Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day one and all.

I would like to take this opportunity to make a belated introduction.  I say belated because I have been enjoying this forum and the other associated site at Beartooth very much for the last few weeks.  Also, I have taken advantage of the opportunity to make a few posts myself already.  Please excuse me for not having introduced myself first.

Hunting and shooting have been a tradition in my family for as long as I can remember.  I grew up in northern Ontario in a place called Timmins.  Big moose and blackbears were a common sight in my youth with plenty of sightings in town.

I now live in New Brunswick, a couple of hours from the Maine border, on a 200 acre farm with my wife and three children.  The kids are fascinated by hunting and shooting and I hope to pass on this heritage to them as they grow up.  Even my wife, who is not a hunter per se, manages to keep the foxes separated from our hens with judicious use of a T/C Contender Carbine in .22LR.

Like many shooters, I have owned a whole bunch of different stuff over the years and regret some of the trades/sales made in the past.  I have only owned one lever gun in the 25 years I have been an active hunter/shooter which I shot for awhile and traded for something else.  Most of my guns have been scope sighted bolt and single shot rifles but the more I hunt in the North East, the less I feel I need this kind of armament.  The simplicity of an aperture sighted lever action and a big cast bullet is very appealing to me now.  

I have been reloading for more than 20 years but have never worked with cast bullets, except in 9mm pistols when I was shooting IPSC.  I had no idea just how advanced they were and certainly never considered using them for hunting!  This site has changed that thinking!

Anyways, thanks for giving shooters everywhere such a useful resource related to lead bullets and the arms that shoot them.  As the other Canadian members of this forum can attest, finding hardware and components for shooting is a lot tougher here than in the US, but the rewards are the same.  

Good shooting!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Welcome aboard, Kanuck ! As you know, this is the FINEST website pertaining the shooting sports, hunting, fishing, and anything else in between, with the greatest guys you can imagine. Looking forward to hearing about some of your tales involving the great white north.  :D

Jeff

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just because I'm in Canada doesn't guarantee the hunting is much better.  Like most places, it ain't what it used to be.  Worse, it seems that there aren't as many real hunters as there used to be.  

"No real hunter is a fool, but some real fools hunt!"

Anyway, it is hard to find good partners who I can rely on and who share the same philosophy about hunting.  Most of my hunts (and backpacking, and canoeing trips) have been solo.  

Besides, my work and my family don't allow as much time for hunting as I might like.  Oh, I could go hunting (and buy rifles) all I want but I kind of like it when my wife talks to me!;)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Kanuck,
         By browsing over your member profile, I see you yearn for a 1894 in .45 colt and a 1895 in .50 Alaskan, stainless steel versions. Like you, I'd love to see Marlin come out with these calibers, in a no frills package. Heck, I'd be happy with the blued versions. Glad to see you appreciate the big bores.

Jeff

·
Registered
572 Posts
A man after my own heart eh?

good thinking on guns and wimmins!

It is way to cold in the northland to sleep alone.

Thanks for the intro and I look foreward to hearing more.

Scotty

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Kanuck
Welcome! I don't wish to make you Jealuos , I have one of the rifles your looking for .Just bought the Trails End Win 94 and if your still wanting one in the .45 LC don't hestate -get it !!! Its a great gun and in 45 LC its a sweet shooter!! Going to use it for Muley this year in Idaho unless I get my 454 SRH shooting where it needs to be. But I'll still pack my Win 94 just incase. Hey for $375 it was worth every penny.:D

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,465 Posts
Hello Kanuck!

I'm a big fan of the levers also, 'specially the .45 colt. Plan on using just such gun in the hardwood of Vermont this year!
Welcome to the forum, you're gonna really like this one, fact is it's hard to stay away!

Good luck !!!
Chris~:D

·
Beartooth Regular
1,118 Posts
Kanuck, a belated greeting from the Keystone State! I'm envious of your canoe hunting trips. That's something Ive been desirous of for as long as I can remember. One of these days...

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Hi Kanuck from the Palmetto state. I love those levers too as you probably have gathered. This is my first year hunting with the 1894 and I have enjoyed it so far. Can't wait to see the result of a 240 gr XTP in the boiler room of a little deer. I scouted with it last Saturday and even in the 90 degree heat I was impressed with the way it carries. W

Welcome to the discussions. Looking forward to the shared experiences and knowledge.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I only have one thing to say... you need to invite me up to your place so I can chase some of those huge Whitetails that I hear live in your area.
Signed, Green with envy;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts