Shooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finely dropped the dime on a new Rossi 357. It's a carbine 20 in round barrel. I'd say fit and finish is good with the wood to metal fit even better than my 44 rifle. I'll get it out to the range soon I hope and see how it shoots. Trigger has a little creep but breaks at 4#so I'll leave it as is for now till I get it broke in. Also seems smother than the 44 that I bought new 5 yrs ago.
Range report later.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Hope you enjoy your new Rossi as much as I do mine. I've had both of my .357mag Rossis, a 24" rifle and 20" carbine, since 2009 and they are flat out a hoot to shoot. I slicked up and lightened the action and trigger using Steve Young's kit and DvD and I can say that they both are slick shooters. Neither will be as fast actioned as my '66 and '73 Ubertis but then they don't have the strong action my Rossis do to take full power loads either.

If you handload like I do, you can make up ammo for the .357mag from 110grn Mouse Farts all the up to 200grn hammers. I've been loading a lot of 158grn Zero JSP loads using Lil'Gun powder, Starline brass, and SPM/SR primers and a full power load with those will produce a startling 1,952fps in my carbine and even higher in my rifle! Further, Buffalo Bore makes a 158grn .357Mag Heavy load that they claim produces 2,153fps out of an 18" Marlin levergun!!

In the spirit of "I'll show you mine if you show me yours," here are my two beauties.

Reactions: 7 Ring and 7MMRLC

·
Registered
520 Posts
Do a thorough cleaning and oiling before you ever load a cartridge, and make sure the ammo you are using does not have any bulging of the cases. Bulged cases do not fit through the cartridge guides. For what it's worth, where did you find a NEW Rossi??

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mod 92

Thanks CO S,
I've followed a lot of your post on the Rossi for a long time. My 44 rifle has been used on silhouette matches out to 200 yds with no problem taking down the Rams after I dialed in the tang sight.
I've loaded the 357 ammo with 158 gr jsp and lil gun along with some others with 2400 for a test.
Hope to make it to the range tomorrow and give it a test run. I have a match coming up the middle of the month and they have a stage for the pistol cal rifles on gongs out to 100 yds.

BR: I always clean any new gun that comes into my stable.:) One thing with this one compared to the older 44 I bought a few yrs back is this ones not swimming in shipping oil like the 44 was. The 357 cleaned up easy compared to the 44.
I found this one on Bud's after a long long wait. I had even looked into the Win 92 short rifle and the Marlin 1894. But wanted a JM Marlin but didn't want to pay the price they were asking for the used one's.
I think for the price the Rossi is hard to beat.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Thanks CO S,
I've followed a lot of your post on the Rossi for a long time. My 44 rifle has been used on silhouette matches out to 200 yds with no problem taking down the Rams after I dialed in the tang sight.
I've loaded the 357 ammo with 158 gr jsp and lil gun along with some others with 2400 for a test.
Hope to make it to the range tomorrow and give it a test run. I have a match coming up the middle of the month and they have a stage for the pistol cal rifles on gongs out to 100 yds.

BR: I always clean any new gun that comes into my stable.:) One thing with this one compared to the older 44 I bought a few yrs back is this ones not swimming in shipping oil like the 44 was. The 357 cleaned up easy compared to the 44.
I found this one on Bud's after a long long wait. I had even looked into the Win 92 short rifle and the Marlin 1894. But wanted a JM Marlin but didn't want to pay the price they were asking for the used one's.
I think for the price the Rossi is hard to beat.
Yes, the price of the Rossi was what convinced me to try one, and I am happy with it, however I was ready to retire it after the last cowboy action meet. It absolutely did not want to chamber a round. Watched a couple of youtube videos dealing with the Rossi and finally figured out that it was my own reloads that caused the issues. The cases were bulged. I cured the bulges, and me and the Rossi are back on speaking terms again.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's a shooter

Gave it a short test yesterday to start with at 50 yds. Lowered the rear sight all the way down and still shot high at 50 yds. Moved out to 100 and With a 6 o'clock hold managed to get 4 shots in a group of about 1.5". Very pleased with it so far and found a lower sight ramp for the rear sight. So when I get a chance to get back out to the range I'll get it setup. No feeding or ejection problems and it will put the empties at 5 ft behind me.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Sounds like you have a keeper. The rear sight thing has me a bit puzzled, because both of my Rossi's required setting the rear sight up on the third notch for accuracy at 80 yards. But then, each rifle will have its own personality.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
rear sight

Just got home from Idaho so didn't get back to this. I was a little confused myself because the rifle was set at the 3rd notch to start with. but shot over the target with a 6 O'clock hold at 50 yds. Hoping that the change I made with the lower ramp helps. If not then I'll go with a taller front sight. Would really like to use it this weekend in the match.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Both of my Rossi's, a .357 and a .45 Colt had the rear sight set on the lowest notch when I bought them. I tried a few rounds at that setting, but I wasn't happy, so I moved the rear sight up to the second notch. That was better, so I moved on up to the third notch. The .45 seems to like the third notch, but the .357 can't decide if it likes the third notch, or the second notch. It might be me not concentrating enough. My target is a 20" steel disc blade at a distance of 80 yards. I am too shaky to worry about bull's eyes or groupings. I am just happy to make the steel ring.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's a shooter

The change I made with the rear sight elevator ramp was all it needed for now. POA @ 25 yds now with the 158 gr JSP. At some point I'll more than likely have it DT for a receiver sight.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
This report is encouraging. I just may have to invest in a Rossi. I sure as he!! can't afford a Marlin!

·
Banned
29 Posts
I have been buying up the older pre safety rossi rifles when I come across them. I have several in 45colt. They are great guns I just don't prefer a new one with the safety. Enjoy your rifle.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Match results

Although it's an informal match it's a lot of fun. We shot last Saturday with 9 shooters that had pistol caliber lever guns. 1/2 scale silhouette Chicken,Pig,Turkey, Ram. From 25 yds out to 100 on the ram.
For the first time out with this I was impressed even though it's very light for off hand shooting it functioned flawlessly. And I was able to take 1st place with it with a score was 29 out of 40.
Lot of fun with a good group of fellow shooters for the day.

·
Registered
520 Posts
The change I made with the rear sight elevator ramp was all it needed for now. POA @ 25 yds now with the 158 gr JSP. At some point I'll more than likely have it DT for a receiver sight.
I have discovered that BOTH of my Rossi's have an issue with the rear sight. It will not stay up on the 2nd notch. Both of them end up on the first notch after firing just a few rounds. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Rear sight

I have that problem with my 44 rifle wanting to move even after changing the rear sight over to a folding leaf. The 357 rear sight seems like it's capable of moving as well but after changing the elevation ramp it's stayed on the 2nd notch (so far). The one I changed has sharper notches.

In looking at the factory ramp I think it might be worthy of filing the steps to a sharper notch. They are pretty rounded compared to the one I changed out. And the rear sight itself is not a strong spring steel like the one off my Win 94.

I'm up in the air about weather or not to just do away with the rear sight and order the bolt mounted peep sight from Steve's guns. One of the shooters at the match had that on his rifle. But I want to get a couple hundred more rounds down range first before I do that since it will void any warranty.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I have that problem with my 44 rifle wanting to move even after changing the rear sight over to a folding leaf. The 357 rear sight seems like it's capable of moving as well but after changing the elevation ramp it's stayed on the 2nd notch (so far). The one I changed has sharper notches.

In looking at the factory ramp I think it might be worthy of filing the steps to a sharper notch. They are pretty rounded compared to the one I changed out. And the rear sight itself is not a strong spring steel like the one off my Win 94.

I'm up in the air about weather or not to just do away with the rear sight and order the bolt mounted peep sight from Steve's guns. One of the shooters at the match had that on his rifle. But I want to get a couple hundred more rounds down range first before I do that since it will void any warranty.
I've been told that a peep sight makes it a little more difficult to acquire the target quickly, but I think I still want to try one. For now, I'm thinking of taking a 3 cornered file and creating a slight groove on the 2nd notch of the ramp, and maybe also on the 3rd notch.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've shot a peep sight on several of my match rifles for yr's. Also on my Model 94's and target acquisition is fast and your eye will naturally center. I see the ones offered that replace the bolt safety also have different aperture sizes as well. Another plus is you get a longer sight radius.
I also have seen a post on here from Ranger 44 that used a receiver sight for a Win 94 angle eject mounted ahead of the locking lugs. I'd just have to have my smith D&T the top of receiver. But the bolt safety replacement sight would be a simple way to go.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Here's another data point.

I have a 16" Stainless Rossi .357 Mag. The Buffalo Bore Outdoorsman 180gr FN GC chronoed 1,894 fps at 60 Deg F at the muzzle from my Labradar.

Paul

1 - 18 of 18 Posts