Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking for a new rifle for whitetail that would be good for a 300-400 yard shot out of the box and also a good caliber. Im really considering a tikka t3 or possibly savage. Thanks for any ideas

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
What's your intended budget??

Regardless of budget, I'd vote for a Weatherby Vanguard in your choice of caliber .25 or above. These rifles are priced very reasonably and shoot like a house on fire. With quality optics a 300-400 yarder on a standing whitetail would be a chip shot. Really.

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,268 Posts
I agree, the Weatherby Vanguard or a Savage would be a good choice. I have both and either one will do what you ask and are of similar price.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Certainly nothing wrong with rifles suggested in prior posts. Might want to consider the Marlin XL or XS rifle.....for a lower priced rifle, out of the box it is an accurate rifle with a good trigger. I have one in 25-06 and quite pleased with it. As for cartridges suitable for your 300-400 yard whitetail shots.....then the 30-06, 308, 270 or 7mm-08 will be OK. Of course, if you enjoy heavy recoil and buying more expensive ammo, then go with a magnum cartridge.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Of your choices, the Savage is at least made in the USA. I'd take it over the rest.

·
Banned
1,404 Posts
Another feature in favor of the Savage is the ability to change calibers easily by inexpensive barrel change. Its the lego edition of the firearms world. Typical barrel cost less than $150 whereas an Encore barrel will run over $300. You get a repeater verses single shot with the Savage.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Another vote for the Weatherby Vanguard. I have one in 7mm-08 synthetic and it shoots like a dream out to 300 yds.

·
Banned
397 Posts
My Son has a Weatherby Vanguard in .300 Weatherby caliber.
He put a muzzle break on it so it wouldn't kick so hard. It's a
***** cat to shoot and is accurate and powerfull.

Zeke

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Any of the above mentioned rifles in a suitable caliber are more than up to the task, the biggist limiting factor would be the shooter, it takes lots of practice to become proficient at longer ranges.

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,467 Posts
Where is it that you are going to get a clean-clear 400 yard shot at a whitetail?

Ethically, there's more chance of a wounded animal at those ranges. A 400 yard gap should be closed before a shot is taken.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I bought a Howa 1500 for around $400 last year and it shoots great. (The 1500 is from the same factory and is the same design as the Weatherby Vangard). It is a well made rifle and I really love the Hogue stock.

I use to think you "got what you paid for" in these matters and I still think that is true of optics, but Savage made me think differently when it comes to rifles. I bought a Savage Steven 200 for $199 a few years back and it consistenly shoots sub 1" groups. My other big game rifles average about 1.5" even though they cost three to four times more than that Stevens.

On that note, look at the links below. $261 (actually $273 delivered) is pretty hard to beat for Savage accuracy. Any good gunsmith can hone the trigger for $25 to $50 if you aren't able to do it yourself. So your looking at $323 even if you don't like the factory trigger. I have one on order in 7mm-08. $261 for a new Savage was just more than I could pass up. In your situation, I would go with a .270 or .25-06. The money you save on the rifle should be put into better optics. Again, you do get what you pay for in that area IMO.

One note, I don't know yet if the Edge will be the same, but on that Stevens 200, it took about 50 break-in shots and a couple cleanings before I got to sub MOA. It started with 2" groups.

I look at it this way. We all buy bolt action rifles because we want cloverleaf groups and dependability. For $800 dollars, I could buy one high end Ruger or Browning, or three Savages. Or I could buy a Ruger/Browning with no scope, or the Savage with a Zeiss Conquest, Bushnell 6500 or Leupold VX-3. Seems like an easy choice when you consider which brand rifle has the best accuracy reputation and the built-in ability to cheaply switch barrels. Savage has earned the market share they now command through both accuracy and price.

http://gunblast.com/Savage-Edge243.htm

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/73/products_id/64233

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
I too would have to lean toward a rifle made in USA. It's something that's been in my craw for the last decade or so, not that there's anything wrong with the quality of the rifles you mentioned.

The Remington 700 in any of the calibers Huffmanite mentioned could be another option.

·
Registered
722 Posts
All depending on your budget. The advice the others have given you is rock solid. I guess in my opinion the top bang for your buck right now are Savage / Stevens, Weatherby Vangaurd, Howa 1500 and the Marlins. A rifle just outside 300 to 400 dollars that will shoot 1 to 1.5 inch groups is great.

The Remington's, Rugers and Winchesters are just skyrocketing out of your average man's price range these days. Once you buy these, there is no money for good optics or good ammo.

So do it smart, save some of the money for optics and ammo.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Im on a tight budget as usual so the less expensive the better. I have a ruger 77 MII but its a compact in 308 and i dont feel super confident in it just because its so small and light. The vangaurd seems like a great deal but im hearing alot of good things from the savage edge shooters. Would 243 be enough at the 300-400 yard mark. Ive always hunted tight woods in PA so max shooting was always 60-80 yards. Im in a new hunting spot thats cleared and longer shots are available. If im not ready in time its no great loss ill just take the closer shots but i would hate to miss an opportunity due to poor preparation.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I have been hearing a lot of positives about the new XL7 from Marlin also. Very reasonable price and comes with their version "accutrigger" and several out of the box models are producing sub 1" with no adjustment and factory ammo. Just to add another one to your mix. ;)

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
As someone said before, there is a big difference between 300 and 400 yds. Past 300 is where trajectories really start to degrade. If you really want to shoot this far, be prepared to practice quite a bit and I would go with a .270 over a .243 more more energy downrange.

I was torn between the Savage Edge for $261 and the Marlin XL-7 for about $314. Since the trigger sear is easy to hone on the Savage, I saw no real advantage in the Marlin, but I am sure they are good arms as well. I just KNOW how good Savage barrels are.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Im on a tight budget as usual so the less expensive the better. I have a ruger 77 MII but its a compact in 308 and i dont feel super confident in it just because its so small and light. The vangaurd seems like a great deal but im hearing alot of good things from the savage edge shooters. Would 243 be enough at the 300-400 yard mark. Ive always hunted tight woods in PA so max shooting was always 60-80 yards. Im in a new hunting spot thats cleared and longer shots are available. If im not ready in time its no great loss ill just take the closer shots but i would hate to miss an opportunity due to poor preparation.
I would certainly advise you NOT to use a 243 at 300 and 400 yards, especially on deer size game.

400 yards is a touch tough shot, and I strongly advise you to practice at those ranges before attempting that kind of shot, and you will want a caliber that can deliver the punch out to that far.

Non- Magnum calibers I would suggest for that kind of range on deer size game would be a 270 Win, 280 Rem, 30-06. Your 308 may just do the job out to that far, but without looking at ballistics charts I would be concerned about that.

·
Banned
47 Posts
These guys are right.... the Savage has come a long, long way the past few years. They are very accurate out of the box - very comparable to a Sako/Tikka in terms of accuracy. The Savage, Tikka, and Weatherby Vanguard, IMO, are the three BEST values out their. You can't go wrong with any of them. However, if where the gun is made does matter, Savage (USA), Tikka (Finland), and Weatherby (Japan). I would recommend handling and shouldering all 3 guns, or all guns in question, and I'll bet you one of them will just "feel right". Go with the gun that FITS you the best.

In terms of a scope, my recommendation would be a Leupold (USA), but many guys like the Bushnell 3200 or 4200 (Japan), or the Zeiss Conquest (Germany).

·
Registered
38 Posts
300 To 400 Yard Shots

Remington Model 700 in the cdl adl or sps 300 win mag and don't look back have a gun for any game in north america

1 - 20 of 40 Posts