Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
    Next week I will be picking up my new 7.5" SS 44mag SRH from the gun shop.  Never before owning a revolver I have a couple of questions.  First, What is a good cleaning rod and who do I get it from?  The first thing I will be doing will be giving it a good cleaning.  Second, Is there any benefit from using a break-in procedure, if yes, what is a good break-in procedure?  Any help will be appreciated.
                                             H2oman55

·
"Bad Joke Friday" Dan (moderator emeritus)
7,762 Posts
h2oman55,

The experts that I've seen answer the question of break-in definitely say yes. The new barrels are rough and initial polishing is recommended.
However, the recommended process varies slightly in the number of groups to shoot. The standard approach is to fire one and clean, fire one and clean, for five shots. Then progress to three shots and clean. Do this 3/5 times and progress to five shots and clean, again 3/5 times. The variation is in the number of groups to shoot before progressing to the next stage. I've always wanted to error on the high side, so I do 5, 5, 5 for a total of 45 rounds.

As for the cleaning rod, I don't remember the specific brand(s) I use, but can recommend characteristics:
1. made of aluminum, fiber, or material softer than steel -- you don't want to impact/damage the crown of the barrel.
2. shaft should rotate in the handle, allowing the cleaning material to follow the land/groove for closer contact with the barrel.
3. rod should have a device that guides the shaft in the barrel, again, so as not to damage the crown. This device is tapered and rounded and slides on the shaft of the cleaning rod. The front end of the guide fits slightly inside the barrel, keeping the shaft away from the crown.

Also, think about the attachments for the cleaning rod. You'll need a brass brush, jag, patches and of course, cleaning solutions. Some oil and grease is also important. I find Q tips to be very helpful for hard to get at places. And before we spend "all" your money, think about a bore flashlight -- typically about $6. You can get a fairly good picture of the bore by putting a white cleaning cloth in the cylinder cavity with light shining on it, but I've always found the $6 to be well spent for a better bore picture.

Another couple dollars very well spent is Marshall's Technical Guide booklet. This not only gives you important information pertinent to your revolver, but shows economical methods to address the various problems.

I'm sure I've left things out that others will add (or disagree with), but at least it's a start.

Dan

<!--EDIT|DOK|April 20 2002,13:38-->

·
Registered
251 Posts
Congrats on the new gun!  I have really enjoyed my SRH's over the years.  For my revolvers I use an El Cheapo sectional rod, one that has a built-in bore guide.  I don't at the moment remember who made it.  The bore guide is important.  I have never followed any "break-in" procedure with my revolvers, other than to load them up and fire away.  One thing you will wish to do is to push a lead slug down the barrel to determine groove dia. and to determine if there are any tight spots.  Tightness just in front of the forcing cone is called "thread choke" and can be a real pain in the [email protected]#$.  Getting rid of it usually entails firelapping, which is explained in great detail elsewhere on this site.  You will also want to slug your cylinder throats, to make sure that they are of uniform dia. and also larger than the groove dia.  If they are smaller or vary wildly from one to another, you will need to send the cylinder off to be reamed to the proper size.
Good shooting
Mark

1 - 3 of 3 Posts