Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i checked it drop at 240yrds with 170 grn winchester power point..
dropped 12.5inch an dead center of box,i was using for target..almost no wind ..that ain t too shabby in my way of looking at it..
this was par for the ballistics chart ,gil put me onto..
suppose to be still doing 1700 at that distance..
who ever said the 30 30 was a 200 an under gun..
i believe it was me .:). but if this was the only rifle i had.. i believe i could take her out a little further ,if need be..im just surprised ,its accurate that far out..
oh well ,i recon it ll go with me more..its lighter than the 06..
of course the 06 is still the field gun as its accurately zeroed at 240...
dang learning this stuff is fun..
hats off to you fellas that stick by you 30 30.. its a can do gun if you get to know it...
this gun may get taken with me more ,since i know it will do that..slim
ps man i wish id bought this range finder a long time ago..:)

·
Banned
507 Posts
I have been shooting a Marlin 336 in 30-30 for about 5 years now, it is a great rifle. I limited the range I hunt, to about 100 to 150 tards for several reasons, I live in the foot hills of Appalachia, so long flat areas are few and far apart. My vision is starting to fail a little. Some of the animals I hunt require alittle more power beyond 200 yards, so I use my Marlin 336 in 35 Remy for that hunting.

The best cast bullets I have used for 30-30 and 35 Remy came from molds that are designed and sold by Ranch Dog Sports.

Jerry

·
Registered
7,712 Posts
Is not so much the Marlin as it is the cartridge. 30-30 is wonderful no mater the rifle!

I know of a H&R that will do near 0.5 MOA out to 300 yards!

That's all target stuff. The cartridge runs out of poop nearer 200.

Sure good that you have re-dicovered the 30-30 slim!

Cheezywan

·
Registered
11,966 Posts
When I was a youngster I remember Grandpa taking what seemed like incredible shots at coyotes and many times connecting. This was an old M94 .... iron sights and all on mostly moving targets.

·
Registered
381 Posts
30-30 has its limitations, but still a very good hunting round when used properly. Remember a gun magazine article I read many many years ago about it once being a popular cartridge among match shooters.

LOL, but I do remember the time I was deer hunting and had opportunity to view a gent in his 80's, who took 3 shots with his 30-30 at several deer at least 220 yards or more away. After each shot, I could see where his bullets were landing and closest he got was with the third shot and it landed about 30 yards short of the deer before they trotted off into the woods. 80 year old gent used a 30-30 lever rifle that his father had bought in a pawn shop during the Great Depression. On side of butt of stock were the large letters U.S., which I assumed meant that at one time it had been a U.S. calvary rifle. Guess the old rifle's bore was flat too worn out to shoot a bullet over 200 yards.

·
Registered
7,712 Posts
30-30 is easy to learn because of those same limits. Lots of faster cartridges will better it.

Good fun to run black powder and lead bullets. More fun to use smokeless powders with the same bullets at racoon rolling speed (easier to clean also).

A case full of most medium-speed smokeless powders will get near mach II behind a jacketed bullet. Ask any deer about that?

Cheezywan

·
Banned
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
at 220 i wouldn t hesitate a bit on a shoulder shot,with mine..
plus id know ,most likely all the energy was spent in the shoulder..
the 06 would go through ,but this rnd would probably just bust the shoulder an be found in the vitals somewhere..jmo slim

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Slim,

Got two questions for you.
1) What range did you zero for that give you that 12.5 drop?
2) Have you tried Hornady's 160 gr LEVERevolution ammo at that range?

Good shooting!

CD

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
CD, normally Im a big Hornady guy, but judging from my brothers one bad experience with the 160gr LeverEvoloution in his 336, I wouldnt touch them. Bullet pencil holed through with a shot of about 20 yards. Doe ran for **** and ever. Took hours to track her down and drag her back. Most people would have probably gave up.

But, assuming a 2300fps muzzle velocity, he said he was 12.5" low at 240 yards, and it was "supposed" to be going 1700 at that point, Im going to say it's zeroed for 100 yards. 170gr Flat Nose, BC of .3 or less, 2300 MV, zeroed for 100 yards is 12.49" low at 240 yards showing 1711 fps by my "new fangled guess machine" :D

·
Banned
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
gun zeroed at 100 . yep i tried the leverlution but opted to go back to my winchester 170 power pt..they sure shoot way different than the lever lution..mine,, sighted with 170 power point would put the 160 leverlution real high.. i forget the exact inches at the hundred..thanks slim

·
Registered
817 Posts
Here we go again. Lots of theoretical blah blah when reality exists only in the hunting fields. It's like answering the question, "Who is more important to a baseball team, the pitcher or the catcher?"

First, most hunters are way less capable, under field conditions, of connecting with the vitals of a game animal than the potential lethality of the cartridge their rifle is chambered for.

Second, as a culture, we in the U.S. of A. are overly impressed with our tools and criminally negligent in the area of individual skill acquisition.

Finally, the .30-30 is like Aspirin: it works incredibly well and science cannot tell us exactly why. My suggestion is that the lethality of the .30 WCF cartridge is wonderfully congruent with the modest skills of the average rifle owner. When that cartridge and those mediocre marksmen take to the deer woods the combination is entirely adequate as long as the hunter "plays within his game."

To increase the success ratio of hunter and rifle (when the .30 WCF, or any other cartridge, is employed) practice is the key. "Know your rifle, know your cartridge, know your quarry and your success ratio will skyrocket." Likewise, "A true sportsman is best known for the shots he/she does NOT take, more than the shots taken."

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,711 Posts
Slim I got a crow with the Winchester 170gr. load. It works :D

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
gun zeroed at 100 . yep i tried the leverlution but opted to go back to my winchester 170 power pt..they sure shoot way different than the lever lution..mine,, sighted with 170 power point would put the 160 leverlution real high.. i forget the exact inches at the hundred..thanks slim

Slim, I dont know how many you have stock piled, but I can't find a Win 170gr PowerPoint on Winchester's website, or at Midway as a componet. Not sure if they discontinued them or what is up there.

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,467 Posts
Slim, I dont know how many you have stock piled, but I can't find a Win 170gr PowerPoint on Winchester's website, or at Midway as a componet. Not sure if they discontinued them or what is up there.
Those of us who still have them covet them, like the famed silver tips..

Bullets are available thru Midway, you could always roll your own.

EDIT****

My bad, seems they only offer 150 in flat nose, and 180 spire...:eek:

They are good bullets tho, even the 55 grain .224 caliber choice. The power point is a great choice in any caliber.

As of late, I have been loading Marshall's 160gr. leads in my 30-30, with stellar results.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Tang is in Viirginia, where the roar of his magnums are still bouncing off the mountains and ringing through the valleys. :D

LMAO ! They really do roar around. Most of the time my neighbors over the hill starts shooting when I do. I then have to get out the AK, and show them how to go through 75 rounds :D

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
I seem to inspire my neighbors when I start shooting because if they don't start in right away, it's never more than a day or two later and they're out there blasting! Finally, I'm a positive influence on someone! :)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts