Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
which lyman sizer is older? grey or orange? also on a previous post bongo boy suggested hard lube and a heater.would it be a wise chioce to just start out with a heated sizer from the git go if i got the jack?

·
Banned
1,404 Posts
Lyman sizers started black then orange then gray now there back to orange. The number 45 is the oldest which could be black or orange with the 450 falling next. I've found most gray in color although I have one thats orange. The latest is a 4500 model which has a hole in the base for the heater where older models you inserted an alum pad with the heater in it between the sizer and table. I've never used the hard lubes in nearly forty five years of shooting cast lead bullets. Then I'm not pursuing top velocity either. Since I live farther north don't have hot weather to contend with softing the softer lubes.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
I've always liked the heater option since I lean towards the use of hard lubes. Hard lubes tend not to get "sticky" leaving lube on the fingers when handling bullets and building up inside seater dies. Suggest you go for the heater be it in the lubrisizer or heater plate under it if you have the "jack". Just my dos centavos, YMMV.

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
If you have the jack, look at the Star, too.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I find bullets with red or blue lube still in the grooves, my 50/50 alox/bees wax is all gone and the muzzle is wet. Can the hard lubes be doing there job if the lube remains on the bullet? My lyman 450 works well for many years.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
. . . Can the hard lubes be doing there job if the lube remains on the bullet?
The hard lubes are doing their job if your barrel is lead-free after a good range session. It really doesn't take much lube of either soft or hard to do its' job. In fact, I've found pieces of hard bullet lube on the target so I know it makes it out the barrel along with the bullet.:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts