Shooters Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, this my first posting on the forum. After wanting one for as long as I can remember, I finally decided to spend the money and found a nice 1894 octagon barrel rifle in 38-55. It's in real nice shape with lots of blue on the barrel and magazine tube and a decent bore. It came with a Cody letter that states that it was shipped 10-9-1897. The barrel is not marked for smokeless powder. My question is, what's a safe load for a Winchester of this vintage? The bore slugged at .380, so I guess I should be looking for 381 or 382 cast bullets, right? What weight? Would the Starline 2.125 brass be correct for this chamber? Any load recommendations? What pressure, velocities are the top end for this old gal? I apologize if I'm asking some pretty basic questions, but I guess I'm just nervous about damaging anything, I've never loaded for anything this old before. Thanks a bunch!

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,254 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on such a marvelous find. Your gun is close to the time that smokeless powder was the norm but a 94 buff may be able to steer you.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts