Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I am about to embark into the world of cowboy action shooting and want to know what do you shoot .38 or .45 long colt? This would not be my first firearm I own a Kimber 1911 .45 ACP and a Beretta Neos .22 I was planning on going for .38 because I had heard that it has enough punch with a more manageable recoil, I am wondering what you guys on here think. These guns would be for cowboy action shooting only and they will be good enough to get started. I can always buy different ones further down the road. So please let me know what you think, what are your opnions??

·
Registered
163 Posts
Well, a 38 long colt will certainly punch holes in paper, but it was never renowned for accuracy. It will use a lot less lead, and less powder than the 45 LC. I've shot some Remington ammo, as well as reloading HBWC with decent results.
Teddy Roosevelt used a 83 LC revolver to kill two Spaniards when assaulting Kettle Hill in Cuba, but George Patton was thoroughly unimpressed with it when he shot it in the Olympics.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
From what I understand the top SASS shooters use anemic lower weight .38 special ammunition with little recoil. Really, you would be best served by showing up at an SASS event and seeing first hand what they are doing. Check out Evil Roy's website http://www.evilroyshootingschool.com/ I'm just a arm chair "cowboy" and employ some the shooting techniques the SASS shooters use except I like "more gun" - .45 Colt

·
Super Moderator
13,439 Posts
Sierpin,

Welcome to the forum. Rules are to join in, have fun, and be polite. Other rules can be found in the sticky threads at the top of each forum.

Much as I prefer the .45 for power, if I were going to compete for time on large area short range targets, the .38 would be my choice just because you can recover from recoil to get on the next target faster. The economy of loading for it would be a bonus. I would also choose .38 Special over the Colt just because of brass availability and free range foundlings being more common. But if that raises an authenticity issue for you, you may feel otherwise.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
IMO, .38 Special for those who want to win and need every advantage. .45 Colt for those who want to know what it was like shooting in the old days or something close to that. Your choice and best wishes.:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to everyone, I will be attending a SASS event at a club I just joined. It can't come quick enough though, match isn't untill April 10. The club, The Sandusky County Soprtsman Club, is SASS affiliated and they have a pretty cool cowboy town. Can't wait looks like tons of fun.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Don't forget, you don't have to load the .38 Special that light. I normally use a 130 to 158 grain bullet at around 750 fps, which is pretty close to factory standard (for 158 grain loads). I get enough recoil to notice, and I can still shoot the .38s for half the price of my .45s.
I love shooting the .45s as well.
Start with the .38s, then add in the .45s depending on your mood.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I just posted this post on another forum, maybe it will help you.

I started shooting Cowboy Action Shooting in 2006 and I've seen a few new shooters buy guns and then after they got into the game more, switched guns and calibers. Most people end up using 38 special revolvers because the recoil is lighter and therefor can shoot faster than 45's and 44's, 32's are also faster..For rifles, the best for the money is the Marlin 1894 in 357mag caliber (shooting 38 special catridges). However 1866's and 1873's (both of which are toggle action guns) are the best, but most expensive. In my opinion Winchester 94's and 92's (or clones) are the poorest choice. Their actions can not be smoothed to the same point as the Marlins and toogle action guns. The toogle action guns can also be fitted with a short stroke kit that makes them a bit faster.. Marlins don't work the same and even though you will hear a short stroke kit can be put in them. The only thing that can make their lever throw shorter is a shorter cartridge. Either SXS shotguns or Winchester 1897 (or their clones) and the 1887 Winchester (and clones) may be used. I suspect it is easier to be faster with a 97 pump gun, but I've seen many SXS (double barrel coach guns) shooters that were also fast. An 1887 lever shotgun can be used, but they are 'practice intensive'. Pump rifles like the Colt lightning can also be used, but few people stick with them because most of them don't work as well as some of the other rifles. Hope these thoughts help.

·
Registered
336 Posts
45 long is the way to go!!! The raw power is like nothing else. Feel that recoil!
Every Cowboy shooter in our club that started out using a 45 Colt has switched to 38 Special. The so called "raw power" as mentioned by Bronzebudda is not needed and is a waste of time and money. Feeling the recoil is something you do not want, period. The more recoil you have, the longer it takes to get back on target and the slower you will be able to fire 5 shoots from a handgun. With Cowboy Action Shooting, speed is the name of the game. Anyone that suggests a 45 Colt either is not a competitive shooter, has never shot CAS, or simply doesn't know what he is talking about. Further more, the 38 Long that one poster referred to was a designation used long ago with the 38 S&W cartridges and is no longer in general use today. In fact it is impossible or next to impossible to buy ammo of that caliber. What the poster should have said is 38 Special, which is a cartridge that has been quite popular with law enforcement people and others for many years. There is no cartridge on the market called 45 Long Colt, however, many people call the 45 Colt catridge by that name, manufactures don't use that name and have never used that designation.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts