Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! For a long time I've wanted to get a lever rifle. For about the past 6 months I've gotten really serious about it and finally ordered one. A Henry Big Boy steel carbine in .44 mag. It was a toss up between them and a Marlin, but settled on the Henry due to being from Wisconsin as well as having handled a 45-70 from them. Anyone have any advice or reviews on this particular rifle? i will not be reloading for this, so please don't give me advice on loads and what not for it. But advice on factory ammo for deer/bear would be helpful!

Thanks,
Jake

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
Congratulations on that fine new rifle! I owned the Marlin 1894, but folks who look at both now seem to really like the Henry. I've had excellent results with plain old Winchester white box 240gr JFN on deer. A complete pass though on shoulder shot on a very large whitetail buck at about 75 yards.

I've also used Speer Gold Dot 270gr JFN on a big boar hog and the two recovered bullets showed picture perfect expansion. I'll try to attach a pic of them if I can find it.

I'd prefer JFN out of a carbine over JHP loads, myself. Best of luck with your new rifle!

·
Registered
3,268 Posts

Congrats !

The 240gr JSP is the Gold Standard load for whitetails and/or black bear, in the .44 Remington Mag.

Most of the various factory 240gr JSP loads are the same, so it's a matter of finding which one your rifle likes/shoots best - a happy circumstance, for sure.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies! Not only will it be a nice thick brush gun, but easy and quick handling for when we run bears up north with dogs. I was leaning towards the winchester white box 240's but I'll definitely try a few different loads through it

·
Registered
110 Posts
20170329_080023.jpg I really like mine it's a really accurate gun with the 1×6 glass on it I am able to get some very good groups. I've only shot one hog with it and it was with a 210gr GoldDot hand load at 2,000fps from the 16.5" barrel otherwise I would just shoot the Winchester white box 240gr softpoints.

·
Banned
241 Posts
They are great rifles, I have the carbine versions but replaced the Big loops with standard loop levers. They are the best shooting 44 levers in my opinion and I've had plenty of all the rest.

It Will Not cycle Rounds the size of Buffalo Bore (4b) 300 gr from the tube. You can fire it and it ejects fine but the OAL makes it jam up from the tube.

If you couple this thing with Skinner dovetail rear, its even more awesome. If you install a fire sight up front, its even better!

The rifle deserves a scope but I don't care for the Henry mount.

Unlike other 44's, the Henry will shoot everything you feed it accurately. You have to settle on a couple that shoot close to the same POA.

·
Registered
133 Posts
They are great rifles, I have the carbine versions but replaced the Big loops with standard loop levers. They are the best shooting 44 levers in my opinion and I've had plenty of all the rest.

It Will Not cycle Rounds the size of Buffalo Bore (4b) 300 gr from the tube. You can fire it and it ejects fine but the OAL makes it jam up from the tube.

If you couple this thing with Skinner dovetail rear, its even more awesome. If you install a fire sight up front, its even better!

The rifle deserves a scope but I don't care for the Henry mount.

Unlike other 44's, the Henry will shoot everything you feed it accurately. You have to settle on a couple that shoot close to the same POA.
JL, Talley makes a superb integeral mount/rings set-up from "Henry Pride", the Henry store. $49!
I have one on my BB brass .357 Works perfectly and is fairly low.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have the same henry. 1.5x4 on top, shoots everything i feed it and does it well. Does not like cast, have got to slug the bore.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts