Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need a good load for a 480 ruger . using a 355gr bearstooth cast bullet. with gas check. can anybody help... thanks :confused:

·
Banned
41 Posts
355gr loads

HI there,355BT powder-H110-WLP Primer-
" " -26.0gr-1368
" " -27.0gr-1379
" " -28.0gr-1395 (MAX)
powder-LIL GUN -24.0gr-1336
" " -25.0gr-1350
" " -26.0gr-1376.
These loads are 2" at 25yards sand bags

·
Banned
87 Posts
Junglecat
I have used all the before mentioned loads in my SRH 480 and had the same results but I wanted to do better then 2 inches at 25 so I went to a 400 grain cast with 20 grains of H1110. 1150 out the barrel with a KO of 32 and it's fun to shoot. When I tried the 300+ bullets they were not that fun to shoot, but to each his own
Bob

·
Registered
71 Posts
JungleCat

HI! I'm new to this forum, just migrated from the Marlin forum. I have a 480 SRH with 9 1/2 bbl. While I don't have a specific load for your bullet, I do have a couple good ones;

Speer 274 gr GDHP
WW 296 34.0 grs
CCI 350 Primer
Velocity: 1,690 fps (Speer data, same gun)
Accuracy: 1 1/2" 5-shot group @ 50 yds, 3 group avg.

CPB 410 gr WFNGC (Cast Performance Bullets)
WW 296 21.5 grs
CCI 350 Primer
Velocity: 1,250 fps (Chronograph)
Accuracy: 1 1/4" 5-shot group @ 50 yards, 3 group avg.

All testing was done with a Burris 2-7x scope set at 5x. WW 296 and H110 powders are the same, so I stuck with my large stash of 296. I did try Hodgon Lil' Gun. It was to erratic on pressure. I would ease up on max 0.5 grs at a time. The Lil'Gun powder would start to show a slightly flattened primer, then wam. A 0.5 gr increase and you had to pound the case out of the chamber. I have heard similar comments from magazines and forums. Yes, I did check my lot # for the Hodgon recall. All of my loads will flatten the primers slightly, yet still extract normally. I did find that all of the Cast Performance Bullets were very accurate. I have tried or witnessed their grouping ability in the 357 mag, 44 mag, 45 Colt, 454, 480, 450 marlin. Hope this helps.

·
Banned
548 Posts
Babore, Hello, and welcome to the boards.
Thanks for he timely information.
I am thinking about either a .454, or a .480 Ruger.
It is still a tossup as of which one to go with. I am sure it will be a factory rig, with a little tlc.
Then to try to figure out what bullet and loads are best.Just trying to figure out what would be best for a regular carry sidearm for the trails and fishing camp, up yonder in the northern lights.

Thanks, Halfbreed

·
Banned
548 Posts
Kcih, Thanks for the thought.
I have looked aty loadswap, comparing cartridges that way.
Around here there are not many shops with anything other than either 9mm, or the .45 auto, with a few small - med frame revolvers.
When you try looking into the big bores, everyone just looks at you kinda wild eyed.

Thanks John

·
Registered
71 Posts
Halfbreed,

Got into the 454/480 discussion on the Marlin Big Bore forum, things got quite opinionated. Bottom line, they're both good rounds. You'll get higher velocity with the 454 using the lighter (260-300 gr) bullets. When you get into the heavyweights, 454 360 gr, things start to equal out. This high velocity does come about with a much higher operating pressure, gun wear, etc. The 480 can handle much heavier bullet weights. From your post I gather that your looking for bear protection. That means frontal shots which means penetration and stopping power. Bigger is better. Take a look at John Linebaughs penetration test with different calibers. He
has a web site or you can link through several bullet & custom sixgun sites. He shows that a heavy, large caliber slug, at 1,200 to 1,400 fps will out penetrate even the same bullet at a higher velocity.

In regards to the comment on the Hodgon data, I to was dazzled by it. But it's not real world. A pressure barrel was used for testing, so your velocities are going to be lower. I used their data when first working up loads for my 480. I could get near their max charge with WW 296 but pressure was excessive. Cut my thumb up trying to push a single empty out of my SRH. Very very sticky extraction, yet the primer was not excessively flattened. Backed the loads down for easy extraction. I have heard of the same problems with the 454. Note; this does not seem to be the case with the Casull or custom guns (Tight chambers). Hope this helps.

Hey a side note from a newbie. How do you log out of the forum? The only place I've seen was at the reply screen.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,312 Posts
The five little buttons on the top right of the screen, it's the second from right. Hold your mouse pointer over them for a second (without clicking) and the button's function should pop up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts