions would be greatly appreciated:D
My Lyman .54 likes 75 grains of Goex when shooting round ball. I have used Triple 7 with good results and no mis-fires too, and if I couldn't get anymore Goex easily I'd use it again.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I headed out to the range today after church, and it was closed:( I am going to try and get out tomorrow afternoon to shoot her if the weather can hold off for another day...this is killing me!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts