Shooters Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
I went with the CM .. just because. I needed something with a little less kick than my M70 in 3006.. some shoulder surgery opted the change. I went with a Tikka Hunter SS, I like the looks and it has some great reviews. I wont review it just yet because I've not shot it enough yet to warrant that . But its showing great promise

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I nearly purchased on a whim a new Savage in 6.5 x 284. I wish I had. It is an excellent cartridge. If you want to go a little over bore, a 6.5 x 06.
I had a 6 X 63 (essentially a 6mm-06). Had it re-bored after some chamber and throat issues.

Of course when I start thinking of a new rifle, the real world comes crashing down. I own another house in Florida that I use as a rental. It has been a nice earner for us...but the current tenant has not been able to pay either May or June...my wife just tells me this today. Property Management Company has informed us that because of COVID legislation, late penalties and eviction notices won't be allowed in Florida until August...and that might change in favor of the tenant. I hope the tenant is really just having some problems and not taking advantage of the situation. My step-son lives close by, so I hope he can evaluate the situation.

We have also been unable to sell our last house since we moved here in October...not a huge problem, but combined with the loss of income from the Florida house, I need to go into frugal mode.

I will still lust over the rifles I want...and maybe be able to make a more informed choice.

I hope all this will sort itself out in the next few months. Oh...and to top it off, I had to have a new alternator and battery today. Yay!!

·
Registered
750 Posts
While it all depends on what you want to hunt & shoot I just have to add my preference. I settled on the .250 Sav and used that for decades. Not really an elk rifle but it punches way out of its weight class. If you don't mind recoil I can heartily recommend the .338 Win mag. The 6.5s never interested me.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a 264 and a Swede. If I were looking for another I think I might go 260 rem. But my Swede dose very well in the Mod 70 ftw. So unless I run across the I can't pass it up deal I'm set for now.
I read somewhere that the .260 is about 100 fps. faster than the CM, bit the .260 needs a little faster twist rate to shoot those long bullets.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I read somewhere that the .260 is about 100 fps. faster than the CM, bit the .260 needs a little faster twist rate to shoot those long bullets.
They both shoot the same bullets, so why would one need a faster twist? In fact, a bullet that leaves the barrel at a higher velocity in the same twist actually spins faster, which means it's twist requirement would be less. This is EXACTLY OPPOSITE of what you just stated. This is just another example how misinformation gets spread. When a comment starts with, "I read somewhere", "Someone said", "A salesman at the gun shop told me" I want to say, if you don't know or don't understand what you are talking about, stop repeating the B.S.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I believe that he is referring to the fact that most 260 Remingtons are set up with a slower twist from the factory compared to the CM. When the 260 came out I don't think they planned it for the heavy for caliber bullets like the CM was specifically designed for.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
10,434 Posts
They both shoot the same bullets, so why would one need a faster twist? In fact, a bullet that leaves the barrel at a higher velocity in the same twist actually spins faster, which means it's twist requirement would be less. This is EXACTLY OPPOSITE of what you just stated. This is just another example how misinformation gets spread. When a comment starts with, "I read somewhere", "Someone said", "A salesman at the gun shop told me" I want to say, if you don't know or don't understand what you are talking about, stop repeating the B.S.
One would think that to be true, but, (there's always a but) in experiments with my 1:9 1/8" (measured) . 243 700VLS I found the it not to be as true and in fact a misleading thought.

In trying to get the 108 grain Hornady ELD Match to shoot (which is made for 1:8 min. twist, says so on the box) I tried copious amounts of the slowest recommended powders available to get more RPM ( hence, velocity AND pressure) to stabilize that bullet. At a chronographed 215 fps faster than book velocity I was gaining but there was no more room for powder and that loooong bullet AND I was losing patience, powder and primers that could be better spent on prairie dogs.

Accepting a one moa group from an under 1/4 moa rifle, trying to shoot match bullets was, well, unacceptable and this rifle will shoot 58 grain Vmax's (way over spun and with the *wrong powder) at, if memory serves, 3750 fps, into a hole that won't allow a pencil . . . . . . . .

Anyways.

RJ

*wrong as in not recommended by the distributor

·
Registered
285 Posts
recoil junky,
Your experience agrees with the physics. It is not the rpm of the bullet but the rpm verses the air pressure on the bullet. RPM increases linearly with velocity but the pressure increases at the square of velocity. The dynamic loads increase faster than the rpm does. That load decreases the stability of the bullet. Temperature, humidity, and barometric pressure all affect the stability with any given spin. (something rimfire target shooters are very familiar with when shooting at cold temps in low humidity conditions)

·
Super Moderator
13,161 Posts
JW,

When the economics allow you to pursue your rifle dreams again, there is another reason for purchasing the 6.5 CM, and that is Jeff Copper's Scout Concept criteria that the rifle you choose be a military caliber for the availability of surplus ammunition (and components for we handloaders, obviously). There have been several articles about the military adopting the 6.5 CM as a new medium-power cartridge for sniping, assault rifles, and machine guns, and SOCOM has been gradually bringing them in since 2017. So eventually military ammo and brass will come to be available.

(See the Wikipedia 6.5 Creedmoor page, last section on military use.)

Reactions: Tnhunter
21 - 32 of 32 Posts