Shooters Forum banner

New Gun Arrived Today

3K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  isaac 
#1 ·
Wanted one of these for some time and finally got it. Freedom Arms model 83 in 475 Linebaugh. 4.34 inch barrel action job and rosewood grips. Going out next weekend to shoot her as ammo is on the way.
Air gun Trigger Revolver Gun barrel Wood
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Revolver

See less See more
#4 ·
They are top of the line, for sure! Nice revolvers, congratulations, look forward to a range report.
As nothing more than a curiosity, I've wondered; Why not just bore the cylinder with either four (or five) chambers and put the 'blank' (non bored, other than for a firing pin 'relief' hole)) portion under the hammer? Of course, you would then not have a place to store your rolled up $20 bill!:);)

#6 ·
You can always get a Ruger or BFR both god guns. I carry my model 83s with four rounds and the 5th round is irrelevant to me, I will never get off more than 2 rounds if an animal attacks me, same in an hunting situation. To be honest I delayed buying my first model 83 by 3 years because of the 4 round situation but as I shot them more and more that concern faded away. Guns are nothing but trade offs, always trading something off for something else. Thanks for your reply

#9 ·
I built this .41 mag from a found .357 in 1989. The grip frame was SBH but I shortened it 5/16" and moved the grip back a fraction. Either my knuckle has gotten larger or the gun kicks harder. It's painful to shoot now. I'm about to drop down from 255 hard cast at 1080 to 225 grain at about 900 as a result.
Chukars are now hiding in rockslides steeper than before, too!

Attachments

#10 ·
Jack,
What is it about the Freedom Arms that requires us to carry with hammer on empty chamber?
I gave mine (454 Casull) my Grandson because i don't have the grip strength anymore(knuckles bleed too).
But, the "Safety Bar/ Hammer Block" is secondary to the Hammer Safe Position and if used properly can be a Safe way of carrying with 5 chambered.
I take it as the hammer safe position isn't passive like a transfer bar/drop Safety is Passive?
"As long as Bubba didn't do a trigger job on the New Model Ruger Super Blackhawk".
I did carry mine with 4 but i wasn't in Big Bear country either.

#11 ·
The FA '83 doesn't have a traditional 'half cock/quarter cock' 'safety notch' of the Colt SAA family. Instead, it has a unique hammer block that interposes steel between steel parts and makes it safe. BUT, to get the hammer into that safe position it must be drawn back so far that a 'slip-off' results in a fire. Test prove it has enough energy to set off factory ammo and handloads with rifle primers. Also, the safety notch in the FA '83 is far enough back to unlock the cylinder and start the hand rotating it before the safety notch is engaged. That means putting the gun 'on safe' is a two step operation of setting the hammer in the proper position, then also rotating the cylinder back into lock. If not rotated back into lock, the gun is 'jammed up' when the hammer is attempted to be drawn back.
The guns were ten years obsolete when first made and not 'state of the art' due to the game changing Ruger transfer bar system.

• Sad
Reactions: sparkyv
#12 ·
I spent a good deal of time with the FA '83 this evening and did not understand THAT that I thought I understood for the last 12 years.
The hammer drawback is certainly far enough that a slip could cause a discharge.
I had thought that the need for "Indexing" the cylinder or confirming the cylinder is properly indexed every time the hammer is put in the "Hammer Safe" position was due to the degrees of rotation due to the 5 hole platform.
I have always stressed the need to check for proper cylinder indexing in large revolvers in the Handgun class i teach.
Thanks Jack for the excellent information.

#15 ·
I've owned a Freedom Arms Model 83 454 Casull revolver with the ejector length barrel for about 30 years now---nothing made better! Four shots doesn't bother me cause you would be lucky to off two in an attack situation... My revolver was ordered with two extra fitted cylinders---45 Colt and 45 ACP. The 45 Colt cylinder is still unused! The 45 ACP cylinder is great, low recoil fun...

#17 ·
Just sayin' on the old style revolvers, you can fill them all, if you wear a cross draw holster? ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.