Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at putting together (my first) a rifle for a winter project.  The only question I have concerns the chamber.  I'm getting a pre-threaded, short chambered Shilen from Brownells in 243 for a Mauser action.  I'd like to AI the chamber when I hand finish ream.   I'd like to get input form any who have done this before.  Guess Im not sure if reaming to AI is too much for hand work.  The chamber is currently .050 short.

Thanks......

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Curt

As a gunsmith I advise you to take this part of the work to a shop to have it done.  There is a lot of difference between deepening a standard chamber a few thousandths and opening it to an Ackley configuration.  The shoulder of the Ackley reamer will contact the existing chamber wall long before the reamer pilot is into the bore to guide the reamer.  The chance for an out-of-line or out-of-round chamber are too great to chance.  The gunsmith will be able to do the job in a lathe and keep it straight.

The other advantage of having a gunsmith do the work is that you won't have to buy a set of headspace guages to do one job, he will have them.  If you shop around you will probably be able to find a shop which will do the reaming for about the same price as the guages, he may even have the AI reamer and save you another &#3685 bucks.

This is definitely an area where DIY isn't a good idea unless you have a background in this sort of work, but if you did, you wouldn't have asked the question.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CB Hunter

Thanks!....

I checked three smiths.  They all charge right at &#36100 to do the job. One of them thought it would be a good idea to set back the chamber one thread to cut a completely fresh chamber.  Now all I have to do is decide if I want a tight neck.

THanks again......

1 - 3 of 3 Posts