Shooters Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all...new to the forum. I hope I'm in the right section.

I've got a Model 70 XTR bull barreled .243, I bought from my dad (who bought it new in 1979), that has a hard butt plate. I was thinking about putting a new recoil pad on it. Will this will devalue the gun at all? Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
38,092 Posts
Devalue it? Almost a requirement for Winchesters, I think the factory "pads" are made out of concrete :eek:

Put a nice pad on it, save the old one in case you want it back on later, no harm done. My opinion.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,196 Posts
If in doubt about value, you could always put a slip-on pad for now and remove it when contemplating selling.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
"Properly installed", besides no screw hole/screwdriver marks on the pad face, means that any pad's outlines, when viewed from the top & sides, are an extension of the buttstock's existing top/bottom & side lines - and don't stray off at some other angle.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Let us know what you decide on. I myself like nothing more than a solid red pad on the end of a rifle, even if it's one of those hard Winchester pads. Of course, I don't shoot the Monster Rockets some of the members in here shoot.
Will do. The thing is I dont really need it to calm any recoil. The gun has a tendency to slip off my shoulder, especially when I'm wearing a thicker coat or jacket...kind of annoying.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.