Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My hunting buddy and I just made reservations for a NM private ranch elk hunt near Chama NM. Our outfitter was referred by a friend and has great references. Anyone else have any experience in elk hunting in this area. I opted for a cow tag as I already have a set of elk horns. My buddy is going for a nice bull. I am already ready to go. We have elk hunted many years in Colorado but have grown tired of the crowds. We decided to pay more for a better experience.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,497 Posts
Yep, plenty crowded here. I didn't even buy a tag last year due to diminished numbers and everybody and their dog, cat, gold fish and bird in the area. I guess the Elk HUNTING Capitol is appropriate.

RJ

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,886 Posts
Don't think you'll be disappointed, Jodum - that area is known for great elk hunting. With a cow tag, you shouldn't have any problems at all. What firepower are you taking?

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am taking three rifles. Winchester Mod 70 30-06, Mossberg Patriot 6.5 Creedmoor, Savage 99 300 Savage. I should be covered in any cover.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,886 Posts
Win M70 in 30-06 with 160- 180 gr bullets - way to go!

Reactions: jodum

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Love my 338 WM but it's only killed 3 elk. My ole ' 06 has killed about a dozen. Elk aren't bullet proof if you put one in the boiler room.

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Love my 338 WM but it's only killed 3 elk. My ole ' 06 has killed about a dozen. Elk aren't bullet proof if you put one in the boiler room.
Due to heart surgery and eye surgery I had to give up all my belted magnums but I have loved returning to the old and new non-belted cartridges. I strive for putting my shots in the boiler room.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts