Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, Folks -

New member checking in, if there's room for one more.

Shoot a mighty fine Marlin 1895LTD 45-70 and think it's one of the greatest things since sliced bread.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Welcome, new member myself. Lot of good info here, been reading for some time and decided to registered a couple days ago.

I have a Marlin 444P.

DW

·
Banned
105 Posts
Welcome, kdub. I'm a recent "newbee" also. I think you will enjoy shooters forum. I shoot a 336/30-30, and a 1895 45-70 Guide Gun which I have come to love.

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,465 Posts
Welcome Aboard!

I'm sure in a short spell you'll be hooked on Marshall's great site also.

The folks here have a real warm "low key", information rich attitude! No flaming and friendly replies!

Enjoy! and have fun.

Be well,
Chris~:p

·
23,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the welcome, guys!

The only long time lever gun I've had is a Marlin 39 (no "A") that I bought used in a hock shop in Manitu Springs, Colo. back in 1957 when being discharged from Camp Carson in Colorado Springs. It cleaned up real nice, having a burled walnut stock, octagon barrel and case hardned receiver. Still have it today and intend on passing it on to my Grandson as soon as he's old enough (celebrates his 4th birthday the 14th).

Shot centerfires from .222 Mag to .375 Win, usually choosing the .25's to the 7mm's. Owned a Marlin 336C in 30-30 back in the late 60's for a short while - bad chamber that split the shoulders of the cases. Got rid of it and just used bolt actions until last year, when I had a deal come up I couldn't refuse on the Marlin 1895LTD. Now, the others hardly ever get out of the gun cabinet because the 45-70 is so much fun to shoot.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Kdub, be very very carefull with the 45/70 they become very addictive. I have had up to 4 at one time.:D

Gun Runner

·
Registered
445 Posts
Welcome to the list. I am a fellow Fort Carson detainee(A Co. 1/12 Inf.) but not until about 30 years after you left....mid 80's. I had forgotten about Manitou Springs...they had a nifty little Muzzeloading shop there when I was there. I am also from the Mesa, AZ area...now living in the North East, but still have much family there in Apache Junction. After leaving Carson, I bought my only current lever rifle...a Big Bore 94 in 356 Winchester. It is a challenging caliber as not much load info exists..at least what I am looking for. Listmembers have been kind and knowlegeable in helping me with this...my first cast bullet reloading project. Again...just thought I would say welcome and glad you survived Ft. Carson.

·
23,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi, Cris -

Thanks for the reply. Next time you're down Mesa way, give a holler and we'll put the coffee pot on!

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
kdub, Welcome from another recent member.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am addicted to big bore old cartridges and lever or single shot guns today I have been playing with a 40-82 with cast bullets. I made the mold years ago it is not perfect but it shoots as well as I can. I think that you can use some of the 358 Win. loads in the 356 as the 356 is supposed to have the same working pressure. I am getting old and have health problems but I still try to burn as much powder and throw as much lead as I can! As I said before good forum!

·
23,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, ya can't be all bad, Blackfoot4! Welcome to the board and be sure to share some of those years of wisdom with us.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts