Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found my new rifle in .357 20" barrel shoots magnum loads 16-18" high with rear sight adj. all the way down. This is no good so today I removed the leaf and bent it in a vice to apply more downward pressure on the sliding adjuster. The leaf didn't have any spring pressure in last notch now it has plenty. I also modified slider by cutting off fwd. 3/16" so that the leaf can set down on the curved portion beyond the lowest adj. notch. If this is still not enough I will file off the top of the rear sight.
BTW, i chrono'd everything I shot yesterday. The 158 gr. flat point Winchester's shot 1840 +or -, the 148 gr. Win. silver bullet were shooting 2030 to 2050 fps! Does this sound right? Sounds way high to me. I will try my sight work tomorrow.

·
Banned
421 Posts
To get the rifle to shoot lower you need a taller front sight. Ideally, I like to have the rear sight set on the lowest notch, and have it zeroed at 50 yards. Then, each notch will hopefully give me another 50 yards. I believe Williams has a formula on there website that will let you calculate what height front sight you need. You definitely should not have to bend or otherwise alter your rear sight to get to zero.
Just remember, move the rear sight in the direction you want the shot to move, and move the front sight in the opposite direction.
Hope that helps!

·
Registered
584 Posts
Your 158grn velocity compares with what I got from mine too. I'm running my reloads a bit under max charge currently and getting 1,822fps.

·
Registered
788 Posts
If your rear sight is anything like mine, you will not be able to effectively change the point of impact by filing down the rear sight. It really sounds like you need to get a higher front sight. This is easy to do and probably easier than playing around with your rear sight.

·
Banned
57 Posts
I bought the higher front sight for my 20" .45 Colt. Solved the problem. Look at Midway, a number of different heights. Get the 1/16" bead, 1/2" base.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
I have my Grandpa's original Model '92 Winchester and when dad had a new barrel installed, we used fiber-optic sights. The bullets were all hitting high, so we went to the next higher front blade and that solved the problem, and gave a slightly farther PBR, not that it matters for the 44/40.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I didn't want a taller front sight to catch on stuff so I filed the top of my rear sight to correct a too high impact. Worked great. Just be very meticulouos about filing it level as any slope to it would likely drive you crazy.

Andy

·
Registered
31 Posts
Also shooting high

My M92 shoots about 5" high at 50 yds.

The front sight is 0.244 inches high and the rear sight height is 0.363". My calculations show that I need to adjust a total of 0.058" (about 1.2mm). I think that I will try lowering the rear sight by filing the sight adjustment ramp and the height of the rear sight.

The dovetails for the sights appear to be the 3/8" standard dovetail so new parts can be used. The patridge style front sight in the Midway catalogue seems to be a good possibility.

I am trying for a 50 zero with the lowest rear sight setting.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the same problem. Removed the rear sight elevator and removed .03 off of the bottom of the elevator. Bent the rear sight to put more downward tension on the elevator. Problem solved.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts