Shooters Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
New guy to sight, though I'm not new..........I'm OLD

Being an old guy, I'm set in my ways, I like blued guns with wood stocks, I like revolvers though I will admit I shoot 1911s better, (real 1911s not gimics). I like reading Hatcher better then LIlz. I'd rather have a 2 MOA gun I built then a 1/4 min gun I paid a years wages for.

Itty bitty groups are nice on paper, I've heard about a lot of sub min. guns but I have seen few cleaned 1000 yard targerts (with a 2 MOA 10-X Ring).

I dont belive you can gimic your way to good scores, I think good scores take hard work and rounds down range.

I'm grumpy and set in my ways, and as you will soon find out I cant spell worth a hoot.

I also retired from the Anchorage Police Dept. During the oral board, the Chief looked at my application and laughed saying "you can spell worth a #@%!" then hired me. They dont deduct, from my APD Pension, or my NG Retirement Check for Spelling.

And: REAL COPS CARRY REVOLVERS.

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
New guy to sight, though I'm not new..........I'm OLD

Being an old guy, I'm set in my ways, I like blued guns with wood stocks, I like revolvers though I will admit I shoot 1911s better, (real 1911s not gimics). I like reading Hatcher better then LIlz. I'd rather have a 2 MOA gun I built then a 1/4 min gun I paid a years wages for.

Itty bitty groups are nice on paper, I've heard about a lot of sub min. guns but I have seen few cleaned 1000 yard targerts (with a 2 MOA 10-X Ring).

I dont belive you can gimic your way to good scores, I think good scores take hard work and rounds down range.

I'm grumpy and set in my ways, and as you will soon find out I cant spell worth a hoot.

I also retired from the Anchorage Police Dept. During the oral board, the Chief looked at my application and laughed saying "you can spell worth a #@%!" then hired me. They dont deduct, from my APD Pension, or my NG Retirement Check for Spelling.

And: REAL COPS CARRY REVOLVERS.

They only carry revolvers if they are Redhawks, or S&W Mod 57's.:D:D:D

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
Welcome to ShootersForum, grumpy old guy. Sit a spell...you are among friends.

Thank you for all your years of service in both the military reserves and as a LEO. I think you will find your life experiences blend in here, although we have our share of "young guns", with their heads full of silly notions. Youth is wasted on the young!

Do you do much hunting or is most of your shooting centered around self-defense? It sounds like you have a good deal of experience with long-range target competition. What kind of guns have you shot at 1,000 yards?

Just trying to get a little conversation going. :) See ya around the forum.

Jason

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you do much hunting or is most of your shooting centered around self-defense? It sounds like you have a good deal of experience with long-range target competition. What kind of guns have you shot at 1,000 yards?

Jason
I do hunt, but I'm not into shooting critters. I'd rather take my Grandaughter elk hunting and having her pound me with snow balls or being the only elk camp in the big horns with three snow men. I hunt on horses and stay in living quarters in my horse trailer, I'm too old to sleep in snow banks anymore.

Ref: Long Distance Competition: Yes I ran the Alaska NG Marksmanship Unit for years, Coached the Rifle team, shooting both HP and 1000 matches. I mainly shoot high power. mostly with M14/M1A but now getting on the band wagon shooting ARs (White Oak). I built most of the 1000 yard rifles we (AKNG) shot, based on Wincherster Actions in 300 WM. But now I'm drifting to a Model 70 in 30-06 which is gonna be a Vietnam Era Sniper rifle, I tried it and so far it looks like its gonna be my GO TO 1000 yard gun when I dont have to use service rifle, which will be my White Oak AR.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Welcome here, Kraigwy.

I am defiantly one of the young guns (almost 25) and my head is most certainly full of silly notions. That's the way I like it. People never accomplished much by playing it safe! You have to live, not exist, right?

But don't worry, I'm inexperienced and I have no problem admitting it. I'm glad there's old guys like you (and others ;) ) that can teach me things.

What type of shooting do you like to do and with what?

See you around the forum,

Matt M

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,267 Posts
Welcome to the forum from another old retired LEO. Sounds like you have a lot to add to this great forum. Looking forward to reading your posts.

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
Kraig,

I'll say "welcome to this forum", since I already know you from the Firing Line. The main board rules are to join in, have fun, and play nicely with the rest of us kids. Others are in stickies here and there.

Just FYI, I checked, and you spelled "worth a hoot" just fine. ;)

·
Registered
676 Posts
Wait a minute, you mean they allow grumpy old guys here? :eek: Isn't that against forum rules or something? Oh dear, I just remembered I are one. Well from one codger to another welcome to the site...what was the subject again?:D

·
Banned
421 Posts
Welcome to the forum from another old fart kraigwy. Lookin forward to your contributions. I'm sure you'll be right at home since there are a lot of others here from our age group. Enjoy your stay!

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Kraigwy,

Welcome to the site from another retired soldier. See you enjoy shooting the M14 at 1000 yds like I do. I was working toward my Distinguished Pistol when I got out. One of these days I'd like to get back into it after get to stay home. Did shoot the M4A1 in the All Army Matches also and trying to get DCM to sanction it in Service Rifle (my match guns were the same M9,M14 NM and M4A1 that I carried down range).

CD

·
Registered
161 Posts
I ll be 3/4 of a century this fall . Is that old ? Welcome to this forum ,I bet youll find some of the young pups posts interesting.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Sorry I'm late chiming in, welcome, and thanks to all you vets and LEOs. No substitute for experience, craftsmanship, and ingenuity.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hi guys, I am a new old guy too. I have been shooting handguns every chance I get for the last 42 years, and reloading for the last 30+ years. I dont type well so my posts will be short and to the (my) point. I like most of what I read in this forum.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hello all, I am new here. I live in west Texas, am a USAF Vet 1960-1064. Helped keep the B-52s flying.
Am 75 YO, retired machinist.Don't hunt any more but enjoy reloading and shooting both rifle and pistols.
I enjoy reading on this forum.

Brass picker

1 - 19 of 19 Posts