Shooters Forum banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I have never owned a rifle in .264 caliber. So, I have Match Grade Machine making up an Encore barrel in 6.5 PRC. I have accumulated the dies, new brass and a few boxes of the Hornady EXD-X 143 gr. hunting load. I have been studying online information regarding loads and I am a little concerned about which powder to try first. My intent is to load the 130 grain Barnes. I sent Barnes an email as their reloading data site does not list the PRC. I got a very long and informative email back. Apparently, official load data from Barnes will be listed soon. Meantime, the guy sent me a a lot of information on powders. He also sent information on which brand and weight of bullet with listed loads for which I could substitute the Barnes 130 grain bullet. All in all, very helpful.

As to why the 6.5 PRC? Something new and different to play with.

Reactions: Darkker

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
If you want an AR type, you buy the credmore; if you want a bolt rifle you get the 260 Rem. The 260 is based upon the 308 so an infinite amount of brass is readily available if you reload.

The 7-08 is a good round also based upon the 308. I load for both 260 and 7-08. Both are inherently accurate. My 5.2 pound Kimber 84M shoots under .7 inches at 100 yards. It is my walk-around antelope rifle and always makes one shot kills at 300+ yards.

In reality, all of the .25, 264, 280 cartridges are pretty good and while the 6.5 swed is off the table, it is 130 years old and all those newer rounds are just identical performers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I recently purchased a new Savage High Country in 6.5 PRC. I’m shooting the Hornady Precision Hunter rounds with the 143 gr ELDX bullet. After mounting the Vortex Strike Eagle 4-24x50 scope and bore sighting the gun, I took it to the range to see what she would do. First shot at 50 yards was 2” right, 2” low. I pointed the crosshairs at the bullseye and moved my hairs using the turrets to line up my bullet hole for a 1 shot zero. 2nd shot was a 50 yd bullseye. 3rd shot was “about” 1.5 high at 100. I didn’t pay much attention to the 100 shot, I knew I had a nice set-up. 4th shot was a bullseye at 200. I dialed in my data on the Hornady ballistic calculator and my 5th shot was a bullseye at 300, and the 6th and final shot fired was dead center in a 8” steel at 400yd.

I own several calibers from 22-250 up to 300 WM and PRC. The recoil of 6.5 PRC is practically non-existent (I’m 57) making the round very fun to shoot. My goal is to continue dialing the gun in and eventually stretch it out to 1000 yds and use as an everyday hunting round as well.

41 - 43 of 43 Posts