Shooters Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Banned
251 Posts
Well, I ordered a .475 mould last Sunday; got an email from Dan today indicating that my mould had been shipped. Will post a review when I get to thoroughly check it out.
Mark

· Banned
251 Posts
I hope it all works for him. I remember telling a fellow in the cast bullet biz a couple years ago that there was lots of money to be made making LBT moulds if a fellow could get set up to crank them out on a CNC. Dan has better prices than Ballisticast and many months faster turnaround than Applegate; will be looking closely at quality when it gets here.
Mark

· Banned
251 Posts
Went and picked mine up at the mailbox place today. Ordered a steel .475 GC LFN mould to cast a 380 gr or so bullet (forget the number his site lists). Mould cavities look to be nicely machined, as I would expect from CNC equipment. The exterior is not quite as nicely done as I see on Ballisticast moulds: only the top surface where the sprue plate rides is machined to match the two halves; the screws for handle attachment are only supported on the lower end, they do not go into the top side at all and are clearly handmade. For the price on a made-to-customer-spec mould I'll live with it; no heavier than these moulds are it should hold up ok. The locating pins are brass; the two halves go together with just a hint of play, which I suspect would tighten some when the mould is heated. The proof is in the casting, will be able to tell you more when I get my pot fired up in another couple weekends.
Mark

· Banned
251 Posts
Okay got the pot fired up today and cast some bullets with it. The bullets seem to drop out in spec. I asked for .476", they are coming out .477" which is quite close enough for me. The one fly in the ointment has to do with the lack of a set screw to hold the sprue plate screw in place. He puts a spring washer under the head of said screw; even with lube applied that screw wants to turn with the sprue plate, making it about impossible to get consistent sprue plate tension. :( I have emailed Dan about this; hopefully he corrects this in his future production. Otherwise I would be sticking to Ballisticast for all the "standard" stuff in the future.
Mark

· Banned
251 Posts
Got an email back from Dan about the sprue plate screw issue. He says mine was shipped with high-temp loc-tite holding the screw in place; unfortunately it is only rated for 400 deg. He says he has since switched to a better threadlocker and is sending me some of that. Hopefully that cures it.
Mark

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.