Shooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm into military rifles, newer stuff. AR-15, M1 carbine. Looking for places to meet & shoot with others, so I can learn. Joined CMP last fall, but they don't have anything coming up.
15 years National Guard, did pretty good there.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Hi cdl2,

Where are you from? Australia? Finland? Just kidding. :p I doubt I'll have time to go south to shoot with you (especially since I don't have any military guns yet), but I'll sure give you a warm welcome here!

Could be wrong, but I don't think an M1 carbine would be considered "newer", wasn't it from WWII? I guess that all depends on what you feel is "old". Some kids think I'm old, and I'm only 25. :)

Play nice, join in, and we'll all have fun! See you around the forum.

Matt

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Matt, I guess the M-1 was used in WWII, but then the AR 15 was starting up 40 years ago. And I'm older than the AR, we used them in the guard. We had to qualify with the M-14 too. Glad I missed the Garand, I had one when I was much younger, darn thing really kicked, plus it was heavy.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I'm saving up for a Garand! If there's one American battle rifle I want, it's that. I also want an M1 Carbine, 1911 style pistol, Henry lever. . . the list goes on. :)

But yes, I have heard they kick a lot as well as being very heavy. What's the carbine like to shoot?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
M1 carbine is pretty gental, as far as kick goes. Don't think it's very acurate at long range. Easy to handle, & very quick.

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
your m1 mighta been gental but the one i shot what musta been another kind of m1..
old fella that owned the gun kept saying shoot it again for group..he had a laugh about that.. said id passed the test,with his personal hot loads..
i wouldn t o quit shooting it for nothing.. but the shoulder was blue the next day..
probably me not knowing how to shoot it..
kinda reminds me of watching those not in the know,, use a post hole digger.. they havn t learned to loosen the grip just before it hits the dirt..if you know that ..you just might be country. grin slim
ps welcome cdl2

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
Slim,

I think by M1 carbine, he means the 30 US cartridge...ya know, the little "30". :)

The Garand, which chambers the 30-'06 cartridge, does have a bit more felt recoil, but that's largely a function of the stock design and the lack of a recoil pad. By and large, the 30-'06 from a heavy gun doesn't kick all that bad.

Welcome, CDL2! Rules are simple: Be nice and join in. You'll find a lot of facts and even more opinions on this forum, which makes it one of the best I've been privy to! ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, anybody know of a group that collects/shoots these military rifles?
I'm in the midwest, & would have thought there would be lots of people that are into the "old" stuff.
I had a few 30-06 rifles when I was much younger, they all hurt. But since then I've added a few pounds. Might not shove me back as far.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
cdl2,

Welcome to the site. For the AR15 check out www.AR15.com and www.M4Carbine.net , I post there under the same log in and avaitar. I retired two years ago from the Army and shoot everything I get my meathooks on. Also carried a M14 National Match in Iraq in 04' with my M4A1. Had some very nice and large foreign weapon collections in Iraq this past decade (perks of my job). Currently contracting and still down range, just no collecting on this contract. Did see a few months ago a French Mle 1922 light machine gun (two different models with different feed, box mag or feed clips). Only a thousand of this chambering for Czecholsavakia in 7.92x57 in the 20s, found here in Afghanistan (feed clip model). Czechs went on to develope the Vz26 LMG which was used by Germany in WWII and Brits furture developed it into the BREN LMG.

CD

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Combat Diver, good info. Sounds like we have a lot in common. Diving & guns

You'll have to tell me about "contracting" sometime.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts