Shooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my 5.5" Ruger Bisley this afternoon (my first single action).  After I gave it a good cleaning, I loaded some sized and primed brass to see how things fit.  When the cylinder is rotated, there is a high spot on what appears to be the loading gate cam that catches on the brass and REALLY drags hard.  When I open the gate, the cam piece sits flush but when I close the gate, it sticks out just enough to catch the brass when it tries to rotate. This happens on R-P, WW and Starline brass.

Will someone take pity on this pour soul and tell me of a home fix that that will remedy this problem?  Oh Sweet Annie I DO NOT want to have to send this sixgun back to the factory for repair; it hasn't even been on its Maiden voyage to the gun range.  

·
Beartooth Regular
1,177 Posts
Alan,

Being you just picked it up, perhaps you could take it back to the dealer to see what he thinks. Is he a 'smith?

Regards

·
Registered
192 Posts
Alan,

Just send it back and let the fine folks at Ruger make it right. While its there they could open up those cylinder throats free of charge couldn't they?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He's alive....MT is alive!  :biggrin:

Good to see back on here my friend.

One thing I've learned about the fine folks at Sturm Ruger and Co. these past few months is that they love the phrase "it's within Specs".  Brother, if whatever it is you've measured falls within their spec charts, ya might as well save your breath cuz they ain't gonna listen.

Ray - the local gunshop, while well supplied with firearms, does not have an in-house gunsmith.  They have all of their work done by a smith a couple hours drive south of my location.  IF their smith can have the Bisley returned within a few days, I'll go through them.  If not, I'll send her back to Ruger.  I disassembled the Bisley last night to inspect the loading gate spring.  Nothing appears tweaked and no burrs present.  Either a new spring needs to be installed or the existing spring needs the thickness reduced by about 1/64" (that portion which rides on the loading gate itself).

·
Super Moderator
3,366 Posts
Alan,

This seems like a simple job:  Here's a short list of tools needed before you get started:<ul>
<li> 6" Heavy Duty Angle Grinder with coarse stone
<li> 5.5 foot 1" diameter pry bar (with fine point)
<li> 3 lb. sledge for light duty roll pin removal
<li> 8 lb. spitting maul (for heavy work and grip removal)
<li> Cutting torch with fresh tanks of oxgen and acetelyne
<li> BIG vice with serrated jaws for extra holding power.</ul>

This should get you started and the rest should be easy! :biggrin:

And of course if this doesn't work, you can always send it back to Ruger! :cheesy:

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Howdy Marshall -

As luck would have it, I ran out of acetelyne last night when I was welding the grip frame on.  It seems I sheared the screw heads off during disassembly and I had to drill the buggers out.  Good timing on that list.  I'm gonna need one of them 5.5 foot fine pointed pry bars to pull her apart so I can use the coarse stoned angle grinder for a little trigger work   :biggrin:

·
Registered
935 Posts
Hi Alan,

Well, you certainly brought back some memories for me.  I got a SBH about 2 years ago and I had what sounds like the same problem.  I think that when you mention the loading gate cam you are talking about that part of the loading gate spring that rubs against the loading gate to keep it under pressure and allow for cylinder rotation.  Mine (it's a funny looking spring) stuck out just enough to drag on the cases and it drove me crazy till I figured out what it was.  

That day I was looking for a challenge and both bent the spring and filed it back to "spec".  I would not do that again.  It is so much easier to spend the couple of dollars and have Ruger send you a replacement spring (or 2 to get the best fit).  Then you are back in business.  It is also a wonderful time to order some extra little parts that are easy to loose.  &#3615.00 can save you a lot of heartache when you have a small inventory of screws and springs.  No, they don't normally break but I have lost them when dismantling the gun.  

Hope this helps.

God bless..................  Bill M

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just an FYI - S.R & Co. acknowledged receipt this afternoon of my new Bisley.  In the spirit of childhood cross-country road trips, I wonder if I should call each day with a "is it done yet" to expedite the matter?  I mean, what are the chances of someone telling me, "Don't make me come back there MR!"  :biggrin:

·
"Bad Joke Friday" Dan (moderator emeritus)
7,762 Posts
Alan,

Just to brighten your day up, I'll tell you about the time I sent my Vaquero Bisley in to Ruger because the base pin kept ejecting out  -- couldn't cock it, etc..

Three weeks later they sent the revolver back with everything the same and a bright colored card that said, "Make sure the base pin is pushed all the way before shooting".

Let us know what your card says.

Dan

·
Super Moderator
3,366 Posts
As our friend and mentor James Gates would say, " Ruger delivers the best do-it-yourself handgun kit in the world!"

Hope Ruger does it right for you!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
59 Posts
DOK,
I had a friend who had that same problem with the base pin shooting out whenever shot.  Even with very light loads.  I installed a Wolf Srping kit, complete.  Even the center pin retainer spring.  Now I know that this wasn't the proper fix on this gun, but it sure did solve that problem.  I think that the factory one was just a little to weak and not holding the retainer in the notch on the center pin.  That kit isn't that expensive and it sure does drop the trigger pull also.  This was about 4 years ago and it has yet to jump out.
Just a thought,
God Bless

·
Banned
61 Posts
I sure hope the factory gives you satisfaction on yr. gun.  
It's possible that the problem you reported is caused by the spring/cam part not being correctly seated in the cylinder frame, when the grip frame was installed.  (Ruger calls it the gate detent spring...part #MRN73 on the parts list in your gun's manual...you DO have the manual don't you?)
It's easy to get this spring in cockeyed...and when you do, it causes the very problem you described. If the gun was like this out of the box, I'd suspect a new factory assembler and a QC program with its thumb in the shady part.
Ruger, like Microsoft, has a tendency in the last few years to declare deficiencies 'standard'.
They may just reassemble the gun correctly and return it saying it was 'in spec'.
The part is cheap...if it IS in fact oversized, or the little right angle bend that fits in the cranny under the gate is bent too far forward, a replacement would be a simple thing.
Sorry I didn't see your post sooner.
Wish I could have more confidence in Ruger, but they lost me after they repeatedly returned obviously defective pieces with that arrogant '...it's in spec' message. My last Ruger purchase, a Bisley .41 Magnum, arrived with a polish/blue job that looked like it had been applied by a beginner. It shot so darn well I've tried to learn to live with it. After all, if we want an SA that will take the loads we like, what reasonable  alternative have we? Not everyone can afford a Freedom Arms. Like the man said, above...look at the Ruger as a sturdy inexpensive 'kit' gun, that can be an excellent pistol when 'finished'.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Alan,

I just sent my Bisquero off with my "smithy" for some refinements to the sights. Looks like a barrel band that pins into existing front sight, sight trimmed down and dovetailed to accept new blade for more height and made of something that will blue. Also having rear notch opened a bit for visibility and a spring steel insert set so that I can get away from the magical dissapearing stainless sight.

It would be a cryin shame if they were perfect right out of the box, heck, a fella could not fritter away the hours pondering how to customize if they were!

Leaving Tuesday for the Caribou grounds. I love this time of year.

Scotty

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for letting me cry in my beer fellas  :biggrin:

Slabsides wrote, "you DO have the manual don't you?".  Well - sorta - it's in the gun case that I used to ship the Bisley back to the factory!  I know Ruger will do right by me.  It will be another week before I can pit the Bisley against my Redhawk for accuracy.  It'll be tough to beat now that I have my Redhawk shooting sub 2" groups @ 25 yards.  It's amazing what a little load development can do for accuracy!

Scotty - you are going to have your ultimate packing pistol when all is said and done.  I know the Good Book says not to envy but Brother, them Caribou grounds your headed off to sound ever so tempting!  Are you guiding anyone from Stickbow?

·
Registered
572 Posts
Alan,

the way it came together was most likely accident or providence. It was easy once I figgured out just how big (physical size) I would be willing to carry day in and day out while stalking the brush or tundra with my longbow. Cost was the next concern...I could not spring for one of Gary Reeders easy packin .475's. The 'recoil factor" nixed the real big honkers since I am a recoil whimp!

I believe that in time I will have what will work well for me and hope I never have to use it for defence.

I am making the trip with Jay and his son, and also a bamboo bending bowyer from O-Hiya. Since I am not "guiding" as such, I can also hunt, unlike when I am under contract and theoretically making money.

Scotty

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've never had the pleasure of meeting Jay - I simply know him by his excellent reputation....and he's a lawyer no less- go figure  :biggrin:   Good to hear you'll be walking the tundra with a braced bow while in such fine company.  God is good, eh!!

Be sure and give that Cheshire Cat grinnin' Gepetto a hearty handshake from the Spamorama.  

Alan

1 - 17 of 17 Posts