Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I tried. I just can't get used to the "new age" style of Beartooth's forum. For me, and my opinion only, I don't like the color scheme (pastel blues, grays) and the font is bothersome. It seems difficult to determine the end of the stickies and get to the beginning of the current threads, I have to watch the "stick pin" logos slowly scrolling down to find new threads. Perhaps I'm going to be flamed for being an "old fogie unable to accept "new", and that is surely not the case, I just cannot get used to this New Age font, color scheme and layout.

I really like Beartooth forums, joined in 2007 and contributed what I knew, but I think this may be my last visit...

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
I too have difficulties reading thin, Gray fonts or Thin Medium Blue fonts as I have aged eyes rather than young ones.
I finally located the 'dark background' selection location and it's Light Gray face font on Dark Gray or near Black background is much more readable for my eyes.
The 'normal' page design with it's low contrast choices of font size, style and color(s) on Light backgrounds is too much eyestrain for me to be comfortable.
Sadly, such 'improvements' seem to be the typical rather than the exception nowadays.

Chev. William

·
Registered
429 Posts
I'm gonna give that "dark mode" a try (it's one of those three site navigation dots in the upper right corner)

·
Registered
917 Posts
I've found that it's easier for me to read on "dark mode" and much less eye strain. Also makes it easier to navigate. A couple of the other forums I frequent are now using the same format .

·
Registered
515 Posts
Get used to it or get out. Well, that sounds too harsh and it is, but there is little choice today. With more and more formerly private forums being sold to “media” companies and their choice of format is based on higher profits, this is the new reality. Mature readers are not the target audience for marketers today.

That said, overall I prefer this format, although like others I use Dark Mode. Once you learn how it works, it’s fine.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yep, I'll probably "get out". The new forum looks like it was designed by a teen aged girl art student. But I'll try the "dark mode" to see if I can handle the "new and improved" format but I don't see why I would have to use a "special" mode/format after many years as a member.....

Or maybe it's a conspiracy to kill off gun forums by the liberal "media" forum providers?

·
Premium Member
14,355 Posts
I use dark mode and click on 'New'. Then its the same as before.

Reactions: jimp and shreck

·
Registered
334 Posts
I am just an old guy that was around and on the net before graphics were part of it. This "new" look is very much like the "old" net. It is like reading a paper and I find it easier to work with. I admit that it could use a bit more contrast between the new messages and the ones I've read but it is much faster to load and use, especially for those who are on slower connections than the 100+ Mb speeds that I have.

If you find it difficult to read you can force your browser to use a color and font that you prefer rather that letting the site choose those things. It's been a long time since I have seen grown men whining about something so simple to change. If the font is too small you can set the default font and size and color. If you don't want to do that you can use the "CTRL" and scroll the mouse wheel to change the size. Man up!

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Don’t go it’s not that bad .

cheers.

maybe it is getting the right quote is not easy.

·
The Shadow (Super Mod)
7,331 Posts
Or maybe it's a conspiracy to kill off gun forums by the liberal "media" forum providers?
Rest easy, you don't need your tinfoil hat to understand the history of what's "going on".

Despite his dreams and best intentions, Marshall wasn't able to provide unlimited resources for as many free users as the site had. He even came out, hat-in-hand, several times almost begging; for any support that could be offered.

There are still a few of us originals, who remember the original site and tribulations with bandwidth. We remember the disaster when the server let the magic smoke out, and having to re-register. We remember the onslaught of fiery posts that always ensued. "Howdare you ask for money, how dare you place ads on the free users homepage, how dare you run out of bandwidth and let the site go down"...

With an added complication of some family matters, Marshall was no longer able to foot the bill; and he sold the website.
The new owners loved the dream he built, and how the staff was running things. That continued for a long while. However the Vbulletin software that was running the site, was a leaky, antiquated thing. So finally something had to be done.
That's why the update came about, but we were FAR from the first ones to change to it. It's more correct to say we were one of the last holdouts, to finally get on the bus.

As is always the case in life, people's interests will come and go; Their tastes change, etc.

The forum is what it is, if it isn't a fit for you any longer; then sincerely, we wish you the best finding something you will enjoy.

Cheers

Reactions: kdub

·
The Shadow (Super Mod)
7,331 Posts
getting the right quote is not easy.
Hit "reply" directly under the post you wish to quote. If you hit "quote", that is the same as the older "multi quote" function.

This is explained in the tutorial and FAQ posted by Cricket. You can read it here:

Reactions: shreck

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Hit "reply" directly under the post you wish to quote. If you hit "quote", that is the same as the older "multi quote" function.

This is explained in the tutorial and FAQ posted by Cricket. You can read it here:

Thank you for that .
I am finding the new style good on the phone .
Buttons seem so obvious after you no were they are but so hard to find when you don’t.

cheers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts