Shooters Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, I'm new to the site...this place seems terrific, I went back 20 some pages of this sub-forum and found a ton of information!

On to why I'm posting...I currently use a Remington Model 700 BDL .270 caliber as my main rifle for white tail deer hunting in WV. I'm looking to buy a new rifle...namely a make/model that I'm not afraid to take out in the rain, definitely a synthetic stock and stainless barrel. I'm also looking for a caliber that will take down larger deer such as elk/caribou and large bear for future hunting trips. I think I've narrowed it down to a couple different makes and models and a few different calibers:

Ruger M77 Hawkeye All-Weather
Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather SS

These two makes/models seem to be the most comfortable to me. I've handled the Remington Model 700 SPS and it seemed extremely unbalanced and uncomfortable. Anyways, the Model 70 is definitely the more comfortable of the two above. How do they compare as far as build quality and out of the box accuracy with factory loads? Is there a better quality choice for the money (Browning, Savage, etc.)?

As far as calibers go, I like the .300 WM, the .300 RUM, and .300 WSM. Its between those 3 calibers...I like the versatility of the .300 RUM with its different power levels, the availability of the .300 WM, and the efficiency of the .300 WSM. Which of the three do you guys feel would be best for my application?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Ghott, welcome to the forum, it's a great place. First off I have a 300 RUM in a Remington 700 Sendero SFII along with a few others here and I really like the different power levels offered. It's like having 3 calibers in one and it has the potential to be very accurate. Secondly, be prepared for alot of different opinions about the 300 RUM, a good many will be negative. Your .270 caliber is more than enough for anything in the lower 48 and then some, I personally wanted to have the option to step it up and get some longer distance shooting expirience under my belt. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
I love Ruger's, so my vote goes there. I also have a Ruger .300 Win Mag, and a Remington in .300 RUM.

I say take the Ruger in .300 Win Mag. I'm not a big fan of the .300 shorties.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I love Ruger's, so my vote goes there. I also have a Ruger .300 Win Mag, and a Remington in .300 RUM.

I say take the Ruger in .300 Win Mag. I'm not a big fan of the .300 shorties.
From reading back through this forum, you seem to be rather knowledgeable on a wide variety of calibers. I don't mean to project, but I believe I read a post of yours stating something along the lines of the .300 WSM being kind-of unproven and that it could eventually go away while the .300 WM will undoubtedly stay around for a very long time? If I'm incorrect, do you think you might be able to expand your thoughts on why you aren't a fan of the .300 WSM. Or maybe a PM might be more appropriate if you don't care to make your opinion public?

Thanks to both of you for posting!

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Well... you mentioned "large bear"... so for me that would rule out a .30cal. I've never hunted "large bear" before but I imagine if I did, I'd want something with a bigger diameter, .338 at a minimum (.338WinMag at the minimum) and probably something more like a 9.3mm (9.3x62 at the minimum) or .375cal or maybe even bigger. But that's just me (I'd rather not get eaten or otherwise mangled and I'm scared of bears ;)). (I know certain authors have said a .30-06 should be fine even for big browns but I wouldn't want to risk it.)

If I had to go with a .30cal, I almost assuredly would not go with a 300WSM because I'd want something that shoots bullets with a high sectional density well (over .300, and that means something over 200gr in .30cal) and the 300WSM would have problems with bullets that heavy/long, I think... The 300WM seems to have factory loads only up to 200gr on midwayusa (handloading, obviously, you can put what you want on it) so it might even be suboptimal with the heavy bullets. So, from your list, I'd have to go with the RUM.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
From reading back through this forum, you seem to be rather knowledgeable on a wide variety of calibers. I don't mean to project, but I believe I read a post of yours stating something along the lines of the .300 WSM being kind-of unproven and that it could eventually go away while the .300 WM will undoubtedly stay around for a very long time? If I'm incorrect, do you think you might be able to expand your thoughts on why you aren't a fan of the .300 WSM. Or maybe a PM might be more appropriate if you don't care to make your opinion public?

Thanks to both of you for posting!

My favortie of the shorties is the .325 WSM. The .300 WSM is an answer to a question no one had. When loaded hot, it does not match the .300 Win Mag, and is no more accurate. Not to mention ammo for a .300 Win Mag can be bought at every back woods gun shop between here and Alaska.

·
Registered
7,891 Posts
I may be wrong, but I think if you decide on the .300 RUM then you're not going to have a choice on a brand for the rifle anyway.:eek: I've never seen a Ruger or Winchester so chambered anyway, Remington only. Nothing against the caliber, but the rifle needing a 26" barrel in a L/A rifle to get full performance from that caliber turns me right off. Not a rifle I want to lug around all day, nor ever think of carrying slung over a shoulder while atop a horse riding through timber. I got rid of a longish .300 mag for just that reason, too darn long!:mad: I own both the mod 70 and Hawkeye and think them both excellent rifles. If it were me I'd go with a WSM, with added performance in a compact package. I own some SM calibers in Remington mod Seven rifles and they are very handy with the S/A and 22" barrel. Pick one up and see.

I also agree with the above posting regarding the .325WSM. I own one and it's recoil is not much more than a .300 mag. The performance is VERY close to .338WM using bullets up to 220gr and giving nearly 4,000 FPE at the muzzle. Have a look at a SS BLR/.325. Very nice rifle!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, for caliber I think it'll be between the .300 WM and the .300 RUM if...I stick with the .300 caliber...the .325 WSM is intriguing though. I guess if I like the .300 RUM that much, I'll have to find a Remington Model that is comfortable. The Remington Sendero's look very nice, but their price tag is a big turn off :(

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Well, for caliber I think it'll be between the .300 WM and the .300 RUM if...I stick with the .300 caliber...the .325 WSM is intriguing though. I guess if I like the .300 RUM that much, I'll have to find a Remington Model that is comfortable. The Remington Sendero's look very nice, but their price tag is a big turn off :(

Like this one ? :D Yea, the price stings a little.

Then here is my Rugers

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow, that Sendero is a beaut!

Forgive my ignorance, but are those Ruger's M77 Hawkeye's or Mark II's?

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Out of the 300 's I vote 300 WM . It does what the 300WSM will do, it's cheaper to buy , handles the heavier bullets and easier to find on the shelf when you off the beaten track.

But you do not need all that gun for black bears as many have been shot dead with a 30/30, so why not consider the 3006? It would met your requirements
You could also have a peak at Rugers compack Mags in 300 or 338 That 20" barrel sure would be handy,and ammo is cheaper if you look than the 300 WSM .

·
Registered
7 Posts
ghott

I agree with Tang; stick with standard calibers. I know that when I go to Wally-World or Accademy, I don't see WSM or RUM on the shelves. Check with Midway or Cabelas to compare ammo cost and casing cost (if you reload). A .300 WM or .30-06 are cheaper to feed and available at most places. If you just have to have an oddball, then get a Weatherby .300 Weatherby Mag MachV. They make the all weather rifle you described.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts