Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about getting the Blackhawk "convertible" that can fire .45colt and .45acp with the second cyl.
Anybody out there have one and what are your comments....

·
Registered
201 Posts
I must confess three things 1)Ruger makes the finest firearms and has the best service of anyone.PERIOD.
2) I am a HUGE fan of the 45 Colt 3) I am a HUGE fan of the ACP..
My only experience is that in 1974 I bought a M25 [email protected] is a "convertible" if you will..BUT it's cylinders are chambered for  45 Colt and to shoot ACP's, you use half-moon clips and then fire in same cylinder..I like this..I don't know that I would like changing cylinders..BUT if anyone could do it right Bill Ruger and Co. can do it...Cause if it ain't right it don't hit the street,,As for my gun (The M25),it is accurate with both rounds..No problem..  

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,336 Posts
I have a "200th year of Liberty" .45 convertible, and I really do like it.  The .45 ACP cylinder with ball ammo makes for a nice low recoiling shooting session.

Can't go wrong, in my opinion.

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
 Thanks for the info guys,--- just went the local "goodie" store and put a down paymwnt on a "convertible".  Sold an EMF peacemaker clone and now the hardest decision was to go with the 4 7/8 or stay with 5.5 ...  chose the 5.5, figured I'd git better accuracy out of the 5.5.   Got to love the old .45colt.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have a pair of New Model Blackhawks in .45 Colt/ .45 ACP.  Both of mine have 5 1/2" barrels.  I have never shot the .45 ACP cylinder in either revolver, but the fellow I purchased one of them from never shot the .45 Colt cylinder.  His targets with the .45 ACP looked great (that was one of the reasons I bought the gun from him), and I have been very pleased with both cast and jacketed bullet reloads in both using the .45 Colt cylinder.  Guess you just can't go wrong with a Blackhawk!  Odessa

·
Registered
3 Posts
m141a

I've had the Ruger convertible for a couple of years now.  Bought it new.  I love this combination.  You can plink all day with the ACP and use the Colt cylinder for the heavy duty stuff.  I've been meaning to take it deer hunting but haven't.  I do a lot of paper punching and bowling pin blasting.  I have been exploring new loads for the Colt round.  I had read that it can almost reach .44 mag ballistics.  Much to my surprise, I'm finding that it can be loaded to more power than the .44.  It will shoot some real heavy bullets.  
Good luck with your convertible.

rjoy

·
Registered
205 Posts
I bought a 4 5/8" bbl Ruger Blackhawk .45/.45ACP convertible in 1981. I've carried it on many elk hunts, camping, with stout .45 LC loads, and used the .45ACP cylinder for SASS. I've got good accuracy with both cylinders.

For just general plinking, it's hard to beat that ACP cylinder. My load for that is a hard cast H&G 68 200 gr. SWC, with 5.8 grs WW231. (That's what I also use in my Colt's Govt. Mdl. for IPSC/IDPA.) Very accurate.

I've turned several friends onto the convertible, and so far, they've really liked them. The only thing I've changed is putting on a pair of good stag grips from Ajax, about 18 years ago.

Best of luck. L.W.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts