Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just ran across some of the new IMR 8208 XBR powder today and was thinking about getting a pound or two and trying it out. Initial tests by many top name shooters is very impressive overall with claimed zero affect by temperature variations.

I know they have some published numbers out on their web site and in several calibers, but I was wondering if anyone has tried it yet and in what caliber? I was thinking about trying it in my .220 swift with 40 gr Noslers, and 55 gr Sierra Blitzkings along with a couple other calibers. They only have published numbers for a 36 gr bullet with the 220, but I figured I will work up a load using the other two bullets. Just seeing if anyone else has done it so I can cut my work in half. If not, I'll have fun doing it regardless.

Here is the data from IMR for the .220 swift.

36 GR. BAR VG FB IMR 8208 XBR .224" C.O.L.=2.635" gr=38.0 FPS=4078 46,800 CUP Max gr=40.0 FPS=4296 53,000 CUP

As a side note, They have data for the .22-250 for bullets ranging from 36-70 gr bullets, so I think the .220 should not be a problem, just not enough need for data out there yet.

·
Banned
415 Posts
I haven't even been able to find it in the stores up here, but I did read up on it a little while back on IMR's website. I would think it would be worth the $30 for a pound to find out about it though!

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
$30? I thought it was around $22, but I just saw the store had the powder and every price I looked at was $21.99! Could be more, maybe I should get some while I can.

·
Registered
38 Posts
None to be had in my neck of the woods. No LR primers either. What little powder available around here is at least $28.00.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I ended up getting a pound of it. It was $21.99, so $23.47 with tax. Every powder at the place I got it had their powder priced at $21.99. They had three pounds left and I thought about getting 2 lbs, but I can't justify buying two right now.

If I get a chance maybe this weekend I'll try and run it through my .220 and my .22-250. Ether way from everything I hear about this stuff, I'm excited to get going on it.

·
Banned
415 Posts
Let us know what happens...I'm thinking about going to visit my cousin in Mankato next month...wonder how hard it would be to get an 8 lb. tub on the plane? :p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts