Shooters Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Been reading a lot of great posts and wanted to join up with a question. I read an older post dealing with crimp in the cannelure or not. There were great replies and a few quoted a safety note about seating a bullet no less than .050 from that calibers diameter. Ex. .308 no less than .258 into the case. Now, you add in a factor of a BoatTail bullet (Hornady 3037) which loses seating length from the taper and it has a cannelure centered only .260 from the end of the .308 dia. If I seat it there, my COAL is 3.185. My 30.06 mauser bolt is 3.300 to the lands. So, there's no way I could safely set where I'd like at 3.270. Am I all messed up on this? Seems I should not be using a BT style bullet to accomplish what I want??

·
Premium Member
16,133 Posts
I'm confused as to what you're measuring and why. Seating depth is usually determined by how much off the lands, not how much is in the case.
Ultimate seating depth is what fits in the magazine. You need about .050 clearance in front. Seat some bullets at mag length less .050 and see how they shoot. Single load longer ones to compare them.

Reactions: kdub

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
9,134 Posts
.... So, there's no way I could safely set where I'd like at 3.270. Am I all messed up on this? Seems I should not be using a BT style bullet to accomplish what I want??
Yes, you're over thinking this. I'm a staunch follower in the 1/16" jump rule, however.
My 204 seated to mag length, has something like four feet for a jump to lands. Yet it stacks bullets into the same hole.

So go load and shoot, might surprise you.
Cheers

Reactions: jimboro

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Yeah, seating depth isn't as complicated as you are making it. Most of the time, your seating depth is going to be determined by the length of the magazine box in the rifle you're using.
For your 30-06, you probably don't need to crimp the bullet, anyway, so you can effectively ignore the cannelure.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,570 Posts
Crimp if you want, or don't; the rifle will tell you what it "likes". For a .30-06 on a Mauser action, there are "blunter" bullets that will help seat closer to the lands, if that is needed; again, the rifle will make the final decision. I've got a Franken-mauser .30-06 that shoots the semi-pointed version of the 180gr. Partition reasonably well, for what that rifle is, and everything goes in/out of the mag box like fertilizer through a goose.... so to speak. Makes a pretty good "loaner" gun (mostly put together out of free parts and a ratty k98 action) and I've shot a few deer/pigs with it, without getting too terribly concerned about "bullet jump" and all that.

Anyway, sometimes the whole "seat exactly to this" just goes out the window, as pointed out. Get to the range and see how your loads work!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. I guess you're right. I've always been one to take it out to the Nth degree and since I currently have no field data to support seating close to the lands for accuracy, I'll double check what the mag can fit and be happy. I wasn't hung up on crimping in the cannelure on this one. Maybe for the Garand I'll consider it. It was the statements of having "seated bullet to case about the same depth as the diameter of the bullet for safety and consistancy" that sort of got me off track.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,570 Posts
Bolt guns are not usually too bad for "walking" bullets deeper into the case, which you wouldn't want to do with the Garand. What are you going to do with this gun? Hunt?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Naw, my hunting days were limited to upland game birds and my 12ga. In my retirement, mostly want to work on rifle distance and pistol target shooting. Maybe look into some competitions. Gotta love this sport. One of the best ways to honor our heritage and amendment rights. Help set examples for the Grandkids. The gun world is rapidly changing and we need to help guide it in the right direction.

·
Super Moderator
13,814 Posts
The minimum seating depths are about keeping the bullet from being pushed off-axis (a known group opener) when the cartridge is shoved up a feed ramp from a magazine. If you are single-loading, putting each round into the chamber by hand, you aren't putting side pressure on the bullet and can seat anywhere you want. As an extreme example, a good many of the Scheutzen rifle competitors follow the old practice of seating one of their cast bullets into the lands with a hand tool or from the muzzle via a false muzzle and then placing a charged and primed case in behind it. No seating the bullet into the case at all! At the other end of the spectrum, you truly do not want to load a Garand bullet too shallowly as the feed ramp and speed of the stripping and chambering of the round easily twerks bullets up. There you want to use the military 0.27" seating depth (for M72 Match loaded with the M1 Type bullet) or to the bullet shoulder when that much bearing surface is unavailable, and the bullet jump be damned in that situation.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Nick. Good info. I know that Garand feed is rather aggresive. All of the info I've received on this has given me a clearer picture of what to concentrate on. The mag in the Mauser handles a round much longer so I'm not concerned with that end of it. I loaded 20 rnds this evening and will try them out this weekend. My thanks to all.

·
Registered
A slingshot and a couple pea-shooters
14 Posts
Just remember this, anytime you crimp, you increase case pressure and as a result, chamber pressure. Most reloading manuals will indicate if the round needs to be crimped or not. The die used will indicate if it crimps.

If your round does not require crimping, and you do.....you risk damage from those increased case/chamber pressures. A few milliseconds of over-pressure can do a lot of damage.

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
9,134 Posts
Unless using Herculean crimping pressure on an already seriously overloaded round, you aren't going to somehow raise pressures to an unsafe level. I know that we've tested Crimped Vs. Non-crimped rounds with the Pressure Trace before, will see if I can dig-up some this evening.

Cheers

Reactions: jimboro

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
Doubt your shooting any benchrest game with a 30-06 Mauser and a 150gr fmj bullet with a cannelure, crimp the case into the cannelure lightly and don't lose any sleep over it, you probably won't see any difference on paper. Make sure your cases are all trimmed to the same length.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Words to live by. I usually crimp but, it's so light, just enough to overcome the flare and maybe to the point of .001-.002 lesser dia. I also always trim to the same length.Even my .38's. My thanks to all for your insights.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts