Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Surf fishing for 25 years.

New 870 Express with a cantilever fully rifled barrel and a field barrel. 12ga.

1) How far from the eye should an average length scope be? (Cheap REM scope came with it).
2) Can you teach me a little about fitment, cheek placement (pads?) and stock placement.
3) How do you look determine if a gun needs an extender for sizing?

Out of the box, the field barrels front sight bead was off center and I sent it back for a replacement. Warranty up now and when I went to get help sighting in the scope, the shop showed me the cantilever was mis-drilled from the factory and it was not in a parallel alignment with the barrel. Back of cantilever was off to the left compared to the front. He installed new adjustable ( left and right, each way) mounts and we got a great set ( he shot 4 I shot 1).

I think scope may be too far back though cause I got kicked in the safety glasses at the range on Sunday. That being the reason for my questions. I will get a picture on tonight.

I shot 15 slugs at the range and never had an issue, then got it reset as per above and got knocked in the glasses on the 2nd range shot this weekend.

Not about blame, I just want to learn. Could be my lack of skill.

Always knew the value of a good pair of safety glasses.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
If you move your head in and out in relation to the scope until the field of view is complete, and then the scope dings your face, your scope doesn't have enough eye relief. It will hit you no matter where you set it, because the full feild of view position is going to be relatively the same. It depends on the proximity of your eye to the scope, which will be the same no matter where you mount the scope. Unless you have a really weenie scope, I suspect you are holding the gun too loosely. Try setting it into your shoulder more firmly. It will hurt less too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you

That would be a logical explanation that maybe I should have thought of but glad to know it now. I measured last night and came in around 2.5 inches from top of nose/eye. Got some pictures too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts