Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my lattest new rifle. Father-in-law gave me his old 1899 savage 30/30
just for the heck of it looked it up, was made in 1924. No blueing left, finish is down to just hand worn. Rifle has prob. taken more deer and yotes than most of us see in a life time. Shoots to point of aim at 150 yds with factory fodder.
Father-in-law was a rancher most of his life in SE oregon, and spent a lot of time out with the herds. The ole boy will be 85 this year and decided he coundent see well enought to hunt any more so passed it to my wife and I. Gun has only been around 72 yrs, its not even broken in good yet. Guess will have to use it another 30 or so then pass it on to daughter, so she can pass it on to grand daughter. Gonna get the ole boys moneys worth out of it. It was passed to him by his father. When you get a good thing like this its nice to pass it on in the family.

Gun Runner

·
Registered
20 Posts
What a wonderful piece of your family history.  I recently received my Grandfather's 1894 Marlin lever action , made in 1894 in 38-40.  It is is fair condition but cannot be fired.  I am getting it reconditioned.  The stock will be replaced with a piece from a Blackwalnut that stood in my fathers yard, it was 34" in diameter when cut.

Granda died when my father was 4 yrs old.  They had to sell the farm shortly thereafter.  The road still bears our last name.  Dad remembers them shooting the rifle when he was little.  It hasn't been fired since then I would say.

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,466 Posts
Congratulations of your Family Heirloom.   May you have many happy moments with your "new" rifle.

Be well,
Chris

·
Registered
217 Posts
gun runner,
              That's the kind of warm, rich story I like to hear about. A family gun, full of life, where each little ding and scratch relive a past event. That Savage model 1899 is a "classic" in more ways than one. I'm envious of you for being able to own such a fine piece, that is more connected to you, than price. These are the treasures that not everyone is fortunate enough to own. Congratulations !

Jeff

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can find any kind of gun you want ifin you look long enough and have the right amount of $$. but something handed down like the rifle does not have a $$value. Also in my car port (another project) is a 1950

studebaker with the bullet (no pun intended) nose and sucide doors, that my wife was born in. Seems in my father-in-laws rush to get from the ranch to the hospitable in Lakeview OR. he missed a curve and buried the car in the snow bank (wifes birth mo. is Nov), he delivered her in the back seat and a passing car took them into Lakeview. The car has set for a lot of years on a hill on the back of  her unkles property, it has 3,800 miles on a rebuilt eng. Still has the orig tires (and probable orig air) trannis is froze in 2nd gear but some marval mystery oil should loosen it up. Have a place locally that the guy has several of these so if all else fails can always get another trannie. Between the gun, car and my Wife, have gotten some fairly nice things from my father-in-law. (I dint say my wife was old-dont want to get hit again he-he-)

Gun Runner

·
Registered
123 Posts
Gunrunner,

I grew up in Eastern Oregon and am fair familiar with the Lakeview country.  My wife grew up in Hines.  There are some wonderful stories about that country and those great people.  You obviously have strong ties to some of them.  Something you can pass on down the generations.  I am pleased for you.

dclark

1 - 6 of 6 Posts