Shooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if anybody has seen one of these rifles that EAA is marketing.  Black synthetic stock, drilled & tapped, matte finish, turned down bolt, 23.6 inch barrel; prices are around $300.00 and they are new manufacture by BRNO.  Was considering picking one up in 30-06.  Haven't been able to locate one at the local gun shows yet.

Anybody had a chance to look at one?

If so, please rate the quality.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,336 Posts
Been looking for them myself ever since seeing the advertisements.  Keep hoping they'll show up at the gun shows, and aren't just a figment of some marketeer's imagination.... if I find one I will definitely take a serious look and will post back here.

My guess is that they are either not in the country in quantity yet, or (hopefully not) a special-order item.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MikeG-

They have been released onto the market.  I have seen them advertised on the gun auctions, but I am hesitant to plunk down my money until I have seen one for myself.  Gunfinder.net has them for $284.00 and that is the best price I have found yet.

I'll post back as well if I get a look at one.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Saw one at a gun shop in Renton Wash. The barrel is real thin but otherwise it's a Mauser. The safety will have to be modified for normal scope mounting. Or you would have to install see through mounts. The action is probably worth the price of the gun.
Joel

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Joel-

Thanks for the info on the Brno '98.  The nice thing about the safety is I can get a 2 position winchester model 70 safety made for a Mauser '98 for $30.00.  Three position safeties are $145.00.  If the action is worth the price of the gun then I'll definately have to scrape up the cash.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Went and looked at that gun for you guy's today. It has the military safety, military trigger. It must have 3/8's of an inch travel in the trigger, no kidding! The finish is all matte. The stock is injection molded, not too bad of a fit. Forgot to check the magazine release. It has iron sites, drilled and tapped for scope. The price was 289.00. While standing there I saw a J.C. Higgins 30-06. Belgium Mauser action, walnut stock, awesome trigger, modified safety, push button magazine release, probably 75% finish, barrel was perfect, wanted 279.00, offered 250.00, it's mine!
Joel B.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Joel-

Iron sights?  All the advertisements for the EAA BRNO '98 indicate no iron sights, just drilled and tapped for scope mounts.

Can you clarify?

Timney triggers are easy to install.  Still sounds like the rifle is worth the money.

The J.C. Higgins you scored sounds like a great deal.  I wish my local dealers were as willing to barter as yours is on nice older rifles like yours.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Your right, no sites. I think the BRNO is a great deal. You get the best action money can buy, and you can already shoot it. For another 100.00 you have a top flight rifle. Consider the cost of converting a military Mauser, or buying a commercial Mauser, (Interarms, CZ, etc.) and your money ahead. The guy at the gunstore said they have great barrels too. I don't know anything about the barrels though. The gun is probably in the 7lb range. I think the "Sears" rifle was an absolute steal. No kidding, it's a Belgium Mauser. I didn't know they were made for Sears. He said he figured it was from the late 50's to early 60's. If the stock was refinished the gun would look brand new. Do you know anything about them?
Joel B.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Joel-

According to everything I have seen "Belgian Mauser" means it was made by Fabrique de National (FN).  Basically it sounds like you have the same M-98 Belgian Mauser that Browning imported before they brought out the A-Bolt.  The Belgian Browning M-98's command a pretty stiff price these days if you could find one.  You're right, you "stole" it!  It should be the same gun, just with a different name stamped on the barrel.

I'm sure it will be everything you'd hope for in a M-98 based 30-06.

Also, thanks for all the excellant info on the BRNO '98, I can't wait to get my hands on one!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just in case anybody is interested, the June, 2002 issue of the American Rifleman just came in the mail.  On page 58 they have a test report on the EAA BRNO '98.

They made some interesting observations about the rifle they tested in 30-06.

·
Registered
301 Posts
This is the site:

http://www.zbrojovkabrno.com/arms/eng/zbrane.htm

I’ve been looking at this site for about a week now. I phoned but no one could speak English. I don’t think it’s CZ (Ceska Zbrojovka). In their “history” they may have been the Czech factory that originally developed the BREN gun, the standard light machine gun Britain and her former colonies, like Canada and Australia, went to WWII with.

If anyone finds out about the quality, and from what I see in this pictures so far looks high, please post.

I don’t get AR. Is this article posted on the web??

1 - 11 of 11 Posts