Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am on the verge of rebarreling a rem700 or getting a er shaw rifle built. Primary use east coast deer, hogs, etc. Pipe dreams of going west when becomes a possibility. 308 win is where I'm leaning 1:12 for heavier bullets thru 18" barrel, mostly suppressed. Looking at 600 rebarrel, 1000 new rifle built off savage action, but with threaded in barrel. Want to stay short action for handling, considering larger bore. Any been there done that regrets or encouragement? Trying to keep rifle about 7 pounds before optics or can.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh yeah

Large holes and drt capability of 110gr pyrodex behind saboted .45 250gr made a believer as far as stability and penetration vs velocity as my goal.

·
The Shadow (Super Mod)
7,318 Posts
...What?
The only question I think I could follow is: Re-barrel, or buy new.
So you want Pro's/Con's of each?

If you are actually going to shoot heavy bullets in the 308, and plan on shooting suppressed with a SBR; you may be sad if you don't go with the 10-twist. Depending on your suppressor, MOST folks not building machine gun versions tell you to have at a bare minimum of 2 rotations prior to bullet exit. Most full auto rated cans say 1.5 rotations.

Beyond that, if you like your Remington then Re-barrel. Otherwise I would buy a Ruger for $600. $0.02

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Go with the E.R. Shaw re-barrel. Stainless in 260Rem.1/8 twist. Use either Barnes 100gr or 12ogr TSX. For years I have been taking mature elk with the Barnes 120gr TSX but sounds like the 100gr TSX would serve your needs. Recoil like a .243 but total penetration. Think about it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts