Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This dog was born mid november of 2009. I got him a few days before christmas when he was 6 weeks old. He is not a purebreed dog. His mother was 1/2 walker, and 1/2 boxer. His dad was full black lab. I have had many dogs in my 41 years but I have already become more attached to this one than any of the rest

I have taught him several tricks so far:
sit
lay down
roll over
crawl
speak
growl

He will also fetch a ball, although he won't give it back unless I have a treat to trade for it, else I have to take it from him. I am not into bird hunting but he is definately going to be my hunting buddy.

I am sure many of you have them, I'd like to hear about them and what all they can do.

Post some pictures also. I will try and do the same.

Also my wife decided to get her a dog last night. Little bity thing. Mother was 1/2 jack russel, 1/2 rat terrier, and father was a miniature chihuahua. She is about 6 inches long, born with no tail.

She is trying to hide behind my iphone

·
Premium Member
7,606 Posts
I have 'them'! Here's my two current ones, a black lab/shepard (German??) mix (I think), and a 'purebred' (??) golden retriever. The golden is a mall pet store puppy mill dog that the stepdaughter couldn't stand to see in the cage any longer...see some Irish setter in him. :rolleyes: The black is a 100-lb beast that is the nicest big dog I've ever come across. They both think they are great bird dogs, and they are if the criteria is having fun! They seem to like to hear chukar bones crunching in their grip...

I lost a lovable female yellow lab to old age last summer that had quite the nose.

In 2003, lost a black lab to bone cancer. That was a tough one.

They've all been great dogs to come home to. My home would sure be empty without them.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,724 Posts
Lost my big black lab on new year's eve. He was just shy of 15.

One of the best retrievers I've seen. Never had to pry a bird out of his mouth, and he would bring back a wounded dove alive, that's how soft his mouth was. Loved the water and sat by me and watched the sky for birds. Seemed to get confused when I missed!

A good dog makes a day in the field so much more enjoyable.

·
Premium Member
2,773 Posts
My ol black and white mutt has a lot of water dog in him because he loves the water, but more then that, he is very protective of my wife and grandkids.
He's my buddy
If I could just keep him from rolling in dead animal carcasses!

Attachments

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,467 Posts
I have two now;
A yellow lab male, Jack, who is 7....

and Luna, who is two.

While The big boy is completely broken of huning thanks to my daughter and wife, the young one has a nose that is incredible!!! I had her out several times last bird season, and with no formal bird training she flushed and retieved like a trained dog!

Lab are a grea breed, but ANY dog is better than no dog!!!

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Those are all some beautiful animals. Seems there is a definate affinity for labs in this group, imagine that. I am going to take a picture of my two new members of my family and figure out how to get them up.

·
Banned
2,380 Posts
had many fine dogs.. only one has a wood carving of him.. old black jack.
pit bull..he never met a dog he didn t love..to fight that is..if there were three dogs in a fence ,one fice,on medium size hound an one geat dane..
jack did not even see the two smaller dogs..he wanted that biggest one though ..
ive grown past that.. but ill never forget my gladiator..i was taken him out to put him dn as cancer had taken him..he saw my main stud dog.. a fine specimen,,an made a feeble effort to go over there an show him who was still the boss.my black jack..never even offered to bite people..slim
ps. having said that i advise against a pit bull as a pet for your kids.. to many things can go wrong..example your kid is wrestleing with a friend an the dog misinterprets that,an views it as an attack on his little boy.. it can go terribly wrong..think ..
yall have a great day..:)

·
Super Moderator
13,447 Posts
No they weren't.

Just make sure your pictures are under 100K in file size. Then in the reply window, click on the Go Advanced button. Scroll down below the Additional Options bar until you see the Manage Attachments button. In the flyout menu that appears, click on the Browse button and find your picture file. Then click on it to select it. Then click the Upload button. That will attach it for viewing, with thumbnail.

If you want to include a photo in the post body, as the OP did, then you need to go to Imageshack.com or a similar hosting service. There you can browse and upload the file to that service. There is an option on Imageshack to resize the photo as it uploads. It is below the upload bar. If you don't know the size, have it resize to 620x480. When you upload, it will resize the uploaded copy (but not your original). When it returns the addresses, click in the second address down. Copy it. Come back to your post and put the cursor where you want it to appear in the post. Click on the little postcard icon at the top of the composition window. Paste your copied link into the address bar that comes up. Make sure "http://" isn't duplicated at the beginning of the address? If it is, remove the duplicate.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
uncle nick, you can't see the pictures in my original post?, I can see them on my computer. I posted originals on photobucket, then linked the url.

·
Premium Member
7,606 Posts
I can see the pics in the first post.

Edit: Nick, the OP pics were not there previously, which is where smokin meant when he posted 'the above post', not the one immediately above that.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Wow, Shawn you have my dog!

To the OP,

That is one beautiful pup, I hope you continue to enjoy him and him you.

Shawn,

I was shouting when I saw the picture of your dog "Look it's Forest!". I have attached photos of Forest, my Golden Retriever below.

Tell me if you see a resemblance.

Terry

Attachments

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Terry, thanks for the complement on my dog. I am truely attached to him. I don't ever remember feeling this deeply for a dog. Not that I havent loved them in the past, these two have stolen my heart. It's been too long without sharing my life with a dog or two.

·
Premium Member
7,606 Posts
Terry, they look like brothers, right down to the white chest patch! Mine's a little over 9 yrs old.

Good looking dogs, everyone. Love those labs, Chris!

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,467 Posts
thanks Shawn!

Is there such a thing as an ugly dog???

not in my eyes. While i'm not a fan of the toy or miniature groups, I love 'em all!

Your dog's friendship towards you is absolutely without question.

·
Registered
816 Posts

This is my old hunting buddy. He is 12 now and has fetched quite a few ducks in his lifetime.

This is my new hunting buddy. She is a 6 month old Chesapeake Bay retriever and I've had her for only a month. She has learned to sit, stay, fetch, and will deliver to hand. I think she gonna be a good duck dog.

Two year old black lab mix. This one is just a pet that needed a good home but she is one of the best dogs I've seen at catching frisbees.

The wife and I don't have any kids so these are kinda our kids I guess.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I sure miss my Dogs too, last lab died and I'm at that age where mobility won't allow me to do justice to a new pup, and too concerned about my Grandkids to get an older one, afraid to trust it. Sure are some good lookers on those posts!..........stegmaier

1 - 20 of 27 Posts