Shooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a great forum and one of the few with a M94 subforum. I've been wanting one for a while and just picked up this nice 1928 Trapper M94 in .30 WCF.
Very clean, bore is like new, all original finish and parts. It appears that it hasn't been shot much.
At the range the gun is grouping (with my old eyes,lol) 1" @ 50 yrds.
I've been hunting for the last 20 years with a Marlin 1895 in 45-70 but can't wait to kill a Deer this fall with this Winchester.
I have a couple questions but will post another thread.
It appears I can't post pics, I think I read that I need a certain amount of posts so ASAP, I'll get pics up.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,657 Posts
25 and 10 days on the forum. You can use a host like Photobucket in the interim.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Welcome to the world of Winchesters. Tis a fine carbine you have there. Good photos help all us collectors and this one has me puzzled. Did you check the year of manufacture ? 1928? A few things dont add up to a 1928 date. 1925 was the last year a saddlering was used however the buttstock dates from 1936 to 1942, the tang markings are from 1931 to 1939, the barrel markings date from 1925 to 1937. The rear sight while not difinative dates to the mid thirtys and later. May I ask what the barel lenght is? Anyway fine looking carbine. If I may make a suggestion, remove the buttplate with the proper screwdriver and check for identifing marks. Many rifles and shotguns had owners name, initials, dates ect scratched either on the underside of the buttplate or on the buttstock.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dam, I had my suspicions about the rear sight but all that really throws me for a loop.
I check the serial number and yup, it comes up at 1073*** so 1928.
I can't understand because as you mentioned, I looked it up and yes, 1925 was supposed to be the last year of the saddle-ring..

The barrel measures 20" from the muzzle to where it meets the bolt, or where I would imagine the end of the threads are.

Regarding the tang, it is a type 6. That is for approx SN 1,080,000 and up to 1,180,000 but is the key word is Approximately..?
Can the later tang be used for a SN roughly 6000 plus units prior?
That is a intresting question to me as well as the saddle ring issue. I keep looking at it and it looks just lke all the photos in the book. Could it have been added after, by the factory? by a gunsmith? It looks like it belongs on the reciver, if you know what I mean.

I'll tell ya, it's been one of those days.
I dont mind a mix master M1 carbine as I sort of expect it but I guess Im a little surprised to have issues with this gun. I was told when I bought it , it was all original.
Thanks Remchester for bringing it to my attention, in a tactful way.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So if the Barrel markings jive, which I think they do, then this may be the original Barrel.
I think the biggest issue is the Saddle ring, no?
Is it possible that it was added to increase the value, desirability?
I'm not sure on the stock but it would seem to me that it would be one item that would be the most likely to be changed out.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I'd like to ask a question. Could some of these items have been special ordered from Winchester? A lot of that was done back then. Just something to think about.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Yes the saddle ring could be ordered as an option but one option guns are just not heard of. If you were going to add a ring from the factory, why not order a few other options. Anyway a fine carbine and researching is what these sites are all about. Will be interesting to do further study.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, so good, If the barrel is original and the ring was special ordered,,that is pretty neat.
The stock, sights and rest of it I'm not up to speed yet but will post as I figure it all out. It is fun, your right Rem. Thanks for all the help everyone.
Maybe I'll get the letter from the museum to see what that kicks up..

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks RemC..I am looking forward to posting a pic in November of the Deer I take with it. It is a sweet little Gun. I spent some time with it today and studying this gun is really neat.
I should back up and say that it was actually listed as a 1929, on the tag.
When I bought it, the salesman, looked up the serial number and said, no, it's a 28, so I looked it up that night when I got home and saw that according to the the charts, it was very late 28.
Further digging revealed two things to me.
Number one, some of the dates/vs marking charts are approximate and listed as such.
Second, out of roughly 23,000 94,s produced in 1928, this gun falls by serial number in the last 3000 or so as far as it's serial number goes in relation to the chart.
The tang is correct for a 1929, being a type 6 used in 1929-1930
The barrel marking is a type 6 also and was used throughout 28-29, so the receiver and barrel do line up and using all this info, I think the original tag was right and it is a 1929.
The hammer is a second design which is correct.
The stock is I believe (and please correct me if I'm wrong) a pre-war style butt-stock made to approx 1,300,000 with a # 55 butt-plate. That is the same stock in the picture on pg. 87, bottom of page in Robert Rennenbergs book. Furthermore, it is fluted and that is described as a special order stock, rare on the M94s. that is all correct for 1929.
I do now suspect that the saddle ring and the shotgun type stock w/flutes were special order.

As time allows, I'll post what I learn about the sights and the rest of the gun.
This is a blast looking it all up. The factory at that time was about 10 miles from where I grew up. ( I was not around in 1929, lol, but the history is fascinating.
Please let me know if you have further information on the stock, if I misidentified it. Also, I removed the plate and there was no markings under or on it.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
IMHO, the rear sight blade is too close to the receiver ring, for the vintage/SN, and may be a later or longer replacement (which would move the sight leaf more rearward) - although it looks like a Winchester 22F Sporting rear sight.

Regarding the distance of the barrel dovetail cut for the rear sight from the receiver,
pre-SN 960,000 (approx) should measure 2 3/8",
Fron SN 960,000 (approx) to 1,300,000 (approx), the measurement should be 3 1/16",
Starting in the 1,100,000 SN range, the measurement is 4".

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Ranger..I saw that discussion in the book but haven't had the time to check it yet. I'm Leary to pull it out now as checking something leads to 2 hours later and I've still got the gun and the books out and I need some sleep! I'll measure it tomorrow and post.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts