Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my new lever out of layaway yesterday. Broke it down as far as the manual said and cleaned everything I could get to with break free, including the barrel. The barrel was really fouled. They must have done a bit of test firing. Hope it was a good thing. There was not a lot of stuff to clean up inside and it looks and feels smoother than I expected. Ran a few rounds through when the family was away yesterday. They seemed to run through well.

I will stick with jacketed rounds for a while and see how things go. I plan to break it in right and the barrel will get it's Flitz treatment after it's first rotation of firing and cleaning.

Is there anything else I need to do right away to ensure I get started out right? I know I need to do some things to get ready to shoot lead but I don't want to overlook something now that I could do.

·
Registered
59 Posts
If it's a Marlin 1894 check the fit of the forearm. If it's binding at the barrel band it could cause vertical shot strings. Mine did until I loosened it up by relieving wood until the band fit freely.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Enjoy your new rifle! Just make sure that when you shoot cast bullets they be properly sized for your bore. Mine's a .44 mag and a cast bullet diameter of .432 works best for accuracy.

(Edited by Stranger at 8:21 am on Jan. 26, 2002)

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Chief...If it's a 1894P, let me know as I have been working on some of the feeding bugs with hard cast bullets. Try...240 gr Hornady XTP - 24.5 grs WW296 - WLP....gives an honest 1835 fps out of 16 1/2" barrel. The BTB 250 LFN GC works great on issue lifter. Any problems connect mt at [email protected]
Best Regards, James

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I shot it this afternoon before reading these posts. I did the shoot one clean one routine and got through two groups of 5 with a Flitz treatment between the 10. I guess the next time I go I will do the shot 2 clean shoot 2 routine. Anyway, even doing the barrel break in I got two distinct groups. There was no rhyme or reason to it. Two good 2" groups at 50 yds. It is possible the ammo was two different charges but I don't think so. Sure were pretty groups. Had 4 in one group touching.

James, mine is the 20" barrel. I will shoot jacketed for a while so I will just keep reading your data on the lead. I got this gun to shoot lead in and I will get there. I want to get the barrel right first.

I was not touching the forestock today so I probably avoided the harmonics problem. Had it on a bag up under the action almost. I will have to keep that in mind when I begin to shoot from positions.

All and all a pretty productive day at the range.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Chief, something else I found with my 16" 1894 in 44... I got very different points of impact when shooting by resting the forearm on a bag vs. supporting the rifle in my hand then resting my hand on the bag. Changes the geometry of the rifle to the shoulder.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts