Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am looking for a new bolt action hunting rifle. I would primarily be using it for deer and maybe elk. I currently have a .243 and a AR-15 in 5.56.

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
I'm not an elk hunter, but a 243 is a great gun for deer under most circumstances. What range and conditions are you looking at hunting?

·
Registered
55 Posts
.25-06 is the most underrated caliber. And you can’t go wrong with a .30-06 either. I’d roll with Tikka or Weatherby on brands. It’s really gonna come down to personal preference. Even a cheap savage is good for the price.

·
Registered
138 Posts
A) Welcome to the board! Hope you continue to join in the fun! There are many very experienced folk here who will likely expand your questions beyond ......
B) What part of MO? I grew up around the Lake of the Ozarks. Ranges there went from not so many feet to hundreds of yards over cleared pastures.
C) A guide I like to give folk is to buy something reccomended by experts, but only buy what eats ammo you can get @ Krogers!😁 Best if it is a std Military/Police round. In my day i would hang @ the gun stores & read the major makers ammo blurbs, the ones that list all they make. Way back then the most popular was .30-06 hands down. Today I would MAYBE lean more to the .308 Winchester.

Best of luck! Stay tuned.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I live in Herman. There aren’t any ranges where I can shoot really far. There is one but I don’t have time to go that much

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
.25-06 is the most underrated caliber. And you can’t go wrong with a .30-06 either. I’d roll with Tikka or Weatherby on brands. It’s really gonna come down to personal preference. Even a cheap savage is good for the price.
I would get a 25/06 but I worry about being able to find ammo for it

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
8,756 Posts
For availability of ammo, the big three listed earlier(270, 308, 30-06) are going to be very hard to beat. Any of them will more than easily take down an elk swiftly, assuming you do your part.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Potpie, if elk is possibly in your future, I would go with a 270 or 30-06 as a minimum, and your ranges will likely exceed 100 yard as it's doubtful you'll get drawn for the very limited number of Missouri special hunt elk tags, so you're looking at western state hunting distances. If you stay with Missouri deer, any of the mentioned choices are fine.
BTW, I'm in St. Charles, MO.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I live in Herman. There aren’t any ranges where I can shoot really far. There is one but I don’t have time to go that much
Potpie, there is a 500 yd range on Owensville. You have to be a member, but it's pretty cheap to join. Owensville Gun Club. They have a webpage. I drive out there from Fenton to shoot longer ranges than 100 yd.

·
Registered
620 Posts
My heart wants to say 280 Remington. Great round in my opinion, but not very plentiful.

308 is absolutely tough to beat.

·
Registered
7,886 Posts
Ok, I think I am going to go with the 308.
Having owned about 15 of each, unless you already have a preference for a specific rifle and model (completely understandable!), I'd say the 06 has a slight edge over the .308.

But, I'll admit, in some cases, rifle directed, I do prefer the .308. Either one is an excellent choice and with enough practice on your part, you will own an excellent elk rifle.

Good luck!

·
Registered
287 Posts
308 or 30-06. In real life, critters can't tell the difference.

FWIW, I've shot elk with both.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Having had more great deer/elk acceptable rifles than i care to admit to, I’m a traditionalist and would go with a 30-06, which I did for years and years. The shorter action of a 308 is a strong influence though towards picking the 308 for several reasons. I had a 300 Win Mag for hunting the big boys in the plains and mountains out west, but realistically, that was overkill since I really try to limit myself to 400 yards unless 500-600 yards was the local min due to geography.

Buy the rifle (brand and caliber) that gives you a Willy when you start thinking of it at night.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I read many great suggestions to your question. I agree that the 30-06 and .308 are very hard to beat. The last elk hunt that i was on, my partner shot a cow at 310 yards and she dropped with one shot. Personally, i have gotten interested in the 6.5’s and i love the 6.5x55. I also have a 6.5 PRC that is incredibly accurate! The problem is ammo can be hard to locate and its best to reload these rounds. All that being said, my last elk was a 6x7 bull that i took with the tried and true 30-06! Mine happens to be a pre 1964 Winchester model 70 and it’s my go to hunter, both deer and elk.

·
Registered
354 Posts
If I wanted just one gun that could do it all I would get the .270 and sell the .243. The .270 is very versatile and will do anything the .243 will do and more.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts