Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Beartooth Regular
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Internal ballistics book from the late Homer Powley and Ken Howell. I grabbed this from another website, which Ken made this post:
"Inside the Rifle -- Fundamentals of Interior Ballistics by Homer S Powley and Kenneth E Howell is nearing final shape and publication. With any luck, I'll be able to start taking orders in a month or two, for delivery after the first of the year. I think all the drawings are drawn, but there's still a little to be written, more to be checked very carefully one last time, and a passel of dull final nit-pickery -- page numbers, for example -- before I'll have a final package to present to the book-manufacturer for a quotation on the costs of printing and binding 5,000 copies. I expect the price of the book to be fifty bucks, with another five for shipping and handling. When the time comes to invite early (prepublication) orders, I'll offer a limited-time price break -- probably ten bucks off."

"Don't know how many pages yet. Don't have 'em all written yet and haven't added-up the ones already done, which will probably increase with last-minute insertions to clarify this, that, and the other. Probably between 250 and 300 pages, total, at a guess.

High-quality hard-cover -- heavy, high-quality, acid-free (archival-quality) page stock, Smythe-sewn, with laminated (plastic-film-coated) covers.

All these cost extra for the printing and binding, but they make the book about as durable as books printed on mere paper can be. I don't intend to publish a merely "good enough" book, ever. "Good enough" isn't.

Also, doing all the prep work myself keeps the cost and the price down. If I had to pay anyone for the services of editorial and publishing assistants, art directors, book designers, office managers and clerk-typists, etc, I'd have to raise the price of the book to cover those costs. Doing all this from my "living room" avoids the extra costs of separate office and warehouse facilities, too.

It's easy to see why no big publishing house would consider publishing a book with as small a potential market as this one. The costs would make the price too high for the book to sell enough copies to break even. A project like this has to be one man's "labor of love." "

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,461 Posts
Sounds neat. What's the web site?

·
Beartooth Regular
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Beartooth Regular
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, it looks like Dr. Howell is ready to start taking orders for this book.

From Ken Howell:
"...if you think you may be interested in ordering a signed copy of the Powley-and-Howell book 'Inside the Rifle' (on the basics of interior ballistics) please email me at [email protected], and I'll email you an annoucement and printable form for your order. I hope to be ready to take prepaid orders beginning January 1, 2004, for books delivered within the next three months or so.

Your email needs no message--just the header "book order" or "Inside The Rifle" or just "book".

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,029 Posts
Thanks for the heads up, Alyeska -

Sent the requisite email. Sounds like a fine opportunity to acquire a 1st class book.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,461 Posts
Me too..... thanks!

·
Beartooth Regular
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Updated and additional info

From Ken Howell:

Homer was this country's first and most noted real theoretical and practical ballistician. A good bit of the real, sound knowledge of interior and exterior ballistics that IS known these days began with Homer. He was the guy, for example, whom General Hatcher and Parker Ackley got their smattering of ballistics knowledge from. He was the fellow who acquainted Joyce Hornady with the ballistic superiority of the secant ogive. He worked with Colt, Speer, Hodgdon, and other industry "greats" in developing and debugging their products. He spent his last many years as the resident ballistician at Frankford Arsenal.

All during his career, he made his findings readily available to every enthusiast -- amateur and pro -- who was interested in learning the goings-on inside and outside small arms. I was doubly and gigantically blessed by having him (a) on my staff and (b) as a cherished mentor and friend.

The next Powley-and-Howell book will be the complete collection of the technical memos that he mailed out to everyone who wanted to be on his mailing list --plus other short pieces that he wrote in other venues. As I've had to do with Inside the Rifle, I have to poke all these pieces into the computer character by character and make publishable drawings of his illustrations. I've already begun this and will get onto it hotter and heavier once I get the camera-ready pages of Inside the Rifle off to the book-manufacturer. Powley's Memos will be the second of two or three Powley-Howell books (I'm not sure about Outside the Rifle, on exterior ballistics).

Plus updated email for book order:
[email protected]

·
Beartooth Regular
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update!!!

From Ken Howell:

Save this —
print it —
pass it around to anyone else whom you think ought to have his own copy of Inside the Rifle (instead of borrowing yours).

And think this over, carefully.

Don't send me your order for a copy of the book until you've carefully and thoroughly considered every aspect that I'm going to tell you about in this announcement. Inside the Rifle is still not ready for the book-manufacturer to print and bind the few thousand copies that the first printing will comprise. This introductory offer ($5 off — wish I could offer you a better deal!) will be good until I get word that the book-manufacturer has the printed and bound books ready to ship. Then the regular retail price will become $50, plus $5 for shipping and handling each copy mailed to an address in the U S.

First, Inside the Rifle is not a textbook on interior ballistics. It's a simplified general presentation of the fundamentals, with a little simple math that you can handle, but not as technical as even a textbook for an introductory college course ("Interior Ballistics 101") would be. So don't expect even a thorough mastery of Inside the Rifle to turn you into a ballistician. You will learn enough about the fundamentals of interior ballistics to better understand how rifle cartridges work — knowledge that'll help you choose and load better rifle cartridges..

Second, the printed and bound books won't be ready for delivery for several months – no later than June, I hope, and probably no earlier than April or May —– certainly not very soon. I don't have the clean, complete, camera-ready pages all done, and then when they're ready to go to the book-manufacturer, there'll be the usual delay as they wait there for their time to be made into the plates that'll go onto the press. So don't commit fifty bucks that you can't afford to set aside for the long haul. That money is going to have to sit idle for a while as it
(a) tells me whether there's enough interest in the book to justify publishing it and
(b) assures the book-manufacturer that their company won't be left holding a snipe sack when the time comes to pay for the printing and binding.

For your protection, I will keep good track of who sends how much and will deposit all those funds in a separate, dedicated account that I won't draw from until the time comes to pay the book-manufacturer for printing and binding a few thousand copies. If I get too few paid orders to publish this book, you will get your money back.

The page stock, binding, and covers will be high-quality to stand up under long, hard use — heavy acid-free page stock, Smyth-sewn and hard case-bound, not ordinary sulfite bond glued to paper covers. If you've seen my book Designing and Forming Custom Cartridges, you've seen this level of long-term quality. As well as I can guess at this early stage, I expect the book to retail at no more than $50 (US), and shipping & handling in the US to add another $5 per copy.

For this introductory offer, I'm asking for a total of $50 per copy — five bucks less than the book will cost after I have a supply of several thousand copies on hand. I will as a matter of course sign every copy.

This book isn't going to sell like Harry Potter, and I'm not Tom Clancy, so the print order for this book won't number in the millions — just a very few thousand at the most. This means that the costs of printing and binding each copy are higher than they'd be if I were ordering by the hundreds of thousands of copies.

The chapter titles will give you an idea of Inside the Rifle's contents and coverage:

• Symbols and Equations
• Basic Chemistry and Physics
• How Gases Behave
• Basic Chemistry of Explosives
• Basic Physics of Explosives
• Air Guns
• Explosion of Powder
• Burning Rates
• Bullet Travel
• Pressure and Energy
• Change of Pressure
• Pressure and Temperature
• Primers
• Pressure and Erosion
• The Bullet and the Barrel
• Recoil
• Strength of Barrels
• Estimating Velocity
• Estimating Pressures
• Corrosion
• Ballistics Terms
• Conversion of Units
• Bibliography
• Index

Print, complete, and send me this form when you order. Mail to
Ken Howell
407 Spring Street
Stevensville, MT 59870

Please send me ___ copy/copies of the Powley-and-Howell book Inside the Rifle. I enclose a check or money order for $50 per copy, a total of $ ____________ (made payable to "Ken Howell" and marked "ballistics book"). I understand that I'll have to wait several months before the book will be ready to deliver.

name: ___________________________________________________________

address: _________________________________________________________

city, state, ZIP: ____________________________________________________

I already have a signed, numbered copy of your big blue book Designing and Forming Custom Cartridges and would like to have the same number (___________) of Inside the Rifle.

I also understand that proceeds from Inside the Rifle will help you to establish and to support the Powley Center for the study of sporting-arms ballistics — open to "ordinary" shooters like me and including the Powley-Howell library, shooting range, laboratory, and interactive museum of modern handloading. I would like to add further support for this very worthy project. For that purpose, I enclose a separate check or money order (marked "gift") for $ _________.

·
Beartooth Regular
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
At this time, publication of this book is doubtful.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts