Shooters Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there - I am new to this forum and shooting in general. Ive been hunting for 2 years now since I have got someone to hunt with and have the money for it. I just purchased a Rem 700 VSF in the 22-250 for varmint mainly coyote. I live in Southwest PA. I attached a Nikon Monarch BDC 4-16 scope and have a bi pod as well.

I was wondering what cartridge I should use and if anyone had any tips for me regarding hunting with this rifle and target shooting with this rifle.

Thank you.

·
Inactive member
1,648 Posts
Clean the barrel extremely good before you shoot the first shot. Denatured alcohol and several passes with a bronze brush will help.

Be sure to use a good rod guide and one piece rod.

Pay the little extra and buy high quality bullets. With ones, I can't say because I only shoot my reloads but quality loads make huge difference.

·
Banned
467 Posts
Nice rifle, nice scope.
In general the faster the twist the heavier the bullet you can use. I do not know twist rate of Your rifle but I would use the lighter bullets if you have slower twist and heavier bullets if you have fast twist. Any website that sells ammo will have several buulet offerings and you can readily discern the weight range offered 22-ed0 has an excellent reputation for laser like shooting. - always start with at least 3 diifferent bullets !ox of 20 in different weights and just go shooting either starting at 50 or 100 yards to get the scope checked out and zero'd

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Guess I can't answer your question about factory ammo since I've fed all my 22-250's handloads. I'd just buy several different brands of ammo with various weight bullets and see what your rifle prefers.

BKeith gave some good advice on cleaning. I'd shoot a couple rounds and clean, couple more and clean again. Many times new barrels have rough edges internally that tend to foul. Going though this process will eliminate accumulations of bullet material that can ruin accuracy. Hopefully the end result is a barrel that is accurate and easy to clean.

Also want to say welcome to this site. The rules here are to have fun and play nice with others. Let us know how your new friend shoots.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well its snowed a good bit here tonight so it ruined my shooting plans for the evening but will be going to a 100 yard range tomorrow to zero in - i need to pick up a few other rounds.

The twist is 1 in 14
26 inch heavy barrel
stainless fluted barrel

I bought 50 grain JHP from Remington to start out with. I will pick up some hornady v max tomorrow and also maybe Winchester ballistic silver tip (those were pricey compared to the others)

I haven't gotten into hand loading yet as technically this is my first rifle - been using my buddy's while i saved up for a good rifle. We are thinking of getting into hand loading cause personally I love to shoot so while I am told it wont save you as much money as it did in the past I think it will add some more fun and save some money so cant complain there.

·
Inactive member
1,648 Posts
Just shooting one 22-250, you will have to shoot a few thousand rounds to save the cost of getting into reloading.

If you enjoy shooting and want the get the most accuracy from your rifle, you will enjoy the heck out of reloading.

Reloading is a totally different aspect of the shooting sport and you will find it will greatly increase your satifaction in shooting when you get where you can go out and put five shoots in one little bug hole from your 22-250 with loads you built, and knowing that probably would not happen with any factory load. With the right load, that rifle should shoot some very tight little groups. Just understand, shooting little groups is about precision and repeatability, so WHEN you get into loading, buy good equipment, do ton's of homework and research, and keep very good notes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
my neighbor and friend who is much older and way more experienced is trying to get me into it. He said a kit would run around 500-600 for all the bells and whistles for reloding. He said another way to get the money back is to sell rounds to friends that shoot that dont reload. Obviously you must be loading good enough for that but is that legal?

I am hoping with my eyes that I can have some precision but since my eye sight is not the best as I shoot I will have to see what acceptable for me.

I will let yall know how sighting in goes today as I am supposed to go shoot after my friend gets off work. I will also take a pic of the gun and post it and see what yall think.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
I bought a Lee anniversary kit last Christmas for just over $100 new. A Lee Handloader kit will only set you back $20 and its uphill from there on reloading. My understanding to stay legal without a ammo manufactuers license, the buyer would have to have a process in the reloading IE. supplies the brass or buys the bullets, etc. Then he/she just reimburses you for the other componets and your time. Have fun and shoot straight.

CD

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
The twist is 1 in 14
26 inch heavy barrel
stainless fluted barrel

I bought 50 grain JHP from Remington to start out with. I will pick up some hornady v max tomorrow and also maybe Winchester ballistic silver tip (those were pricey compared to the others)
With a 1/14 twist, chances are your rifle will prefer 40-55 grain pills. Going above 60 grains, in my experience, with 1/14's hasn't been that good. But it seems every rifle is a rule unto itself.

Personally I'd rethink the deal on reloading for others for profit, especially if just starting out. There is too much that can give you headaches and the liability exposure isn't worth the few bucks you could pick up. In the cases I've done it, was for my sons or because of project guns friends and I have built and they didn't handload. Most of the times, like previously mentioned, they bought the components and I just assembled the ammo as a favor.

Most of the people here will tell ya, you never save money handloading, you just get to shoot more for the same bucks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was not necessarily going to just start selling ammo I hand loaded, that is border line crazy. I do not have the experience with it and am not afraid to admit it.

I will probably stick to around 50 grain because Remington makes a cheaper 50 grain JHP and I know for hunting I will use black hills or hornady. Does anyone have experience with the Winchester Ballistic silver tip? Good for coyote?

MontyF - Thanks for the info that will help. And shooting more for the same amount of money sounds like a deal to me! HA

Got zeroed in today - well at least enough to where I should be darn close next time I shoot.

Today it was snowing with 25 mph winds and 20 degrees before windchill. I shot under a cover of a porch and got sighted in at an inch high at 100 yards. Ballisticly I should be dead on for 200 yards with no problem. Didn't get to take a picture of the target because it was so **** cold and I wasn't going to retrieve the target in the snow. I had to shot at a buddy s house cause I don't have the space.

·
Inactive
654 Posts
The Ballistic Silvertip is a Nosler Ballistic Tip which is a great coyote killer. How were your groups? I imagine they must have been pretty decent and that is good ammo for factory stuff. Scotty

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
groups were good for the time and rush into a quick zero -

It was frigid and wind was blowing but man the gun shot well. The silver tip wont ruin pelts right? I figure I will be fine cause its a small cal bullet.

Not to get off topic but I took my AR out today and ran some rounds through it for the first time. That shot great as well!

·
Inactive
654 Posts
AS long as the bullet just enters the hide and doesn't exit, it should be a pretty good choice. Try to stay off the shoulder with them, as those shots will hurt some fur sometimes. The BST is a great bullet and accurate as heck. Scotty

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.