Shooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering buying in the next month a Dillion RL550B press. I would appreciate comments from those that have experience with this press. As to your pros/cons and what optional accessories you would recommend and what is a fair price
Package includes press and:
• Automatic powder measure assembly
• Powder die
• Toolhead assembly
• Automatic primer system for large and small primers
Optional accessories NOT INCLUDED:
•• Conversion Kits @ $32.95 (most calibers)
• Die Sets (3-piece carbide) @ $47.95 (most calibers)
• Deluxe Quick Change Assembly @ $69.95
• Additional Auto Powder Measure System @ $55.95
• Low Powder Sensor @ $33.95
• Roller handle @ $25.95
• Strong Mounts @ $33.95
• Bullet Tray @ $27.95
• Power Upgrade Kit (contains all 4 of above, LP Sensor, Roller Handle, Strong Mounts, and Bullet tray @ $99.95
• Machine Cover @ $22.95
• D-Terminator Electronic Scale @ $125.95
• Machine Maintenance Kit @ $22.95
• Extra Toolheads @ $12.95 ea.
• Toolhead Stands @ $10.95 ea.
• Extra Powder Dies @ $5.95 ea

·
Banned
585 Posts
Ahh, ya cant go wrong with a 550. You need the strong mount and the optional handle. Skip the low poweder sensor as you can see thru the plastic poweder funnel. I have about 20,000 rounds thru mine and the only problem I run into is with big cartridges like, 338/378 weatherby or 450 marlin. It does all the .308's , 223's and any pistol round just fine. You will want extra toolheads for each die set as when you set up each caliber you dont want to have to re set it up again when changing calibers. Get the power upgrade and the dterminator scale works great.

Personally I have a toolhead, with the dies set and the powder funnel set up for each caliber I shoot, (8 now) but I am lazy, once I get the load and seating correct I like to not have to think about it again :O);)

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
SCSOUTH,
Zep is right, you can't go wrong with a 550. I don't have the strong mount, but my presses are on a 1.5" thick plywood bench that was built for the intended purpose at the proper height. I'm thinking about the roller handle, looks more comfortable than the stock unit. I wouldn't use any reloading scale that isn't electronic, but that's my preference. Whatever type of scale you use, buy the check weights and use them. If you load frequently, and more than one caliber, I would suggest you purchase the toolheads and powder dies for each caliber you use. These inexpensive accesories are cheaper by the three, and save you LOTS of time. The most critical adjustment on the press, as far as case life goes, is the case mouth bell, and the extra toolhead and powder die make it a one-time adjustment. You'll never regret buying a 550, unless you need a 650(800-1000rds and hour). If you only use 2-3 calibers, and like to stick with the same loads, I'd also look into buying a powder measure for each if the budget allows. When you do this, you slip in the toolhead, change the shellplate, add powder, verify the charge and LOAD!. It takes about 2-3 minutes, max, to perform the tasks in the last sentence once you've done it a couple times.

·
Banned
585 Posts
The Zeppy is always correct. Now, If I could only get dies for my 50 Beowulf I would be a happy camper.

·
Banned
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Which Dies 45ACP

Which dies 45ACP?

Thanks for all the good advice.
Last week I found through the local paper a used 550 with a lot of extras for about the price of a new one. I could not pass it up. Since I have recently moved and don’t have a work bench set up yet I have not put the press together. The person that sold it to me said he had the press about two years and used it only a couple of times when he first bought it, it looks as if it has never been used, not a scratch or dirt anywhere. I will be loading 357, 45acp, 45lc some 44mag and 270 win. I do not have dies yet for the 45acp for the other I have a combination of Lee and RCBS. Will the Lee and RCBS work good with the 550 also what do you recommend for the 45acp.

I will take your good advice about buying the extra tool heads, powder dies and powder measure as the budget allows. I enjoy loading but one of the reasons I am moving from the single stage press is to cut down the set up time so I can spend more time shooting.

Thanks again for all your advise

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
SCSOUTH,
I have never tried a set of the Dillon progressive dies, but they look very good for use in a prgressive press. If you intend to use lead bullets in your .45 I think they are probably the best bet. They offer a way to clean your dies easily without actually removing the die body, or affecting the adjustment, with little hassle. The toolheads and powder dies are a must if you want to save time, and they are very inexpensive. You'd be making a mistake not to order them if you want to save time and hassle. If I where you, I'd save the .270 for last on the progressive. The powder measures are nice, but a convenience, I view the toolheads and powder dies as a neccesity. You're going to have to order your caliber conversion kits anyway, unless the guy you bought it from had caliber conversion kits for all the catridges you load. One more tip would be to determine what type of crimp dies you want to use, as this press allows bullet seating and crimping in seperate steps. This is a very beneficial attribute of most progressive presses. It allows for much more uniform crimping which makes for more uniform ammo, read that: more accurate in many cases. When speaking of crimp, I'm talking about straight wall rifle and pistol rounds. For crimp dies, I like the Redding Profile Crimp, but a lot of guys on here swear by the Lee Factory Crimp Die. The Lee die is probably less expensive and easier to come by at a local shop. You might want to get an extra 5 pack of primer tubes when you order your caliber conversions and other stuff, it speeds things up for a little cash.

·
Registered
306 Posts
SCSOUTH,I also have the Dillon 550, have pushed close to a million (thats right) rounds thru it. I load for a hobby and do a bunch for family and several friends. On the 45acp I use the Lee crimp die. I work part time in a gun shop and we have a dillon set up for show (in 45acp) I made up several Dummie rds using rn swc cast and jacketed. people tell me that their gun wont feed cast or swc. I can take any 45 in the shop and run the mixed rounds thru it. Several people have had me run the rounds thru their guns, and they cycle with no probs. Its just a simple matter matter of getting it set right and leaving it set. I have tool heads for all the cals. I load and leave the dies set up ready to go. I have two powder measures, one set up with the large powder bar and one with the small powder bar. Planning on getting another 550 press and using one for pistols one for rifles. I load 380, 9mm, 30carbine, 40s&w, 41 mag,44 spl/mag 45acp, 45colt, 454, 223, 22-250, 300sav, 30/30, 7x57, 7mag 30/06, 338mag, 8x57, and my all time fav. 45/70. Yes I have a couple of dollars wrapped up but it been gathered over the years and some of the people I load for have purchased dies, shell plates, etc. As for pistol dies all I use and recommend is Carbide dies

Gun Runner

·
Banned
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will need to order the caliber conversion kits, tool heads and powder dies for my pistol calibers. I think the previous owner loaded .223 the couple of times he used the press. Some of the dies that came with the press are for 223, 30-6 and 308. I have a 223 but have not loaded for it…. I will probably continue to use the single stage for my 270 , in a short afternoon I can load a years supply for it.

I’ll spend the money for the pistol caliber items to help save the time because that’s where the higher volume loading will be. I did get a hand full of primer tubes with the press, that was another plus in the deal.

Where is a good place other than direct from Dillion to order my other needs or do I need to order direct from Dillion? Any opinions or suggestions are welcomed.
Thanks
SCSOUTH

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
There are some places that offer Dillon stuff at a slight discount, but they don't always have the stuff in stock. If you have a stocking dealer in your area, that is where I would go. Failing that, just go to Dillon Precision

·
Banned
585 Posts
Lucky Dillon is about 15 miles from my house. They always treat your right. Ever seen his mini guns? Wow

Who is Clint? Like in Eastwood?

·
Banned
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I found that from ebay I can get conversions $32.95 each, toolheads $12.95 ea., and powder dies $5.95 each plus some shipping. I would need 3 sets to get my pistol calibers going.....
You guys are great, thanks for all your input.
Have a good day.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Check www.brianenos.com for Dillion equip. I just ordered a complete setup from there. Brian is great to work with, charges the same shipping, and averages about 10% off Dillon list prices. You can order online, or give him a call and he will find the most cost effective way to get you the things you need.

Whytknyt

1 - 14 of 14 Posts