Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow shooters names Dylan aka-Boots
My father inherited a shot gun after my grandfather past in 04. Me being 23yrs old I've personally seen this shot 3 times and touched it once. My grandfather was a WWII vet and purchased this gun in his 20's. My dad always remembered the gun growing up and he still to this day has never shot it.
We talked about this shot gun the other day and he showed me the gun for the third time. We talked about prices at gun shows and how much they are going for. He's not selling it but he wants to know some info on the Serial Number to figure out the date.

Ill try to explain the best I can:
- semi auto browning 16g
- factory peep sights/ something else factory was added by browning. The gun was sent to browning to have these factory addons put on. Ill ask for farther info
-serial number seemed odd, it's a 3 digit number and 1 letter
( 483R)
-has FN above the serial number
What year is this browning semi auto 16g? All info would be generously appreciated.

Thank you for your time. Hope to hear from all you knowledgeable SHOOTERS

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone? I've looked on every site and cannot decode this SN
It's a Belgium model. SN didn't match a thing on the net.

·
Premium Member
7,606 Posts
Welcome Dylan.

It will take some investigation, and then you may still not have any clear answers as S/N's were not easily traceable in the early years. Do you know if grandad purchased the gun new, or used, in the '40's? Peep sights seem an oddity to me. Is it a rifled barrel? Not sure if they even made such a thing in those years?

I haven't read through all of this, but it may be some help:

How to Find Out When a Browning Sweet 16 Was Manufactured | eHow.com

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was bought new when he purchased it. Then he had it sent back to get following factory parts added to the gun. This gun is beautiful. But I've read everywhere and have yet to see a SN 483R I mean a SN similar. ###R

·
Registered
416 Posts
I'm assuming that you've been to this site:

Browning Date Your Gun

Digging into that site a little deeper, I don't think the number you have is the serial number. According to Browning, some years they used letters (and some not), but never a single "R". If the "683" is actually the serial, that would put the date of manufacture at 1903 or 1904.

DC

·
Super Moderator
8,652 Posts
Digging through all I can find indicates you have a very early Browning Auto 5 16 gauge and as DMC says probably in the first few years of manufacture ...1903 to maybe 1905 at the most. Bearing in mind the number shipped to the USA before handing over production to Remington suggests the above date for manufacture, however it had to be shipped, then it had to be shipped again to a retailer and could have sat on a shelf in a gun store for a while before your grandfather purchased it. I wouldn't think there are many of those about in really good condition and bearing in mind the family connections it is probably priceless to you. I now own my grandfathers BSA 12 gauge side by side and would not sell it for the world, it has so many fine memories for me. I remember to this day back in the early 50s killing my first rabbit with it and sporting the resulting bruise on my shoulder to my pals at school next day.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well guys thanks for your help. I had the chance to see the gun again and we called browning. It's not a SS but it's a 1953 A5 standard with factory peep sight at the rear and the rail on the barrel was added on also after my grandpa purchased it new. My dad has the original owners Manuel also and some bullets that are card board with a big lead ball at the end that my gramps use to shoot out of it. R Fn

1 - 7 of 7 Posts