Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see Ruger has a Blackhawk in 327 Fed that is an eight shooter. For those who understand revolver timing. Could one get a interchangeable cylinder made in 32-20 that is only a six shooter. Isn't all the indexing stops on the back of the cylinder ?

Gunblast has a write up on it.

·
Banned
217 Posts
There is quite a bit that goes into the timing of a revolver, while the index is on the back of the cylinder, the length of the hand would probably push the cylinder to a point past (or not close enoughto) the cylinder stop.
Another problem here is that I believe the bore diameter of the two cartridges are different enough that a 32-20 bullet would not grab the lands to stabilize the bullet.
I know Ruger had a Black Hawk in .32 mag with an interchangable cylinder for .32-20 Through Buckeye Sports (They were a custom outlet for Ruger, I don't know their status now).

Regards
Gene

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
The Buckeye's have been discontinued for a long time.

No you could not put a 6 shot cylinder in a gun timed for 8. You can shoot .32 S&W Short, .32 S&W Long, .32 H&R Mag, and .327 Federal, so I don't think there would be a legitimate reason for .32-20 in the new Blackhawk.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Buckeye's have been discontinued for a long time.

No you could not put a 6 shot cylinder in a gun timed for 8. You can shoot .32 S&W Short, .32 S&W Long, .32 H&R Mag, and .327 Federal, so I don't think there would be a legitimate reason for .32-20 in the new Blackhawk.
Sure there is a legitimate reason , I would have a revolver to go with my marlin in 32-20.

My neighbor has a Ruger Buckeye and both 32hr and 32-20 use .312 bullets. The eight shot cylinder would cut alot of weight since his 32hr cylinder has a lot of steel in it.

·
Registered
750 Posts
They used to make Single Six's in a 32 cal.

If its not the right one, it could probably be rechambered or you could have a new cylinder made for a convertible.

·
Registered
298 Posts
The .32-20, .327 Federal and the .32 H&R Mag all use a .312" bullet. Checking the case dimensions, I don't think a .327 can be rechambered to .32-20.

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
If Marlin still made a lever gun in .32-20, I would agree, but they don't, and .32-20 is basically obsolete now. Colt and a few other companies have made traditional SAAs in .32-20 and they are all over the auction sites if you really want one.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Marlin and Ruger have a tendancy to make runs of odd calibers . The cowboy action crowd keep these older cartridges going. I just bought my marlin this last fall and their are shops that still have them in the rack. When the inventory that is out there is depleted they usually make a run again. It's been a while since Ruger has made a revolver in 32-20. Buying on line takes all the fun out of shopping for one. You don't get to go to all the gunshows and stop buy the local shops from time to time.

·
Registered
833 Posts
+ B O W E N + Bowen Classic Arms - Custom Revolvers, Pistols and Guns Repair and Pistolsmithing If you have the Buckeye Model you can send your 32 H&R Mag cylinder to Bowen and have them rechamber it.It costs $95 plus shipping and handleing which I believe is about $15.You can still shoot 32 H&R mags in it.They could also possibly rechamber the other to 32/20 but I'm not sure about it.They can make ya about any thing ya want if money is no object

1 - 9 of 9 Posts