Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gents, I finally took the plunge and bought my first reloading equipment. Bought the Lee classic heavy duty turret press,4 die set from Lee, the 10-10 scale from RCBS and the hand primmer. And other equipment to go with. Will be loading for my first Pistol I ever bought; T/C Encore .44 magnum W/14 inch barrel. Still waiting for it to be built.
I have 2 questions. If I use jacketed bullets do I still need to do a factory crimp or is that just for lead bullets. And you guys that shoot the .44 mag what is your favorite powder to use? Thanks, Steve

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I use factory crimp on everything. W296 or H110 for "hot" loads and something like AA # 9 or 2400 or 4227 for "semi-hot" and Unique or Universal for mid-range loads. You are off to a good start with your equipment.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
Steve, congrats on picking up the reloading stuff! I think you'll come to enjoy that hobby almost as much as shooting or hunting, although it's quite a bit different.

I don't crimp anything that goes in a T/C, or any other single-shot, unless the load seems to benefit from it. Crimping can be done with both lead and jacketed bullets. In fact, most jacketed pistol bullets come with a cannelure, specifically for crimping. If you go with H110/W296, which a lot of folks acknowledge as providing top-shelf performance from the 44Mag, you may find that anything less than a full-throttle load under a 240gr (or heavier) bullet will require crimping, to ensure good ignition. Personally, I have stuck with heavy loads and never found a need to crimp, as the accuracy and velocity are there, with no ignition problems. When I want lighter bullets or lower recoil loads, I just buy some of the really mild indoor range reloads that are meant for revolvers. These are very tame, compared to the handloads I put together for hunting.

Good luck and let us know how you do! :)

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,267 Posts
Welcome to the world of reloading. As I have stated lots of times, reloading will become as much a hobby as shooting and hunting. I have been loading the 44 mag for about 30 years. I have had great success with W296, H110 and 2400 for full power loads. I use Unique for my lower velocity loads. I to use a Lee factory crimp die on all my full power loads.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Welcome to the forum, and congrats on your purchase. I reload the .44 also, for a 23in .44 T/C G2, a Bisley Hunter, and a Taurus 44. Excellent information on previous posts, I can only add that I use Red Dot and Tail Boss for plinkers. Great cartridge with loads of potential.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Welcome to the forum I load with H110 for me and Unique for my girl friend with a light to medium crimp. I do not like the thought of the bullets vibrating loose with no crimp.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
new guy to reloading

Hey, Thanks gents for the warm welcome to the reload forum. I do appreciate all your helpful suggestions. I have alot more reading to do on the types of powders and the whys to their use. Thanks, Steve

·
Registered
105 Posts
Crimps are not needed in a single shot but you have to bell the brass to get the bullet started so you will need to use the crimp die to at least get the wall straight again. Might as well crimp it since you are doing that.
Good habit with the 44 anyway since you don't want to shoot un crimped rounds in a wheel gun because the bullets can slip forward under recoil and prevent the cylinder from turning.

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
Welcome, Glassartisan. You done good with your press and accessories.

The only .44mag I reload is for a Marlin lever action. I use H110 with magnum pistol primers and a heavy crimp provided by the Lee Factory Crimp die. The others have mentioned it and there's more to be expounded upon, but essentially you need the magnum primers and a heavy crimp using H110 or W296 (essentially the same powders). Otherwise, you may not be able to build sufficient pressure for a clean burn.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts