Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been wanting a 6.5 of some type. Had a .264 WM eons ago, but not really looking for that again.

Had my eye on either a 6.5 Grendel or the Creedmoor. I know it's the flavor of the month, but it can be found in a variety of rifles (bolt action only for both).

Ammo and brass can be picked up reasonably easy for both. The Grendel would be a nice round for my Grandson, but I think I could make up some suitable loads with the CM too. Not interested in the Swede before this thread gets off track.

Any suggestions? Pros and Cons?

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
So far everyone I know that has a 6.5 Creedmoor really loves them. I read somewhere that you can form cases for it out of .308 cases, but I was thinking that 6.5 had a slightly longer case so I don't know about that one. I find many once fired cases at the range and would send you what I have if you decide to go that way. I don't know much at all about the Grendel. I kinda like you am chasing putting a .35 caliber in the collection this year and had decided to go with the .350 Remington, as I picked up some dies and 7MM brass cheap and have already formed about 50 cases. Good luck with your hunt. I think that you will have much success. :)

·
Registered
459 Posts
I have both the Grendel & the CM & both are great rounds. Which one is right for you depends are your intended use. If it is the Grendel the CZ 527 bolt action is a good choice. The CM comes in tons of great choices, which makes it hard to choose. Tell us more about your purposes & we can give you some idea which one is for you. Better yet, just buy one of each!!

·
The Shadow (Super Mod)
7,146 Posts
For a bolt gun, I vote Creedmoor. It's been around and prolific for long enough, to only be a "fad" for the more owly folks.

It is much like the 308, in that it's very easily loaded with little fuss.
Very early on I was making brass from 308 cases. Lube them well, a run through a Lee FL die, then a few moments on the trimmer.
If you have hardened brass, there will be a somewhat high cull rate; but I wasn't short on cheap 308 brass.;)

Let us know what you choose

Cheers

·
Registered
910 Posts
I have a 264 and a Swede. If I were looking for another I think I might go 260 rem. But my Swede dose very well in the Mod 70 ftw. So unless I run across the I can't pass it up deal I'm set for now.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
before the brass came out to everyone, i used to make 6.5cm from 22-250 brass. lube it up, put in in your 6.5 cm reloading die and it comes out 6.5/22-250 brass. i have some somewhere.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
For awhile I was in the market looking for a 6.5 m/m and was interested in the 6.5 Grendel. After reading about it and comparing it with the regular 7.62 X 39 m/m, the Grendel is not that much better.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
10,434 Posts

Hear of a lot of new wanna be elk hunters going gagga over the 6.5 creadmorr. Able to swack 7X7 400 class bulls at 1500 meters, one shot. In your dreams buddy.

Anyways, go with whatever you want, at least you are out shooting, I hope. A guy I work with has both a creadmorr and a grendle. To my knowledge he hasn't shot either of them and we shoot together quite often.

My two cents might only be worth a plug nickel or at least a grin 😁

RJ

Reactions: JWSmith1959

·
Registered
459 Posts
I just hope that we can stick to answering the OP's inquiry & not turn this thread into another senseless Creedmoor/260 Rem argument or an opinionated treatise on the pros/cons of longrange hunting. I think those subjects have been beat to death here & it's time to move on. Besides, nothing in the previous post has anything to do with the OP's original question & sounds more like it came from a "Troll" than a Supermoderator of this forum. Just sayin'.

·
Registered
11,940 Posts
Its been about 4 years since I tipped my toe in the 6.5 water. I was looking more to the 260 Rem but the rifle I wanted wasn't offered in that chambering, however it was available in the creed. After owning, reloading, forming brass and shooting the creed I have no regrets.
The forming brass wasn't a necessity but I had an overabundance of LC 7.62 cases so used what was there.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
HH...I promise I am not a "troll:. I have a little money an am truly interested in the .264 caliber. My Dad had a .264 WM in the early 60's and got rid of it due to recoil. I never knew him to be sensitive to that, so I am guessing it was the rifle.
I am also interested in 7mm along with the 6.5....so the 7-08 is another possibility. Shucks....I might buy both.

TC Compass?...Savage Axis...Ruger Predator....

I don't own a Compass so maybe get one for a try?

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
10,434 Posts
I think Hawkeye Hunter was referring to me..

I was only reporting what I've witnessed not what rifle you should buy. Whatever you get we need pictures to drool over.

RJ

·
The Shadow (Super Mod)
7,146 Posts

I looked at the compass for a time as well. I honestly don't remember what it was that I disliked.... maybe a goofy twist?

The Axis/Edge/whichever - They use even more MIM that Savage got into. Personally I'm a huge UN-Fan, but no accounting for taste right?;)

Ruger Predator. I assume you mean the American Predator line, not the Hawkeye Predator line.
I actually like mine quite a bit, but there are some things you need to consider first.
Remember that this is coming from a viewpoint of a lot of shooting/hunting/plinking. Not an occasional hunting trip or few range trips a year.

Stock - Like any entry level offering, the stock is absolute garbage. It's as rigid as a tupperware lid, and is very short and narrow in the forend.

Magazine - The original(or supposed updates) rotary magazine system is inexcusable. Leave it loaded for more than a quick car ride, and it's life is halved. Use it for more than a few boxes of shells, and it is on life support. The spring mech is super weak, and sags/sets very early. Unlike the 10-22 system, you cannot take them apart and re-wind or clean out.... Well you "can", but you will become very good friends with a superglue product.
I believe there is a new model where you can use Ruger's AR-style magazines. This naturally would fix the issue(or go chassis and AI system like I did), but then you have a bannana magazine hanging down. This may or may not concern you.

Trigger - For most folks who don't do a lot of shooting, they will probably like it. It's actually not unlike the Savage Accu-trigger. Which is to say that it is light and creepy. Most folks confuse a light trigger, with a good trigger.
I'll take a heavy, crisp trigger every day and twice on Sunday. To each his own, but I personally recommend a drop-in Timney.

Let us know what you do!

pics, or it didn't happen...

Cheers

Reactions: MontyF

·
Registered
459 Posts
HH...I promise I am not a "troll:. I have a little money an am truly interested in the .264 caliber. My Dad had a .264 WM in the early 60's and got rid of it due to recoil. I never knew him to be sensitive to that, so I am guessing it was the rifle.
I am also interested in 7mm along with the 6.5....so the 7-08 is another possibility. Shucks....I might buy both.

I was not referring to you when I mentioned a "Troll". Glad to see relevant responses. I have had experience with all three of the rifles you mention through the gunshop I do smith work for. They all are entry level, affordable rifles that perform remarkably well for their price point. Which one you get would depend on the features you prefer or attract you, but be aware that they are "entry" level rifles that lack the more refined aspects of a rifle built to a higher standard. Let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I looked at the compass for a time as well. I honestly don't remember what it was that I disliked.... maybe a goofy twist?

The Axis/Edge/whichever - They use even more MIM that Savage got into. Personally I'm a huge UN-Fan, but no accounting for taste right?;)

Ruger Predator. I assume you mean the American Predator line, not the Hawkeye Predator line.
I actually like mine quite a bit, but there are some things you need to consider first.
Remember that this is coming from a viewpoint of a lot of shooting/hunting/plinking. Not an occasional hunting trip or few range trips a year.

Stock - Like any entry level offering, the stock is absolute garbage. It's as rigid as a tupperware lid, and is very short and narrow in the forend.

Magazine - The original(or supposed updates) rotary magazine system is inexcusable. Leave it loaded for more than a quick car ride, and it's life is halved. Use it for more than a few boxes of shells, and it is on life support. The spring mech is super weak, and sags/sets very early. Unlike the 10-22 system, you cannot take them apart and re-wind or clean out.... Well you "can", but you will become very good friends with a superglue product.
I believe there is a new model where you can use Ruger's AR-style magazines. This naturally would fix the issue(or go chassis and AI system like I did), but then you have a bannana magazine hanging down. This may or may not concern you.

Trigger - For most folks who don't do a lot of shooting, they will probably like it. It's actually not unlike the Savage Accu-trigger. Which is to say that it is light and creepy. Most folks confuse a light trigger, with a good trigger.
I'll take a heavy, crisp trigger every day and twice on Sunday. To each his own, but I personally recommend a drop-in Timney.

Let us know what you do!

pics, or it didn't happen...

Cheers
I am kinda leaning towards the Compass...I dislike the Magazine in the Ruger and that is probably a deal breaker. The Grendel uses the AR type magazine, but they don't make one that fits flush. If I go with the Grendel, it will probably be a Howa Mini.

Not sure what you meant by the bolded part above...please elaborate/clarify for me.

I have a Savage Axis in 22-250, I changed the stock before I even shot it... which is what I would do with any synthetic I purchase. :cool: I have an M77 Hawkeye Hunter in 204 that I am falling in love with, but I got it for a steal.

Here's the Savage.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I am kinda leaning towards the Compass...I dislike the Magazine in the Ruger and that is probably a deal breaker. The Grendel uses the AR type magazine, but they don't make one that fits flush. If I go with the Grendel, it will probably be a Howa Mini.

Not sure what you meant by the bolded part above...please elaborate/clarify for me.

I have a Savage Axis in 22-250, I changed the stock before I even shot it... which is what I would do with any synthetic I purchase. :cool: I have an M77 Hawkeye Hunter in 204 that I am falling in love with, but I got it for a steal.

Here's the Savage.

View attachment 99274
I have a Howa Mini in 6.5 Grendel. I bought the barreled action, stocked it with a Boyd's Pro-Varmint (because the factory stock is junk), threw away the garbage plastic bottom metal & replaced it with DIP, Inc bottom metal(aluminum), cut the magazine flush & re-did it with the DIP bottom plate & replaced the magazine release with a flush DIP. I GUARANTEE you will lose the magazine in the field if you don't replace the mag release lever. After all that work & expense I ended up with a rifle I really like & that shoots about MOA. CZ didn't offer the Grendel at that time, but if I were to get a Grendel today it would be less money for a better rifle than I have to just get the CZ. All you have to do is mount a scope. The CZ is a no brainer when it comes to bolt action Grendel choices from a dollar for dollar viewpoint.

·
The Shadow (Super Mod)
7,146 Posts

I have a Savage Axis in 22-250, I changed the stock before I even shot it... which is what I would do with any synthetic I purchase. :cool: I have an M77 Hawkeye Hunter in 204 that I am falling in love with, but I got it TE]

I have a Savage Axis in 22-250, I changed the stock before I even shot it... which is what I would do with any synthetic I purchase. :cool: I have an M77 Hawkeye Hunter in 204 that I am fTE]
Just really don't like those series (Edge/Axis). If you remember Casa Blanca, the Axis is the same as any Savage, only more so.;)

This may not align with your notions, but for my money; Savage isn't worth the price paid. A standard Savage is tin-y, and poorly fit and constructed. When they were a $300 rifle, it could have been tolerable. The rifle hasn't changed, except they are priced at a premium now.
The Axis line is a version constructed even more cheaply. So for me even at $300, is overpriced.

S For someone who won't shoot high volumes, and it only has so much money; no doubt it can fit the bill very well. It just doesn't make sense for me.

Cheers

Reactions: JWSmith1959

·
Registered
1 Posts
Been wanting a 6.5 of some type. Had a .264 WM eons ago, but not really looking for that again.

Had my eye on either a 6.5 Grendel or the Creedmoor. I know it's the flavor of the month, but it can be found in a variety of rifles (bolt action only for both).

Ammo and brass can be picked up reasonably easy for both. The Grendel would be a nice round for my Grandson, but I think I could make up some suitable loads with the CM too. Not interested in the Swede before this thread gets off track.

Any suggestions? Pros and Cons?
I read thru the comments here and can't really disagree with any, so I will just describe my experience for what it's worth. I started shooting with a new group a couple of years ago after retirement and moving to our "dream home" on Missouri's Lake of the Ozarks. Most of my new friends had worked with both the Grendel and CM 6.5s. In my research I kept seeing statements about the 6mm CM being a better caliber for long range, and while the heavy bullet in 6.5 might be a better round for hunting, I only planned to fire on the range, so went with a Ruger precision in the 6mm CM. We shoot weekly on a club range out to 1,000 yards, and the 6mm does as well as their 6.5s. My rifle likes the Hornady ELD over 39.9 gr of IMR 4350, but getting ready to try the new Staybal 6.5 powder. Nothing wrong with the 6.5s but the 6mm will do the same thing at a lower cost and a little less recoil

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I read thru the comments here and can't really disagree with any, so I will just describe my experience for what it's worth. I started shooting with a new group a couple of years ago after retirement and moving to our "dream home" on Missouri's Lake of the Ozarks. Most of my new friends had worked with both the Grendel and CM 6.5s. In my research I kept seeing statements about the 6mm CM being a better caliber for long range, and while the heavy bullet in 6.5 might be a better round for hunting, I only planned to fire on the range, so went with a Ruger precision in the 6mm CM. We shoot weekly on a club range out to 1,000 yards, and the 6mm does as well as their 6.5s. My rifle likes the Hornady ELD over 39.9 gr of IMR 4350, but getting ready to try the new Staybal 6.5 powder. Nothing wrong with the 6.5s but the 6mm will do the same thing at a lower cost and a little less recoil
Thanks for the input. I already have a couple of 6mm's and it would keep me from having to get a bunch of new bullets, I am still thinking of a 6.5 or 7 - 08.

Anyone know anything about the Mossberg Patriot rifle?

·
Registered
7 Posts
So far everyone I know that has a 6.5 Creedmoor really loves them. I read somewhere that you can form cases for it out of .308 cases, but I was thinking that 6.5 had a slightly longer case so I don't know about that one. I find many once fired cases at the range and would send you what I have if you decide to go that way. I don't know much at all about the Grendel. I kinda like you am chasing putting a .35 caliber in the collection this year and had decided to go with the .350 Remington, as I picked up some dies and 7MM brass cheap and have already formed about 50 cases. Good luck with your hunt. I think that you will have much success. :)
I have 3 rifles in 6.5 CM. A Ruger Precision Rifle, Daniel Defense Delta 5, and a S&W Performance Center AR10. IMHO, the Ruger gives me tighter groups, even when using less expensive ammo. I normally run 3/4" at 100 yards w/ the Ruger and my personal best is 3/8" at 100 yards. My Personal Best w/ the Delta 5 is a little less than 3/4" (Hornady Match).

I'm sure someone w/ steadier hands and better eyesight would do even better. I'm an old fart w/ arthritis and bad eyesight, but I do shoot at least once a week. From what I've read, the 308 and the 6.5CM are about the same up to about 300 yards, beyond that the 6.5CM is supposedly better.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts