Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys..new guy here with some quci questions
A freind of mine gave a a model 98 mauser reciever and bolt. there is no stockor barrel. the threads for the barrel are messed up and no gun shop in the area are equipped to repair it..is there any place i could send the reciever to for repairs??
I also have a turkish made mauser and usually shoot surplus rounds..for the 80 dollors that was spent it is highly acurate and is more acurate at than the 400 dollor Ruger Mini-14 that I have..although the Ruger is very fun has neverever jammed after the thousands of rounds that I have put throught it is cheap to shoot and as fast as you can squeese the trigger..it fires
Any mauser help will be apreciated and thanx in advance

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,964 Posts
Welcome to the board, wadodgeguy.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
wadadgeguy,
if the threads aren't mangled beyond repair, Midwayusa and Brownells, sell a tap that made specifically for cleaning up the barrel threads. You may want to have someone in the know, a gunsmith by trade, take a look at the action and let you know if this is a feasible route for repair. The taps are about $52 from Midway, whatever size or type Mauser action you have, so if that is all it will take to salvage an action it may be worth your while to look into it. They also sell all sorts of barrels that can be mounted by most gunsmiths with the bulk of the gunsmithing already done, for very reasonable prices.
If you want o look at the tools, here are some links, they are made by Wheeler Engineering.

Small ring
http://www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/301528

Large ring
http://www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/528686

·
Banned
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thans for the links..im thinking the mauser is worth it..its a mod 98 7.92MM german made..it has the third reich symbol stampedi into it..pretty cool peice of history..Im thinking of a barrel in a 30.06..is this feasable if it is reparable?

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
If the receiver is OK to rebarrel, the 30-06 is a great choice. I like to play with different calibers, so you'll never see me rebarrel to a 30-06. They are available very economically in many factory produced firearms. If a 30-06 is your goal, I'd suggest an inexpensive new, or used, firearm. If you want to work with something outside the mainstream of available, or commonly available, calibers it would make much more sense to follow the route you persue. If you look around a little, you can find a M70, M700, M77 in 30-06 for at or about $300. That rifle will be ready to mount a scope on , with a good adjustable trigger unless it's a M77, and pretty much ready to hunt with, and with good resale value. The same cannot be said of your project rifle. You'd probably be better off with a "off the rack" rifle if your ambitions begin and end at the 30-06.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,236 Posts
Check the magazine length. The '98s were a bit shorter than a 'standard' .30-06 which is around 3.340".

1 - 8 of 8 Posts