Shooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We just bought our first AR-15. Stag Arms, Model 2 (223/5.56) chrome lined barrel. We shot 200 rounds in about an 1 and a half hours. On our last magazine my wife dumped the 30rd mag. The barrel was glowing cherry red around the gas tube on the barrel. Probably 3-4 inches of the barrel was glowing. I'm a little concerned with this. I need some people to let me know what I should do. I'm in contact with Stag but I want to make sure I don't fall for ill advice. Being it's brand new. I was shooting brown bear ammo..Russian ammo that the dealer said is decent.
I plan on buying another one Thursday at a gun show...what brands would you guys recommend?
Jeremy Moore

·
Registered
583 Posts
Brands, DPMS is good, Bushmaster, colt, you'll pay more for but they might be better. Stag Arm is supposed to be good so it's hard to imagine this issue. I've never seen a barrel get red hot from one mag of dump fire. If that was normal those army boys would melt their guns to a puddle of goo in a fire fight. I've dumped 4 or 5 mags in an AR and in a mini 14 and had hot barrels but even then not glowing cherry red. That seems excessive to me but I don't count myself an expert on the AR platform yet. I'm still working my way through my first 1000 rounds in mine.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
There is no way in the world a 30 round dump will make a barrel glow red, especially a semi-auto, not even when bump firing. I've done too many and it just cannot happen. I have even dumped a hundred rounds through my AR pistol with a Beta-C mag in there and it still did not glow red. Of course I cannot dump 100 rounds by bump firing without interruption but not long ones, and it still did not glow red. Sorry, you may have seen the gas tube, which I still doubt would glow red with only 30 rounds, or wanted to see it glow red so badly that you thought you you saw it glow red, but one thirty round mag dump, no way.
With a chrome lined barrel a 30 round dump is not going to hurt it, but if you care anything at all about your rifle you won't be doing that often if ever again. Even chrome lined barrels have had their throats eroded from such activities if done enough but in just 30 rounds, no harm.

·
Registered
117 Posts
There is no way in the world a 30 round dump will make a barrel glow red, especially a semi-auto, not even when bump firing.
Exactly. I don't know whats wrong but it doesn't sound right to me. I have a Rock River and love it. They all come standard with a match grade trigger, very nice trigger. I have bump fired a couple of 30 round mags before and it got hot but no where near hot enough to glow.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Try a different brand of ammo and see if you get the same results. If this is not some kind of super light weight barrel you might look down your bore and see if its rifled. Maybe have it slugged, it may have been chromed after being cut as a barrel that would not be chromed it may be chambered for 5.56 but the bore maybe for a .204 or 5.45. One would think this would cause other problems, but it does seem as if there is a lot of friction to create that kind of heat.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I dumped 120 rds from a drum thru a Colt M16 a few years ago, the gas tube was red and smoking...nothing more...

Last summer, I dumped three 30rds banana mags and then a 75 rd drum though a FA AK, the gas tube and gas port area were all cherry red and the wood handguards were on fire...a bottle of water cooled it all off and it shot fine afterwards.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I have tried to cause an M-16 barrel to glow and after firing hundreds and hundreds of rounds as fast as I could, full auto, 30 round magazines with people handing me the mags, I couldn't get the barrel red. The gas tube was cherry red but it didn't warp or spark or melt.

Kudu40

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
I think we can all agree the OP was a drive by BSer and likely has never fired a real rifle let alone an AR-15. Barrel glowing red by one mag dump, not going to happen even in full auto, and in semi-auto that is a laughable statement.
This thread should be locked if not outright deleted IMO.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.