Shooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im finally tired of my old Savage 243 and im trying to find a new bolt action rifle for under 400 bucks new. Im pritty set on the 7mm-08 cartrige and im not really interested in any used guns. Some guns ive considered are the Marlin XS7, Savage Axis and Mossberg ATR. Dose anybody have any sugestions?

·
Registered
18 Posts
can't go wrong with the savage, affordable and will not hurt the wallet when you add a good glass with it.
not very in to marlin and mossberg on bolt action.

If you have a cabelas near by they allways have NRA shows or display rifles in their used racks they are sell as used but they have not been fired other than factory tested. have bought 3 and the only difference is the price and that they don't come with a box.

good luck.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
If you read the reviews On Marlin Owners forum , then yo might want to look at an sx7 Marlin bolt . They have a good rating out of the box and no trigger work to be done . Just mount your scope site it in and your ready

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Academy Sports sells the Mossberg 4x4 for $340.00. They have a 22 inch barrel with a removable muzzle break that is fluted, adjustable trigger that looks a lot like the Savage triggers, DBM, synthetic stock, and come in quite a few calibers including three of the WSM's. They also sell the Weatherby Vanguard VG1 for $399.99 and is a really good price. If you wanted to go a hair over $400 Weatherby has a new rifle that should be in stores by now called the Vanguard S2 Series and is a guaranteed Sub-Moa gun, they are priced in the $450-$480 range for the chrome moly barrel and about $550 for the stainless steel version.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
I've read some good reviews, on other forums, about Marlin's XL7. The ONLY things I don't care about this brand of rifle is it has no open sights or a floor plate to "dump out" the cartridges. Otherwise it sounds like a nice rifle.;)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Gun Choices

I've owned and fired the Marlin XL7 and Mosberg 100ATR guns. Both are good solid guns, light, accurate, and handy in brush. Both will give you 1" groups at 100 yards. I also looked at the Savage Edge and Axis rifles and they are not on par quality-wise with Savage's other guns. They do unload with a clip but otherwise they are cheaply made and low quality. If you're sold on a Savage you can get their model 111 scoped combos at Dick's or Cabela's for between $350-400 depending on specs. I've owned them and they are excellent guns. Between the Marlin XL7 and Mossberg 100 ATR IMHO the Marlin is a better gun. Put a decent scope on it and you won't be sorry. The only reason I sold them was being short on cash, otherwise I'd still happily have them.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I would recommend one of the new Marlin's. Extremely nice rifle for the price...

However the Savage model 111 combo's are a great combo as well

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Of the three you mentioned, I'd probably go with the Marlin. I do however own an Axis 7-08 and it is a shooter. I like my Savage Steven 200 and the Marlin better though.

If you are willing to go to $415, I think a Weatherby Vanguard synthetic beats all of the above hands down. Certainly it's worth the extra $15!

Beware of the combo deals - the glass and mounts you get with them are almost always junk or near junk. The true beauty of these type of rifles is that the hundreds you save on the gun platform, can be put into better optics than you might otherwise be able to afford.

·
Registered
5,090 Posts
Im pritty set on the 7mm-08 cartrige
Good choice, I wouldn't be without a 7-08 myself. $400 is tough to find.

I have a M700 LSS Mtn Rifle, and like it a lot. A M70 FW would be my next choice, but a Savage is hardly a bad choice. Marlin anything is pretty hard to find these days. I suspect Remington isn't making any big effort to undermine their M700 sales, and might even be the reason they bought 'em.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Out of the rifles you listed the Savage is good and I've heard a lot of good things about the Marlin bolt rifles. I can't reccomend the Mossberg 100Atr. I know that there will be a lot of guys that will disagree with me but, I've owned probably 30 rifles in my life and a 100 ATR is the worst. It has a tight chamber and sometimes a round will stick and when it does goodbye extractor. I looked online and I'm not the only one. I'm not putting down Mossberg completely because some of their products are good.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Outdoor life has a really good review of the budget bolt rifles available in the current month's issue. They talk about the extraction issues with some of these rifles in the article. I think it gives a good breakdown of the various models and should give you some direction.

·
Registered
13,269 Posts
Whenever I start to contemplate which NEW rifle to buy, I usually wind up buying a used one. My latest is a rebarreled M98 action with a 25-'06 barrel on it. To be truthful, it isn't my gun, it's my uncle's, but I'm wringing it out for him before deer season.

Nonetheless, I find older guns infinitely more interesting than the newer ones. They're usually better made and certainly have a much better "feel", as far as I'm concerned. Man, I'm gettin' old. :)

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
Not only are some older rifles "more interesting" but, for the most part, much higher quality as well. Of course, that's simply my opinion. But, then again, you'd also have to like an all metal rifle with walnut stock too...lol :D

·
Registered
674 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Of those three, I'd go with the Marlin. No question.

BUT... why not send your Savage off to McGowen and have them put a new 7mm-08 barrel on it made to your specs. It'll be under $300 and you'll never want another factory barrel again.

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
True, but it would still be a ....... Savage.... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
426 Posts
Whenever I start to contemplate which NEW rifle to buy, I usually wind up buying a used one. My latest is a rebarreled M98 action with a 25-'06 barrel on it. To be truthful, it isn't my gun, it's my uncle's, but I'm wringing it out for him before deer season.

Nonetheless, I find older guns infinitely more interesting than the newer ones. They're usually better made and certainly have a much better "feel", as far as I'm concerned. Man, I'm gettin' old. :)
I must be getting old too. Because I think the M98 is built like a rock. The 1903 and 03a3 rifles are solid too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts