Shooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HERE is a great video of ammo production in a brand new plant somewhere. The last portion is S&B.
This is machine-centric and seems ignorant of ammo basics so they skip from the first step of case making to swaging pistol bullets, but then show jacketed bullets being loaded and priming done by 'riveting machine', but the photography is well done, the action can be slowed and it shows how engineers spend their productive time.
I can see the head mechanic getting a call--"Hey! Something jumped timing somewhere!!" :eek:

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
That's pretty amazing, and good to see. Makes my operation look pretty low tech, even my progressive.

·
Registered
5 Posts
tdoyka, I am probably even behind you! Would certainly be hard for me to keep up with my Micro Precision single stage. Even have the first two dies that I loaded for--30-06 & 222 Rem. They are Micro Precision dies as well. An old Nebraska company that I am sure most people have never heard of.

Watching this process underscores two things for us--(1) even in major production systems they are always consistent and uniform with their processes and (2) the way these loaded cartridges are handled points out that loaded ammunition is not as fragile as many believe.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Pretty neat video. Cranking it out.:cool:(y)

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
8,302 Posts
ATESCI is a turkish company, the video is from a channel akin to "How's it's made". Didn't finish watching it, but a new video from that channel, doesn't inherently mean it's a new facility.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
15,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was looking at the condition of the equipment and facilities as a judge of age.

·
Registered
118 Posts
HERE is a great video of ammo production in a brand new plant somewhere. The last portion is S&B.
This is machine-centric and seems ignorant of ammo basics so they skip from the first step of case making to swaging pistol bullets, but then show jacketed bullets being loaded and priming done by 'riveting machine', but the photography is well done, the action can be slowed and it shows how engineers spend their productive time.
I can see the head mechanic getting a call--"Hey! Something jumped timing somewhere!!" :eek:
Thanks for sharing. Really interesting and a lot cleaner than I thought it would be. I recognized the color of the projectile of the jacketed 9mm as S&B. (y)

·
Registered
70 Posts
JBelk, I agree with your observation about the age of the line(s). The video was made either just after plant commissioning or even during the phase just vefore commissioning. Everything from floor to tooling is sparklingly clean. Heck, the paint/finish on the tools is still intact!

The language used is not our std NA vernacular, it's likely the titles on the bottom were original with the English added on top from a ESL (English as a Second Language) person.

It is an intresting show. I read (1980ish?) one of our USA manufacturers put in a new line, capable of many 1000's of rounds per ... minute? They instituted a process at every station of due the work, then gauge, then gauge again. It was so fast that to get any real info for the setup guys they had to photograph w/high speed cameras then watch in slo-mo. It may have been Lake City but I think it was commercial.

One thing this should tell folks is it is no small task to do a change over to another cartridge. Unless they are remarkably similar, everything from those cogsworth cogs to forming tools to gauges has to be changed. Not quite like sliding a different tool head into your Dillon. Sorta puts some perspective on why they'll run 9x19's for weeks (millions of rounds) before they switch to .45ACP.

Cool find & thank you for sharing!

·
Registered
7,810 Posts
How about a little comic relief to ease the ammo "pains"??

😂

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

·
Registered
118 Posts
How about a little comic relief to ease the ammo "pains"??

😂

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I found all of the laser/optical QAQC measures interesting. There was a short sequence near the end where they were weighing bullets (I believe 9mm) and one got removed from the line. I think it was over weight. I didn't try and replay it as my internet is spotty and sometimes has issues with videos.

Overall a very cool video.

·
Premium Member
15,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The Remington plant in Arkansas is in testing now with production scheduled for first of May. According to Wisconsin Outdoor News.

·
Registered
118 Posts
The Remington plant in Arkansas is in testing now with production scheduled for first of May. According to Wisconsin Outdoor News.
True, Vista Outdoors has their **** together and are gearing up to run full speed. Doesn't hurt to already have companies (CCI,Speer, Federal) that make cartridge components. I'm sure they will continue on with Remington's already successful offerings. Good news!

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
8,302 Posts
True, Vista Outdoors has their **** together
😳😳

Maybe Metz is changing things, I stopped paying attention to them. During it's creation and DeYoung enjoying his golden parachute originally, they certainly did not have anything together.

Reactions: fxdwgpig
1 - 16 of 16 Posts