Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
$24.95 for Hardback. Not a bad price.
Yeah, a lot of shooters cringe at the costs of a new manual, but I'm sure the overhead on testing, printing and releasing same is not cheap.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,161 Posts
If you like a good work of fiction it's a great manual. Like reading an Elmer Keith book.

I've always found their claimed velocities a bit hard to swallow and they only use their brass and their bullets. Not knocking they have a good product, they do, but my data using their data isn't even close to their fantasy.

Sorry, just my opinion.

RJ

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
If you like a good work of fiction it's a great manual. Like reading an Elmer Keith book.
True enough. :)

I'd like to get some of their numbers though. My Whelen's would shoot more like a .270.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Yeah, as much as I like their products I find them to be a different tribe. I never got close to the claimed 2800 fps for my .35 Whelen with a 225 grainer.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Yeah, as much as I like their products I find them to be a different tribe. I never got close to the claimed 2800 fps for my .35 Whelen with a 225 grainer.
While I also scoff at Nosler's data, if you use PP 2000MR you can get 2800 FPS easily with your 225 grain bullet. Look at Speer's and Sierra's data and work up using their guidance. Sierra got 2900 FPS with their 225 SGK and 71.6 grains of PP 2000MR (though they must have struggled mightily to get that much in the case). I settled at 69 gr for 2828' with the 225 NAB in my 23" barreled 35 Whelen AI.
225 NAB 69 2000-MR 20190718c.JPG

Best of luck,
Rex

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
Sierra got 2900 FPS with their 225 SGK and 71.6 grains of PP 2000MR (though they must have struggled mightily to get that much in the case).
I don't have a Sierra manual, but I'm wondering what brass they used for the 2000 MR load. Remington brass will not swallow that much even when fire formed. ??

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
They used Norma brass, a WLR primer, and a universal receiver with a pressure barrel to generate their 35 Whelen data.

·
11,161 Posts
Happens I have some 2000MR and some fireformed 35 Whelen brass.

Hot off the press, here's my RP 35 Whelen with 69 grains of the powder in question.

Getting 71.6 in there would IMO be like trying to fit bowling balls in a marble bag.

Just so we're all "informed" 😉

RJ

Reactions: gunpa

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
With a 220gr Speer bullet and TAC powder I get over 2844 fps in my 35 Whelen. Haven't tried a 225 gr. bullet in 35 Whelen, but TAC delivers over 2800 fps in my 22", 350 Rem Mag with a number of 225 gr, bullets.

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
Hot off the press, here's my RP 35 Whelen with 69 grains of the powder in question.
Getting 71.6 in there would IMO be like trying to fit bowling balls in a marble bag.
Thanks RJ, I was wondering if my scale was broken.

Is the Nosler brass, (or any other brand) THAT much different???

·
Super Moderator
13,430 Posts
I think Nosler brass is made by Norma, which does tend to be high capacity (In 300 WM, 95.5 grains water overflow capacity, compared to 88 for Remington, for example).

Also, if you look at Western's data for Accurate ball powders, they published the only bulk density specs I've ever seen, some of which are up to ±5.6%, or 11.2% extreme spread. Assuming Alliant gets variation that high, too, the difference between loading with a minimally dense lot in a less capacious case, and a maximally dense lot in a Norma-made case could possibly account for that kind of difference.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Happens I have some 2000MR and some fireformed 35 Whelen brass.

Thanks for posting that. It’s good to have a visual demonstration for inexperienced reloaders of the variation in powder density from lot to lot, as well as variation in other components.

Curious: Is that Norma brass?

·
11,161 Posts
Thanks for posting that. It’s good to have a visual demonstration for inexperienced reloaders of the variation in powder density from lot to lot, as well as variation in other components.

Curious: Is that Norma brass?

To Tman as well:

That is RP brass which I find has "more capacity" than others like Norma, Hornady or Starline in comparable (.223, 308, 358 Win., Sevumag) size cases. A while back I was gifted several boxes of Herters (Norma) Sevumag brass and found it to have less capacity than RP and my Norma 358 Win brass also has less capacity than the WW after fire forming. Now my Norma brass is likely much older than what Unclenick tested so that may be the discrepancy in our findings as far as capacity.

Having had conversations with a fellow reloader and avid shooter about Nosler brass, he finds Nosler brass (28 and 30 Nosler) to give up, as in loose primer pockets, after 2-3 reloads and the Nosler brass seems to "grow" at a faster rate than say RP 300WM if those two (30 Nosler and 300MW) can be compared. I'm not up on who all supplies brass or provides factory ammo in the Nosler rounds so I'd hafta do some research. Anyways, I'm not sold on Nosler brass if that's all the longer they last for what they seem to cost.

RJ

$2.50-3.00 apiece for 30 Nosler sheesh!!!

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I've got a hundred pieces of 338 WM Nosler brass that's held up well so far. Maybe I'm not loading hot enough! It kicks bad enough so I'm close enough.

·
Super Moderator
13,430 Posts
...And I'm not recommending them, particularly. Only trying to explain the manual's apparently impossible load data. Norma can be both large, as in that 300 WM example, and small, as in some 6.5-284 cases I got some years ago. They are often pretty tight on neck wall runout and having no flash hole burrs, like Lapua. Part of their inspection process is reloading samples to see that they will make it through at least 10 loadings and firings.

·
Registered
151 Posts
The old #6 Nosler book had 26” for Whelen, which is why you can’t hit their velocity. I’ve been able to get within 50fps on many loads and many calibers. I just loaded some 30-06 from their data and hit their velocity with 2gr. Less powder. If you pay attention to the barrel length for the data and what barrel you're using, it's not far off.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
RJ, I've also not always liked Nosler's brass in terms of durability. It's always been consistently prepared out of the box for me, but in at least some cartridges it seems 'soft' to me. Norma's brass, and even Lapua's, have also not always been the most-durable option for me in some cartridges. In others they've been fine. At one time I'd have said Winchester brass, or in some cartridges R-P, is the most durable for me. Because I've had some utterly disastrous brass from at least Winchester, though, at this point I don't think I can choose a 'best' brass brand overall in the cartridges I load.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts